Aliso and lcwp to test bike-only one-way designations

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by sir crashalot, May 4, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Major work brewing on tna. Looks like they’re filling in rutted out right-hand line by the rock roller and putting a berm at the bottom, just in time for the trail to be bikes/downhill only.
    upload_2021-5-12_7-14-28.jpegupload_2021-5-12_7-14-28.jpegupload_2021-5-12_7-14-28.jpeg

Faust29, herzalot, bvader and 8 others like this.
  2. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    @sir crashalot Thanks for posting pics. A friend brought the trail work to my attention, but wasn't clear as to what lines were being blocked or if the entire rock roller and drop were being re-routed. Nice Banshee btw!

3. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    thanks! unclear if the roller will be left intact or not. right now its not blocked as its the only way to go besides the huck!

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  4. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Hmm confused... Curious what the end goal is...

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Farkh - that's the only part of the trail that gets me a little nervous. Of course, I've never had the juevos to try any of the other four lines - the vertical roller, the other vertical roller, the 5' huck or the far left nonsense.

sir crashalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I think the main end goal is filling in that rutted-out right-hand line somewhat and putting a big berm at the bottom of it. Hope they leave the roller as an option. Not that i hit it these days in my old age but many do

7. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Rode tna the other night with Taylor,, not sure if the work is all done but the rope fence is gone and the sandbags are used up. There is now a huge, nicely built, but soft and silty berm at the bottom the right-hand line. So it could be good after a significant
    rain with some re-work and re-tamping (I.E in 7 months). And some of the bottom of the rut is filled in with loose dirt. I didnt ride it because its seems little sketchy, you have keep some speed over the top rocks and I have a feeling the front wheel could just plow into the soft dirt at the bottom berm and stop dead

bvader, herzalot, tick and 2 others like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Hmmmm....still trying to figure out what the plus side of riding there is. It's not coming to me.

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Fun and challenging trails.

bvader, sir crashalot, RIGID and 2 others like this.
  10. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I think that was the work of Hans and his crew because they're mtn bikes. I think it's Bellfree construction. But, maybe OC Parks hired them again? (fingers crossed.)

Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

It's not the FLoop

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    And???? :rolleyes:

13. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    So I rode TnA

first minor rant.. wow the trails are so beat up I can't help but think that there is so many more people out, many on enhanced bikes that just don't know how to ride a trail with Grace, how to work with the trail not against it.

Real mountain bikers were out numbered by ebikes 2:1 today and that was late in the afternoon.

Probably amplified cuz I was just tired and sloggy today.

Anywhoooo

At the Crux I approve of what they did not over sanitized they're just making that right line a little more sustainable when you hit the bottom and have to do the sharp left, it was going to break off / and just disappear because
    I think again people are slamming down into that on big heavy bikes and then skidding at the bottom so it's been reinforced.

It does need some water but I think they needed to do it before it just completely disintegrated.

All the other lines the rollers and the big boys are still there.

So I approve (hehehe)

What I actually applaud is further down on the next couple sets of rocks gardens and good stuff, there is fencing to block off all the high right hand side p-lines in other words forcing you into the rocks / center of the trail which in my opinion is what you should be riding if you're on TNA in the first place.

So I actually applaud that I think they're trying to narrow the trail back down a little bit.

One thing I was looking around a bit and the first big drop immediately after the Crux on the left side hit a bit hard and then my bike squeaked for the rest of the ride hopefully I didn't break anything.

It was nice there was no one else on the trail the entire time except for right before I left a very fit runner came running up it like it was nothing he acted like he didn't know but he said he didn't see a single person so so be it.

Sorry no pics ... Just kept movingPXL_20210522_225932946.jpg

11.5/ 1800

14. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    This afternoon was relatively quiet at Oaks. Only passed by one ebike, it looked like everyone else was pedaling.

I’m ready for the new signs. I encountered a pedestrian on Chutes Ridgeline, right at the step-down. I normally take the p-line these days because the jump is blind, and the trail is different/worse every week. So I ended up getting a little extra adventure.

Dang the park is thrashed.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    There is a high right line on T and A on the lower section that is anything but a p-line! I hope that’s not blocked off. It’s far more fun and more challenging than the obvious line.

Honestly, that’s my favorite part of the trail.

16. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I am all for one way trails, but those signs also might be the first step on the path to getting rid of us ....

I always hit that blind rock on Chutes on faith alone .. but I might reevaluate and take the P-Line next time I am there since it has been so long.

I fully agree that everything is getting worse. The end of the initial Lizard DH in Laguna is super fjacked up right now ... I have never seen it like that. Years ago after a bad crash I adopted the many lines theory .... be ready for anything. It came in handy a few days ago on Lizard. Damn.

17. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    5 oaks back open yet? Anybody have any reports on the finished trailwork?

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  18. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Maybe we are talking about different spots ... Mostly dirt marked off not rocks, as far as I could tell.. as I sped by. ;)

Mentally I have like five little sections after the crux... Not sure which one you are referring to.

Go look report back...

Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  19. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I know exactly where you're referring to. Dont remember seeing a rope fence there since ive been hitting the "obvious" line. I saw they blocked off the new-ish easier far-right roller line at the very last drop, which appeared when the drop got deeper recently.

20. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Answered my own question this morning. First weekend morning ride since covid started, since im now fully vaxxed. Aliso wasnt even that crowed, but i was out early. They fixed that corner they ruined on 5 oaks last summer, put in a really nice packed-down berm! Hikers coming up and down 5 oaks on a weekend morning, ugh. Thats the trail they should make bike only dh only, and add a legal separate uphill trail for a one-way loop.

Faust29, Obsidian, bvader and 2 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well that sounds promising. How do you suppose they packed down a berm without water?

I like your idea of a separate legal uphill trail, but cutting another trail isn't going to happen.

Faust29, Cyclotourist and bvader like this.
  22. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @herzalot

Was thinking / replaying about your TNA question on my ride today.

Pretty sure I know where you're talking about kind of narrows into a rock garden with the obvious kind of easier line on a kind of angled slate and up to the right is the line where you ride across the tops of the rooks and the pawn rocks... Yeah that was still there that was fine.

Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  23. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    Random pics of the lower section as of today (5/23/2021)

thumbnail_IMG_1948.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1947.jpg

image6.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

24. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Wow pic 1 and 2... Looks like more work was done ... Looks like it was filled in more up higher... Much more than yesterday? ... Hmm perhaps perspective... that is the right line right next to the big roller? Yesterday at the top of that it was still pretty "original / through the rock gaps.

Faust29, Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Those first two pictures make me cry. That slot as it was was the only spot on the trail that made me pucker a little, now it's smooth as a baby's butt. FAHCKSHITDAMMIT!!!!

Faust29, bvader, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  26. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    This is after the rock gap. It's still there with a wee bit of sanitation. I'm sure after a nice storm the dirt will be washed away. I couldn't get that shot due to a large hiking group coming up.
    The berm will really help. You can take that section pretty hot and over the edge. Don't ask me how I know:bang:.

Faust29, bvader, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  27. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    :laugh::Roflmao

bvader likes this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    It's not nice to laugh at my misery...

bvader and DangerDirtyD like this.
  29. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Well maybe me and you are going to need to pucker up and do the roller! (Probably not but I have watched @Makoto make it look easy) ... Hopefully that slot will rut back up soon...hell the rate the trails are rotting I give it a week ...

mtnbikej and DangerDirtyD like this.
  30. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    That was incidental. I was trying to laugh at your expression of misery. At least you made a funny out of it.

bvader likes this.