About to Start - Marlin 6

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by deesalsa25, Jun 8, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Way too kind...

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Come on, man. It's been so long that you've forgotten I've ridden with you??? People deserve honest reportage...but your humility is appreciated. :p:thumbsup:

Mikie, Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  3. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Got my phone mount. Looks firm safe and solid. I will like being able to see where I am on trails from here. I didn't like my phone being in my pocket.

Got my two douchie mactching water bottles lol.

And got my little car seat organizer to hold some gear

IMG_8580.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

IMG_8161.JPG

Mikie, CBone, pperrelle and 7 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The car caddy thing is pretty cool, I like!

Now time for sticker removal project!

product-fan-pro-strength-remover.jpg

5. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @Cyclotourist Was literally thinking about how to remove those!! Except the one with emergency contact info lol.

6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Is all that cool gear rolling around in/on a Tacoma on Methods with K02s? Seems like you have the program pretty well figure out.

8. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @buggravy Very close lol. Chevy Colorado, KMC XD301's with BFG KO2's!

@DangerDirtyD Adding that to my to-do list. Thanks!

pperrelle, DangerDirtyD and buggravy like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Great :thumbsup:

How much spacer you got under that stem???! :geek:

10. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Not sure why? Did I miss something? Lol

herzalot, mike, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    30 mm is the most that fork manufacturers allow. Beyond that, you're on your own as far as safety goes. If you need higher hands, you can get riser bars and/or a riser stem. Before you do that though, understand that an appropriately aggressive riding position for MtB would be you saddle about 2-3" higher than your hands when saddle is in full climb position.

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Not really. That much spacer under the stem is somewhat unusual. You might see it on frames too small for the rider or bikes of riders with back or neck issues.

Is your seat at full extension about the same height as your handlebar?

13. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Up close pic of the stem
    Pic of the seat as low as possible
    Pic of the seat positioned when I climb

77BB481A-3BA0-493B-B9FA-F8100455CD0C.jpeg

A51239F3-39D5-4B9A-9235-FAC4759CD5D2.jpeg

6DD096AA-FC21-4FBC-B272-8C44A9EDBFC0.jpeg

pperrelle, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    OK, first, let's talk climbing extension. Sit on your bike and balance against a wall. Put your heels on your pedal. Your knee should be locked out (but just barely) with your heel on the pedal at the 6:00 position, and your ass on the saddle. Not dipping your hip. That will have your leg slightly flexed when actually riding (with ball of foot on pedal). Then, check your hand position. If your grips are higher than your saddle, your h-bar is too high.

Also - once you have your climbing extension figured out, measure the distance from the middle of your bottom bracket (the crank axle) to the top of your saddle. Memorize it (mine is 32" exactly). Make sure that's exactly where your saddle goes when you press your dropper post lever. If your saddle goes higher than that, loosen the collar and push your post down lower. If it doesn't quite go there, loosen the collar bolt and raise the post a little until it's in the right position at full extension.

You're welcome!

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Unless that's uncomfortable. Then it's not.

Faust29, mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    As you know, when your hands are higher than your saddle, you end up with too much weight on your ass. Great for beach cruisers with comfy seats, not great for climbing hills on a mt. bike.

Faust29, Voodoo Tom, mike and 2 others like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Oh, I dunno. My hands are higher than my saddle and I do okay at climbing, and my ass does just fine. :rolleyes:

18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    By all means, toy with bar height. Move spacers from below to above the bars; find what works for you. Whatever you do, do NOT cut the steerer tube until you're absolutely sure it's what you want.

Faust29, Voodoo Tom, mike and 3 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You sir, are a freak of nature then. You and your 71° head angle!

Can we at least agree on how a dropper post should be set?

Oh wait...

Faust29, Voodoo Tom, mike and 3 others like this.
  20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    But wait - let's confuse it some more . I have no idea - and couldn't possibly care any less - what the HA was on my XTC with its stock 100mm fork. But then it went and changed when I bought and installed @mtnbikej's 130mm-ish fork. :p

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Check out the setup of the bike on the Salsa site. That looks more like what I’d expect mine to look like if I got fit on a new frame by a shop. It’s baffling to me that a shop would set up a bike with spacer under the stem like yours. It makes me think the frame is too small for you. Please confirm that’s a 60mm long stem like they spec; it looks like a 70.

Now that you posted a good photo, I’ll say there is way too much spacer. I’d want an explanation why my bike is set up so differently than Salsa (and every brand, as far as under-stem spacers) shows.

What is your height, standover height (floor to taint with shoes on) and wingspan?

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's 40mm of spacers. I've read from more than one fork manufacturer that they recommend no more than 30mm of spacer. Although, I have seen people with even more than 40 mm. I would recommend removing the two smaller spacers and putting them on top of the stem.

To do so, you remove the center bolt from the stem, then loosen the two side bolts on the stem. You do not need to loosen the handlebar or remove anything from the handlebar. Remove the stem. Pull off the top two spacers. put the stem back on. Put the two spacers on the steer tube ABOVE the stem. Replace the center bolt (with the 1" top cap). Tighten that hand tight, making sure to keep the stem aligned with the front wheel. (Over tightening that bolt will bind your steering). Once the center bolt is snug, tighten the side pinch bolts on the stem. The side bolts are critical to your safety.
    EDIT: If you do the above, don’t do it with the bike in a bike stand. The front wheel and fork will fall out.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    130mm

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And... When you follow Herz's advice above, you're basically uncoupling the fork from the bike. It'll flop around if you lift the front of the bike. I'd try to keep it flat on the floor, so everything stays "connected". The whole process he outlined should only take a few minutes and all you will need are a couple of hex keys- probably 4 and 5 mm. Like he says, those side bolts are critical... I'm paranoid and check mine (along with the bar clamp) with the torque wrench every time the bike is in the stand. If you have a torque wrench, that takes the guesswork out of tightening them. You can find the torque value written on the side of the stem.

Eventually you'll want to cut the extra off of the steer tube, but not until you're certain where it needs to be.

25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yeah, that's what I typed. In my head, anyway. :whistling:

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  26. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Read all the posts. My local shop around the cycle requested I take it back in after two rides so they can check out all the components and make sure everything looks ok on the bike. Im gonna ask them to address this when I drop it off. Thanks for everything!!

27. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Brought it in. They said because I’m 6’1 and on the slender side the stem is probably best at this position and should work well for future use. The guy at the shop said he recommends it at this position for my height. Gonna be here for about 5 minutes unless someone has anything else I should relay to them..

28. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    ^ don’t everyone jump in at once LMAO

Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  29. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Just saw this. What size is the frame? I personally like my frames on the smaller side, so if you’re riding a large, you should be like me and prefer it that way. I recommend you do as Faustie and Mike say and lower the stack at least the two small spacers and try it. That right turn switchback will be immediately easier.

wait, that was Herzie’s advice

30. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @Demetrio GQ, looking forward to meeting up so that I can check out your beautiful new wheels. Being a former TJ owner myself, I am well familiar with them. Two thumbs way up!!!

Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.