About to Start - Marlin 6

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by deesalsa25, Jun 8, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @Cyclotourist Stickers removed! They peeled off so easily.
    @DangerDirtyD The frame is a size Large. The guys at the shop told me to bring it back again in about a month for another maintenance check-up (free maintenance and checks for 60 days) and they told me to take advantage of it. I think I will ask them to lower it then. I'd do it myself but I feel like I would just mess it up or something.
    @SnakeCharmer Thanks bro! What kind of bike do you have now?

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You're golden with a large, per Salsa sizing. You're at the bottom end of the size bracket. Still weird with 40mm of spacers set up by a shop, maybe more so. Maybe move half of those spacers above the stem and see how it feels.

3. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @mike Copy that. Am I in big danger riding the way it is now for another Month? Or is this just OK for now? Plz and thank you.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Meet up to ride with one of us and we’ll show you. If you find yourself pushing 20mph on dirt, there is some risk. Not a lot, but enough to mention.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I was just typing that same advice... :Roflmao

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    My best answer to that was given by @DangerDirtyD. :geek:

If you can't meet up with someone you trust, just run by your LBS and have them do it on the way to your next ride so we don't have to theorize about when catastrophic failure happens or doesn't.

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My current hardtail is a Vassago Jabberwocky and my current full suspension is a Trek Fuel EX. I don't always keep bikes (frames) for a long time, though. I like to try different frames and move the parts over to them. I've always got one eye open looking for a good deal on the frames that I am interested in.

8. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @SnakeCharmer The Vassago bike looks like a fun ride. The Trek does too. Saw the price, closed the page LOL.

@mike @Faust29 @DangerDirtyD Feeling a little paranoid about riding again because of the stem issue lol. I am thinking maybe I should just take it into my lbs and ask them to remove those two top spacers. I am free all day next Thursday if anyone wants to do anything locally!

Also, got this tube strap today. Like it much better this way than stuffed in my mini frame bag.

IMG_6546.JPG

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Sorry to make you paranoid about the stem. It's fine for now. By the time you start smashing rocks and doing drops, you will know more about how you want your cockpit.

All this talk of spacers deflected you away from my first concern, which was finding your optimum saddle height (for climbing) and locking that in as your highest extension of your dropper post - so that the saddle goes to the exact same desired location every time you unweight it and push the dropper lever. When your saddle is lower than optimal, you burn out leg muscles quickly and put a lot of pressure on your knees and back.

Go back to this post, for your post.

10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'm not worried about your stem... you'll live. But don't ride around with the valve stem exposed like that! You'll fall and put an eye out!!!!!

For reals though, it'll abrade your paint and you'll be pissed. Take the tube off, and re-fold it with the stem on the very inside. Keep a valve cover on it so that the tip doesn't puncture the tube (unlikely, but could happen).

And hey, it looks faster already without those stickers!

Faust29, mike, CBone and 3 others like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'd add to that to cover the valve stem with your tube boot. It'll keep it handy if you need it and protect the tube from abrasion while riding.

12. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Great minds think alike! Protect that paint. Too many of us have damaged the paint in some way that is unrelated to actually riding our bikes. Bad bike racks and my bike rubbing on another bike during transport come to mind. Rock chips, crash marks, etc. are all bad, but we can live with that because if you ride your bike a lot it happens.
    Have fun @Demetrio GQ

herzalot, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yes, earned scars are legit, but having your bike scratched up from falling over after being leaned on a fence is a pisser!

14. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @Runs with Scissors @Cyclotourist @CBone Confirmed will wrap it with the valve stem on the inside with a valve cover as soon as I get a valve cover. Agreed on protecting the paint. I am hauling the bike around in my bed as I wait for my 2-bike holding tailgate pad. Thanks, Cbone!

@herzalot I am thinking about going back on Tuesday and just asking them to remove those two top spacers. I feel I could make that climbing turn if it was dropped a little. Excuse me if I'm using the wrong terminology lol. I saw my Strava app and saw the fasted speed I went was 17 mph so yeah, better safe than sorry. I am also looking into the optimal saddle position right now. I used my freshly purchased crank brothers tool to loosen the collar bolt and lowered the post. Now, the seat goes to the optimum position for me when I climb, based on the slightly flexed leg note you mentioned. It is now locked in at the highest proper extension whenever I need it. Thanks for that tip. I can already tell that it is going to help the next time I ride.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'm stunned that neither @SnakeCharmer nor @Runs with Scissors debated and disagreed with my advice on the saddle height. They must be out riding or something. They never miss an opportunity to contradict! Hope you guys are OK!

16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I do not address issues with droppers. Because, as we all know, they're drama queens. :rolleyes::laugh:

Saddle height, much like other intensely personal items, is to be figured out as one goes along. Comfort is king.

17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Not me, I fully agree with you. I'm gonna meet up with Dee next week and I will watch him ride to see how he is positioned on his bike, saddle height being the most important factor, IMO.

18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    This has to be the longest "hey I'm here" thread ever. :laugh:

mike, DangerDirtyD and SnakeCharmer like this.
  19. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @Runs with Scissors I'm grateful for all of you and for this intro post lol. Otherwise, I'd be out there looking like a jackwagon with my high ass seat, fully stickered out of the box bike, and no gear lol.