Aliso-Wood and Laguna Coast Wilderness Parks

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Sep 4, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Darrell! Miyu, sir! We’re all good kids here.

2. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Yep, he is a one man machine. That dude has found his cause and is not screwing around.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I don't know that there is one. Many of the RADS are e-mtbikers. The local industry allies - Laguna Cyclery, Troy Lee, Crank Bros, Oakley, Rock and Road etc are either pushing or are not resistive to e-mtbs. The new generation of hardocre riders like Tommy don't live here and probably don't care. That leaves me, Gary, Brett, MattB, Andy and maybe a hundred others. Meanwhile savvy hikers are rubbing their hands in glee watching emtbikers potentially f### things up for all bikes. More likely, the anti-bikers are blissfully unaware of how the table is being set for them.

I am not a political activist in terms of rallying people to sign a petition to protect my narrow view of things. I recognize the hypocrisy of saying my kind of fun should be legal and your kind of fun is too dangerous. I am a person who sits down with top decision makers to represent our interests and present some strategies to improve the situation. That's an important influential role that suits me. Sorry if that doesn't meet your (my fellow IMTBer's) vision of what I should be doing.

MattB, Cyclotourist, kioti and 9 others like this.
  4. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Not sure if this is an appropriate use of the word hypocrisy, as it’s entirely appropriate for you to call out some folks’ kind of fun as too dangerous...I’m 100% against allowing wingsuiting in Aliso, and not ashamed to say so. But point taken—we are a group with a self interest that shapes our arguments.

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    :eek::gag::confused::thumbsdown:

herzalot, MattB, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Sir. Certainly not pointing to you to take on the role as the rallying of the Pure Cycle Avengers. Just pointing out that this dude, however wrong he may be is working his issue. Not to go political but with our current hair brain spectrum we have in office nowadays, I'm concerned about your OC Park test tube becoming an example for other parts of our Country.
    I think organizations like the Sierra Club are just licking their lips and chomping at the bit to strike at the right moment with a very significant blow.

Does anyone keep a pulse on their organization? They seem very quiet on this front. Scares me.

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That was hard to read with the all caps introduction and the bad grammar. I wouldn't sign his letter just for that. o_O

The National Forest Service was so much clearer in their directive. No wiggle room. Keep the nuts in the trees.

herzalot, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    MTB access at one or two highly impacted county parks seems way below their radar. They do occasionally push wilderness proposals for the northern Santa Anas that would close out the last local zone for new trail building. But recently the push was more for National Monument designation rather than wilderness, which would probably exclude new road building into OC from riverside, but wouldn’t automatically exclude MTB.

9. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    My first thought on reading this was, "Maybe they should make Weir eBike friendly since I always hear people trashing it."

LOL

You sure about that? Speed traps are illegal.
    Wow.
    While I have no desire for an eBike, this nanny-state narcissism is part of why I couldn't care less about where they ride. This isn't much different than the HOHA mindset.

Almost invariably when one part of a persecuted community starts feasting on its own members, this line of thinking is the justification.
    The Hunting Fudds say, "If we let them ban the scary looking black rifles, they won't come for our guns."
    The Rottweiler folks might think "If we let they ban Pits, they won't restrict my Rotty."
    Street bike guys might be unconcerned with ever increasing restrictions on dirt motos, because they don't ride off road.
    It's an extension of Niemöller's First They Came...
    Those who feel entitled to dictate how others recreate aren't going to spare our access no matter how much we tell them, "But, but, but we're on your side."
    The banhammer is inexorably coming for all of us, and shoving someone else in front of it won't save us.

Someone not religiously devoted to hatred of eBikes, might justifiably say the same about a number of folks in this thread.

I know this may come as a shock to us here, but some folks actually use eBikes on paved surfaces exclusively.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    There isn't a single negative thing said in this thread about ebikes on pavement. That's where they are legal... As a mountain bike site, we care about their increased presence on dirt. Dirt on which the land managers have determined they do not belong.

11. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    You suggested that Pedego doesn't market to pavement users. The only commercial I have seen for Pedego involves old people on bike paths.

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I mentioned their target market, not their marketing materials... There is a difference.

The CEO of Pedego, when asked specifically about the use of e-bikes in unauthorized areas, responded repeatedly by stating their benefits on pavement, thus completely avoiding the question. I wonder why? The RSM Pedego store is less than a 1 minute bike ride from O'Neill Park, where I saw two of them today. That isn't a coincidence.

13. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    If it hadn't been for this thread, I wouldn't have even know they made mtbs.

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    From the RSM Pedego site... I live in RSM. The only bike trails are in O'Neill and Caspers.

2C8157C9-D448-4895-BF1B-3961E35CDC4B.png

15. Mo Awesome

Mo Awesome Member

Name:
    MoAwesome
    Current Bike:
    All of them
    Still haven’t seen an e bike up here. Lots of rock slabs though! The double blacks are legal out here and are literal death! So much open land, so many friendly riders. Respected trail builders. Everyone rides and best of all the A&W has beyond meat vegan burgers and the US dollar is giving us 25%off everything!

622DA50E-0330-4CCB-BF76-63C62248C38B.jpeg

16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Amazing country up there!!!

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Cut your hair, you damn hippie! :mad: :D

Here is the Mo that I knew, fixing a flat on his Tallboy on Lynx in 2013.
    Mo Fixes Flat on Lynx.JPG

That Tallboy got smushed on the back of his car when he got rear ended.
    6 pack of beer to anyone who can accurately list all of the bikes Mo has owned since then.

And no, I am totally not jealous of your rides. :whistling:

18. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    My request for ebikers:
    In the mid 60s my father in-law pedaled from Michigan to eastern Washington to get to a summer job on a farm.

My father-in-law lost a leg in a childhood farm accident.

Tell me again about your excuse.

19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I guess my question is, now that you have been educated that there are eMTB’s and they are noted as a motorized vehicle and now causing confusion and potential loss of trail access...
    How would you feel about that?

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think... And may be wrong... That he was referring to Pedego's history in the e-bike business. They've been at it a long time... mid 2000s. They produced commuter type e-bikes. That is what they were known for.

Recently, however, they have added an enduro type e-motorcycle, as well as a hardtail motorcycle. More and more of which we're seeing where they do not belong...

21. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    It looks like the Rangers are actually starting to enforce in Oaks ... @ 1.10ish.

Good to see Rangers out there. Hopefully the enforcement also puts and end to the eBikes.

If we really want to get rid of the eBikes, we all need to stop riding illegal trails as well. We are hypocrites otherwise.

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    What a hack......missed just about every turn on Cactus.

And yeah, that trail he started down to get to Waterfall....has never been legal.

23. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Just like Tommy, he knew it was illegal. Otherwise, his first words upon seeing Rangers would not have been "Oop, is this illegal?" :Roflmao

24. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Just a little late, I was there ~2 hours before, I encountered plenty of motor vehicles.

Obsidian, Mikie and Dirtrider.... like this.
  25. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Lol, that's my buddy and I at 4:23 in that video. Obviously, I saw that guy out there... he's a hack and was busy trying to be the next POV internet star.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yeah, saw you guys pass him on the video.

27. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    that was hard to watch.

28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Maybe for a local, but I thought it was pretty good. Nice smooth camera work, mellow attitude, not the first to lose it in some of those sections. First decent video I've seen of those trails, and he's got one of Laguna Coast, too.

Amazing how desolate both parks look. I'm hoping we have a good winter and can clean a lot of that up. Painful to see so little brush out there, but really cool the parks are allowing us access before it all grows back. I see some good narrowing work on a few sections with by SHARE, I'd imagine, but plenty of ruts and loose dirt as well.

Here's the LCW one with Lizard and TnA:

29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    His friend in front had a perfect record on the second trail... He skidded through 100% of the turns- Didn't need to roll a single one!

They should only allow slicks in the parks. No Minions. They bring up way too much earth when locked up... :p

Dirtrider...., Redman, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  30. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    2017-Schwalbe-G-One-low-profile-gravel-sand-tires02.jpg