Aliso and Woods Canyon Fire 6/2/2018

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knucklebuster, Jun 2, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Had no idea they were planning on opening it up. People were getting ticketed on it recently is all I know.

DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  2. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm not saying there was anything currently in the works, because I don't know. But I think it was listed in the original draft.

The ticketing, according to 2nd hand info, was that it was on an offshoot of Nestalls that rolls over some rocks with sensitive habitat. Not confirmed.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    No. Not windy in Laguna all afternoon, nor along Crown Valley when I was there at 4:00pm.

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  4. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Yeah that's the section where the tickets were given aka the Oh henry part of Nestalls. A couple of friends of friends got nabbed there.

5. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    200 acres now and TOW is on mandatory evacuation. Hopefully a few of my friends up there don't lose their homes. :bang:

6. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    OCFA is saying erratic canyon wind driven fire with extreme fire behavior.

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  7. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    That makes sense, but I'm surprised the brush is so dry. Also, doesn't TOW have a wide fuel reduction area at the top of the slope. I remember seeing grass-eating goats up there for years..

8. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Yeah, the goats are in laguna as we speak. Not sure if they were in that area yet though.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

They are also requesting 2 more dozers to open up Mathis

tbarnesarc and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Praying there's no 1993 repeat.

11. pdqmach26

pdqmach26 Member

Name:
    Bob
    Goats were up behind the school about 3 months ago.

kioti and tbarnesarc like this.
  12. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    @Runs with Scissors Tell me about it. That was a scary time here. Good thing the conditions today in laguna are nothing like the 93 fires luckily. Hopefully that wind dies down in Aliso Cyn though!

13. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    From OCFA twitter

Aliso Fire: Mandatory evacuations beginning in the City of Aliso Viejo in the area of Wood Canyon and Pacific Park to Wood Canyon and Laurel. Approx 2000 homes.

14. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Is there a "Let it burn" policy in the park?

mtnbikej likes this.
  15. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    No idea Jim but here's the latest from OCFA: "Aliso Fire: Firefighters continue to make good progress with little to no wind. Crews will remain throughout the night and day tomorrow working on remaining hotspots and securing a line around the fire. Fire still at 0% contained. #AlisoFire"

DangerDirtyD, kioti and mtnbikej like this.
  16. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I dont think so, due to the relatively small area and proximity to homes.

17. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
  18. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  19. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    just read that burned area downgraded to 120 acres

20. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Cyclotourist, kioti, Stkx66 and 2 others like this.
  21. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    According to cbs news: The Aliso Fire, which was downgraded from 250 acres to 120 acres, was first reported at 1:07 p.m. local time in Wood Canyon behind Soka University, Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Tony Bommarito said.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aliso-...-beach-wood-canyon-latest-updates-2018-06-02/
    just trying to be optimistic. Hope the park wont be closed for a year or something, and burn area just at dripping cave trail and not closing car wreck , rockit, etc. 2 years ago the fire in lcwp was 50 acres, and only impacted tna. The park opened before too long but tna was closed for a few months longer.

22. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    2006 Draft Resource Management Plan (page 99, 7.3.6): http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?rep=rep1&type=pdf&doi=10.1.1.126.7662

4. Birthday Trail (aka Nestall). The unauthorized Birthday Trail connects the Dripping Cave Trail to Nestall Road. Many existing unauthorized trails access AWCWP from this general location. Formalizing and improving the Birthday Trail would connect the TOW community to Wood Canyon via Dripping Cave Trail. The Birthday Trail provides the needed link for a desirable loop from TOW at Alta Laguna Park down to Dripping Cave Trail, to Mathis Trail, and up Car Wreck Trail to merge again with Upper Mathis Trail and back to TOW. With authorization of the Birthday Trail the other unauthorized trails in the vicinity would be closed and restored back to a natural vegetated habitat.

23. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    12 years ago?

Cyclotourist, kioti and Rumpled like this.
  24. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    They don't want to rush things.

25. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Opening nestalls makes a lot of sense

tbarnesarc likes this.
  26. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Would be awesome if they opened it. Glad the fire has been downgraded to 120 acres. Still not good but at least it's not as big as we thought. Hopefully the entire park won't be closed, just the areas affected. fingers crossed.

herzalot, kioti and Cyclotourist like this.
  27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Don't be hasty...

28. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Creative writing. That is draft report. Did agencies comment on that text?

kioti, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  29. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I don't know, mr. @DangerDirtyD! Here's info from the 2009 RMP on OC Parks website:
    http://www.ocparks.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=22978

7.3.6 New Park Trails

Recommendations for new trails respond to recognized destinations, prominent view locations and desirable off-site destinations described above. In some instances, the existing trail network does not provide sufficient opportunities for loop trail experiences. In response, several of the recommendations below formalize an existing unauthorized trail in order to achieve needed loops and/or connections.

1. Nestall Trail (Birthday Trail). Originating at the midpoint of Nestall Road, the Nestall Trail connects Nestall Road/Alta Laguna Boulevard at the Top of the World to the Dripping Cave Trail. This trail is extremely steep (elevation gain of 600 feet) and technical, crossing through the east facing hillside. Current conditions render uphill mountain biking very difficult and switchbacks would need to be added to protect native plants and enhance trail safety. In addition, authorization of this existing unauthorized trail would require signing and maintenance along most of its 1.25-mile length.

30. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Evacuations have been lifted for the TOW neighborhoods! Woohoo! Sounds like they have it under control now. Phew! That was a little too close for comfort. Glad no homes were lost.

"Effective 6:00 p.m., evacuation orders for all Laguna Beach residents in the Top of the World and Old Top of the World areas have been lifted. All displaced residents are able to return to their homes at this time. Please do so in a safe and responsible manner. The City of Laguna Beach greatly appreciates your compliance during the fire incident and we are happy to report no structure loss. The City wants to sincerely thank all residents affected by the evacuation for their cooperation during this fire emergency.

Over 1500 Laguna Beach residents were initially evacuated. The Laguna Beach Fire Department, Orange County Fire Authority, CalFire, Laguna Beach Police Department and Orange County Sheriff’s Department all responded to the fire. Laguna Beach City Administrators monitored the fire continually from the City’s Emergency Operations Center.

The Care and Reception Evacuation Center the City opened for evacuees at the Susi Q Community Center will be closing immediately. Residents at the Center need to make arrangements to return to their homes."

Grabbed the images below from Laguna's City wastebook page:

34386218_2196303050396794_3333835193764020224_o.jpg 34274560_2196302910396808_3035210373985730560_o.jpg 34461031_2196302960396803_7206394981643190272_o.jpg 34319678_2196303000396799_1524020822308552704_o.jpg 34383984_2196300490397050_5147873691324907520_o.jpg

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?