Advice on purchasing bike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Erckalf, Jul 18, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  2. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    All I know is that’s a downhill lovin’ beast!:inlove:
    I’m sure you’ll get lots of excellent advice here :thumbsup:

mike, Mikie, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I have a hard time paying more than $4k for a bike, especially used. Hard to comment on price beyond that, without knowing its condition.

Have you demo'd a number of bikes to see what suspension platforms you like? Some people love VPP and others love DW link. What sort of riding do you do most? Do you need a bike with that much travel? Will you be able to test ride it to confirm component spec and condition?

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That's a great all around beast of a bike! You will likely never need more. That said, are you sure that's the style of bike you seek? It's oriented for chunky and rowdy all-around riding wth a DH preference. It sits between the Nomad (rowdier) and the 5010 (more all-around) in the 27.5" wheel category. I can't speak to what changed after the 2017 version, if anything.

I've never spent more than $3900 for a new bike, so I am not one to speak to what you should spend for this used bike. I would say $3k or less. The owner will be trying to get top dollar because of the Enve wheels with i9 hubs and Eagle drivetrain.

I run the Cane Creek DB Air Inline on my 2015 Tracer. It plays really well with VPP suspension. If it is not Inline, the piggyback may interfere with a water bottle.

OTHRider, mike, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The 2019 5010/SOLO V2 is a lot of bike in itself. I think the updates they did to the V2 are all really good, and would recommend that over a Bronson. My friend has one and she just absolutely loves it. They'll start going on sale at Backcountry around Thanksgiving FYI...

mike, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Have you ever ridden carbon wheels? Some love... Some hate. If you are a lighter rider and not super aggro on your components. I'd say skip the carbon wheels. That said... I'd say the bike is in the over $4k range w/ carbon hoops.

IF I remember correctly the Torch I9 rear is LOUD. If that's the case, I'd skip on this bike just because of that. Me likey quite hubs.

~JB~, Stkx66, mike and 10 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Consider terrain and riding preferences. Understandably, newer riders are learning how/what they like to ride, so nailing down the perfect bike early on usually doesn't happen. At a point you have to jump in, but as I mentioned and these guys are suggesting, trying some different things before pulling the trigger is beneficial. Wheel sizes, travel, suspension platforms, components...it's worth renting or demo'ing a bunch. Try not to get all leapy for one bike that comes along – there are millions of bikes and deals now and later. Think about the riding – that informs the bike buying.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It is a buyer's market. Enve rims don't necessarily pump the price up. They are pricey when new, but don't play well with Maxxis tires.

The Bronson is a beast of a bike, especially if you are new to riding.

Danmtchl, Redman, mike and 9 others like this.
  9. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    I'd be buying the bike for $3k.

~JB~, kazlx, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  10. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Thanks for the info!

Danmtchl, herzalot, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  11. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai
    That's a good deal for $3k. I've been casually looking at used Bronsons for the last 3 years and rarely saw similar builds for $3k.

Danimal, Danmtchl, mike and 6 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That is a beast of a bike... As the others have said, it's purpose built for going downhill over obstacles the size of small children. Less suited to cross country type riding... While bouncy is great for rocks, it becomes a real drag (literally) on more casual rides.

Either way, though, I wouldn't buy used without someone really checking it out, and I'd want to know the history it has had. Santa Cruz frames are guaranteed for life to the original owner... Not the second. And these things do break. I've broken two SC hardtail frames in the last year, both of which were replaced under warranty.

~JB~, Danimal, Danmtchl and 9 others like this.
  13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Depends on the quality of what "used" means... but that bike would cost $6500-$7000 today (new) if you built it yourself. Retail would be more.

I can't even find a new Bronson CC frame for less than $3K. The XX1 Eagle drivetrain costs $1400 new - having just bought one a few months ago.

SRAM is a private company based in Chicago. It is a well-known brand in the US but the rest of the world it is almost unknown. Because it is a fraction of the size of Shimano, its components tend to be more expensive - and there tends to be fewer places to buy them. For example, you can often buy Shimano components in China to save $$$, but SRAM you will usually never see.

~JB~, Danimal, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Actually both Shimano and SRAM have tightened down as of June 1st when it comes to buying their components overseas and shipping them to the US.

Many of the Non-US online shops won’t even show the Shimano/SRAM components on the website if your location says US. Other specify that they won’t ship to the US.

For SRAM, this includes Rock Shox.

Danimal, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  15. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    If you are a newer rider, it would be my advice to work on your fundamentals of riding, as well as the fundamentals of high end MTB ownership before tossing a few grand+ at a used bike. Do you have a nice bike rack on your car? A safe place to store it? Do you understand suspension setup & maintenance intervals? The list is endless, this is just a few examples.

I spent 1,500 miles on 3x8 Raleigh hardtail before buying on a similarly spec'd used Nomad (<$2k) recently. Ride were always a learning experience, they were never glamorous, and sometimes embarrassing, but I advocate for a similar route to anyone else getting into riding, spend a year or two on a cheap bike. If you can make it through that, and all the hard work that will be needed to come out with a smile on your face while asking for more, you are going to love riding a modern purpose built MTB when the time comes.

I would not buy a bike w/ carbon rims, that is not a place on the bike where rigidity is necessary. Aluminum wheels are far more forgiving. The Torch hub will be much calmer than other i9 hubs. I would have trouble paying over 2500 for that bike, the rims are not a selling point for me.

We all need reminders occasionally that it is our fitness, confidence, and experience holding us back, not the equipment. Ride more, want other Sh!t less.

~JB~, Earn Your View, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  16. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have a garage, roof rack, and plenty of fitness. What I do lack is skills

~JB~, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 7 others like this.
  17. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    That is good to hear, you are starting off on a much better foot than I did. Regrettably, no amount of money in the world will replace the need for skills, and with riding a bike, there are no easy buttons. The only thing you can do is put your head down and put in the work. Hard work is always rewarded, short cuts create frustration.

It looks like you are close to Santiago Oaks, we should go for a ride there soon, skills are something I have decent supply of, as well as an instructors background to relay difficult concepts. That park is great for working on specific skills on stand alone features. My good buddy who bought my old budget hardtail rides Oaks all the time, as he works up the skills to start riding the hardtail in Laguna/Aliso with me.

~JB~, Earn Your View, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  18. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Let's do it!

I'm moving out of state on the 28th. Maybe we can ride before that if you have time.

~JB~, Mikie, MrGreedom and 8 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That deserves a quote and a hell yes!

20. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Well the bike sold. And it wasn't me buying it. I appreciate everyone's opinion!

~JB~, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I'm not having any problem finding Shimano parts in China:

Save $300 on a Shimano groupset...

Of course, you have to limit your order to 3600 groupsets quantity or less :)

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The German sites were my go-to for many years... still great for Schwalbe tires, but no longer for SRAM parts :-(

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sorry you lost your opportunity. Let's assume it was too good to be true.

What is it about your Motobecane that you don't like or that is prompting you to replace it?

24. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm gonna go with "upgradeitis." It afflicts everyone now and then. We think if we just get better equipment we'll be (insert desired improvement) when in reality it's more along the lines of the approach stated by....ummm... @Stubborn Approach .

25. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    My friends wouldn't let me ride my internet purchased 26 inch mtn. bike in Lake Havasu when I showed up with it 2 years ago. I hadn't ridden trails yet or know what I was getting into as far as mountain biking goes.

They said: " Is that your bike?"
    Me: " Um.. yeah "
    They: " That's it? That's your bike? "
    Me: " Um.. well yes.. that's what I have ."
    They: " We have a bike for you. "

After my first G-out on the trail I believe they saved me from certain injury. They loaned me a Scotts hardtail, front suspension, seat dropper with 3.0 tires on it. ( And after that ride that's when the bug bit )

Danmtchl, ~JB~, DangerDirtyD and 7 others like this.
  26. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Not that there's anything wrong with buying that and you would most likely be stoked at set for a while, it's hard not to argue that most (well-known) bikes are pretty damn solid. It really comes down to personal preference and you should try to throw a leg over as many as possible. Maybe a rent a few different bikes as it will give you a better idea of what you might want.

Even though it's sold, I think 3k would have been a steal, 3500 would have probably fair and 4k would be towards giving the seller a good deal. You'd be surprised how many newish bikes, even though they retail for quite a bit, come from sponsored riders or shop employees or some sort of discount. There are people that pay full pop retail for brand new bikes, but I wouldn't let that sway getting yourself a good deal or let them try to use that as leverage.

BTW, I love carbon wheels.

~JB~, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  27. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    I bought stkx66 Bronson over the weekend.

Couldn't be more happy with the purchase.

~JB~, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 9 others like this.
  28. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Congrats on the new to you bike!!

Danmtchl, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Awesome. :thumbsup:

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yay! That's the way to do it. Now by the time you go to your next bike, you will have enough experience under your belt to know exactly what you want.

Please keep posting and don't forget about us!

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?