Aliso-Wood and Laguna Coast Wilderness Parks

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Sep 4, 2018.

1. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    I was referring just to the MS portion (MS to 4C out and back).

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Trail Stewardship Day Saturday Feb. 23, 2019. Canyon View Park staging area. Working on Rock-It (not sure what or why). There has been some talk in the past about making the end of the trail a little more interesting and less direct, but who knows?

I am guessing Rock-It is the trail LEAST in need of tuning up after the rains, but I've given up trying to figure out what the lead digger at LCF is doing and how priorities are established. I will join in mostly to have access to the decision makers and plant some seeds of other priorities, and advocate for mt. bike related adjustments rather than the anti-bike contouring that is becoming the norm in OC parks.

Click Here to sign up.

3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    XTR 29er (aka Frankenstein)
    I missed this note when it was first posted up. You're lucky you weren't hurt (more). Without a clean line, that bridge goes from being a nice trail feature to a hazard. I honestly wonder how many people doing "trail work" even ride mountain bikes. Some of the work I have seen on trails would not have been done by even the most junior rider.

Last time Motorway had major work done (before they reopened it after the last fire) some idiots went through and dug water bars so big they were actually worse than the trail damage they were designed to prevent. Better yet - several of the water bars were paved/lined on the top with grapefruit-sized rocks embedded in the dirt. WTF? Someone went far out of their way to install trail features that were both ineffective and dangerous.

Sometimes I think it might be volunteers who are hikers and just don't know any better. But other times I have to assume the people are completely ignorant of what they are doing - and no one with a clue is supervising their work.

DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Actually that was the Conservation Corps. that did the work on the Motorway. So established trailworkers....but I agree, it was badly done.

5. Derek13

Derek13 Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower and Chameleon
    All signed up and looking forward to it. Thanks for link @herzalot

herzalot likes this.
  6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Just checked ocparks. Looks like Aliso is open, but Canyon Acres, Mathis, and Car Wreck are closed due to storm damage and maintenance.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Interesting. No time today, but I'd like to get in there and see the condition of the trails. Still pissed they did not allow our work crew in there yesterday to repair and/or tune up Meadows.

Grassblade23 and littlewave like this.
  8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Im heading there right now

herzalot likes this.
  9. Josh Donovan

Josh Donovan Guest

The truth is this completely sucks!!!!

I see that OC is building more and more homes while simultaneously reducing the areas for outside activities. More people, fewer trails and recreation opportunities.
    I see it near my house. I bought here because the area was marked as permanent open space ( not protected space) and they not only closed the trails but destroyed them so no one can use them. All while building hundreds of new homes on half the open space land. So congestion and some conflict is expected. What happens? people will continue to hike and ride the areas. Humans are not meant to be locked inside staring at a screen. It's nor mentally or physically healthy.

The answer is to open more areas to recreation, not fewer. I think that the ship has sailed in protecting areas completely. We will be another LA or NYC before you know it)))

So rant aside, what can we as a demographic do?

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for chiming in.

What can we do? Attend every single trail-related meeting held by OC Parks and Laguna Canyon Foundation. And as a group, we need to rein in other riders who are oblivious to or blatantly disregard basic trail etiquette and present themselves as dangerous, rowdy, rude and entitled to other trail users.

mike, Faust29 and BonsaiNut like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Josh was a Russian spammer. He's been neutralized by He Who Wields the Hammer. @Mikie :thumbsup:

Kinda scary, though... He actually made a few posts that were on target. A new breed of scammer.

12. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Crazy how a potentially new 2' wide single track trail can disrupt "sensitive habitat" way more than miles worth of toll roads through the same areas.

Mikie, Grassblade23, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You know it!

I remember the "Irvine Open Space - Wild Forever" signs that used to stand where the Crystal Cove shopping center and McMansions are now.

But it's totally worth it to get a Trader Joe's in there!

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and Rumpled like this.
  14. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Ha! across the street from me is " previous permanent open space". :bang:

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    East and west of highway 39 used to be open, too. But now it's "wilderness" and we can't legally go there.

Be careful what you wish for.

16. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I rode Bommer and LCWP last night.... It's in rough shape. The stuff I saw in El Moro was equally as bad if not worse. Lots of rain ruts everywhere. The switch back climb on Stagecoach by the 73 has a big rut on a lot of it. There's a few sections I had to get off that I think MAY be rideable with enough momentum and line choice.

Fenceline was in great shape overall. Shows how good drainage and trail building go a long way. All of the fire roads are beat up (much like you saw in Whiting).

I don't think there's anything too major, and like how things are not perfect, but I have to say I was a bit surprised they were open given this litigious society we live in!

Grassblade23, mtnbikej and HBkites like this.
  17. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    I rode my "regular quail loop", and same of the vanilla fire roads definitely have some additional character to them.
    I was riding my SS (first time in a long time), and I never felt the need to get off my bike. It looks to me that much of the trail damage was caused by heavy equipment.
    I went up West Fork, Bommer, Lizards, Loural, Serrano, and cattle Crest. All ridable condition.

w2ChNU6p_5U-AXNMH4yg_QESWY-iVMzrnXN8mXbw8HI-1536x2048.jpg
    I found a few flowers and a billion butterflies (not pictured). Nature wow!

18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    FYI, OCFA was dozing/scraping all the fire roads in Aliso today. Westridge up to TOW, Mathis and top portion of Rockit. Seems early but I guess just cleaning them up so they can get their equipment in there in case of fire or emergency. It doesn't bother me, just traverses to the fun stuff, except the soft dirt for a couple weeks.

19. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Will be going on all week, I believe.

mtnbikej likes this.