About to Start - Marlin 6

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by deesalsa25, Jun 8, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    All water bottle cages will fit your TJ. They are standard size. Just get a good nylon/plastic one that the shop recommends. Shouldn't cost more than $15.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, mike and 2 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    The lights are flickering on the site from the loss of open door sustaining revenue. :coffee: But no big deal...:oops:

Danimal, ~JB~, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
  4. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Faust29, mtnbikej, mike and 1 other person like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The coup de grace is at the end, when the reviewer admits he prefers cycling cargo technology from the 1800s (a small seat bag) over these fancy insertion "innovations." :gotnothing::laugh:

I haven't spent any money on the fancy hidden stuff; don't plan on it because my seat and frame bags work dreamily and hold whatever tools and other stuff that I want. Just like the seat bag I bought in the 1970s. :rolleyes: But yea, the stuff people design, produce and sell is off the hook – lots of solutions in search of problems. :cautious:

6. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Got my bike. Waiting for my gear to arrive (from list in previous post - beyond excited).

Can someone please shoot me a link to a not too big frame bag or corner bag where I can fit a spare tube, tiny sealant, tubeless repair kit and mini pump? All of these are small so I don’t want a massive bag. Just one that isn’t intrusive.

Thanks guys and gals! Been a great help so far.

mike, UPSed, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    mike, Faust29, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  8. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @Cyclotourist I went with a very similar bag to that one. Thank you though!

Alright, the bike is set up. Just waiting for my helmet and gloves to arrive (two days) and I'm not even off until Thursday to go riding. Can't wait - feel like a kid getting a new toy haha.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Truthfully, you are a kid with a new toy. :geek::thumbsup: Sweet!!

Now it's time to let go of this thread and hit some on-topic ones. Starting with a photo of your bike in the New Bike Day thread, please :whistling:: https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/new-bike-day.6275/page-31

10. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @mike LOL. SOUNDS GOOD!

11. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Can someone please tell me what this is?

IMG-3432.jpg

IMG-3431.jpg

mike, Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    That's your MTB necklace. You need to wear it with a sparkly blue or pink chain every time you ride. It's the rules.

Or

Its a spacer that goes between your brake pads in case you take your wheel off the bike. If there is no rotor between the pads, and you accidentlaly press the brake lever, the pads will close and not reopen. You place the orange spacer in between the brake pads when the wheel is off the bike and you are not wearing it as jewelry.

mike, deesalsa25, Grego and 8 others like this.
  13. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    bleed block

mike likes this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Negative

mike and Grego like this.
  15. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    gfokiydert.jpg

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's a >POM< Recycler 18, double hole version. :whistling:

You're welcome! :sneaky:

(But it can also be used to keep your brake pads separated while the space is not occupied by the rotor - like when the wheel is off.)

Ocpop, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  17. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
  18. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Dumb questions #500: I bought the Pro Bike Tool Tubeless Bike Tire Repair Kit. I also bought a mini tube of sealant. In my little frame bag, I was able to fit a spare tube, a mini tool, the tubeless repair kit, and the sealant. They are STUFFED and SNUG in there. Question is, do I absolutely need to carry the sealant with me? Or is that more something I can keep at home for when I HAVE to use it. Please and thank you.

19. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    You don’t have to carry the sealant if you are packing a tube and tubeless repair kit. The 2 oz bottles are more for looooong backcountry treks or 24 hour endurance races in the desert.

Keep in mind, if a bunch of cactus thorns or goatheads pierce your tires, the sealant will plug the holes, and you can continue riding. However, if at some point you get a large puncture or sidewall tear that won’t seal and you have to patch the tire and install a tube, make sure you run your fingers along the inside of the tire to feel for and remove any thorns that remain in your tire from prior rides. Otherwise, you’ll just pierce the new tube, and it will go flat again. It’s usually easier to pull old thorns out from the outside of the tire rather then pull them in through the tire the rest of the way. I use a pocket knife to wedge thorns out from the outside.

Ocpop, UPSed, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    LOL!!!!! :thumbsup:

Be nice to your spare tube. It needs to save you from a jam one day. Don’t underestimate the vibration your bike and everything attached to it sustains. More than one rider has pulled out a damaged tube or other tire repair stuff that doesn’t work.

Tires are by far the most-fixed item in the field. A practice run at home with your trail tools would be illuminating.

16 or 20g CO2 cans IME are not the right tool for 29er and/or big tubeless tires. The 40g cans are actually lighter and have a better chance of resetting a tubeless bead. But they are rarely found in shops for some reason.

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @Demetrio GQ - I hate to say this for fear of a jinx, but I haven't had a flat tire in 4 years. That coincides with the time I got my first tubeless tire set up. Now mind you, I don't ride areas known to shred sidewalls, nor areas filled with thorns, but I am not subtle on my equipment. I stopped carrying a spare tube three years ago, because all I ever used them for was giving to someone else on the trail to help them. I ride within a 45 minute's walk to my car in most situations. Reasonable, if I have to do so.

I weigh 210 lbs and ride as much rocky terrain as I can find. I smash into said rocks at a reasonably fast rate of speed. I run about 22 psi in the rear tire and 20 psi in front on 2.3" wide Maxxis DHF/DHR II with a standard exo casing (meaning - not the toughest of sidewalls). All this to say - you don't need to carry sealant, and you will probably not use your tire repair kit unless you frequently ride "Shards-O-Glass Trail."

Here is a photo of my bike in the terrain that I ride at "less than safe" speeds:

Rattlesnake Trail and Bike.JPG

22. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    @Demetrio GQ - on the other hand, I don't ride nearly as hard as @herzalot and I've destroyed several tubeless tires, a couple embarassingly. :facepalm::oops:

It's a function of where you ride, really. Get up into the Santa Anas or parts of the Gabes and fire roads could be your doom. :eek:

Just ask @DangerDirtyD if you don't believe me. :whistling:

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The difference between smooth stationary rocks and sharp jagged rocks... I would much rather crash land on Herzy's rocks than some of the rocks on Motorway. Those suckers are tall, pointy, and razor sharp. Not that I really want to crash at all, but sometimes it's unavoidable. :oops:

My first 20 times down Motorway, I went through 5 tires... I'm a slow learner. :oops:

herzalot, Cyclotourist, mike and 4 others like this.
  24. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    ^ Read everyone's response. Thanks for the info!

Faust29, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I agree – with the caveat that it's equal part how you ride. :)

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Greeeaaattt... I ride slow and still get a record number of flats. :cautious:

:D :Roflmao

UPSed, mike, deesalsa25 and 2 others like this.
  27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    More data points: I have so many goatheads (in the 100s) embedded in my tires, there is zero way for me to use a tube. I don't even bother. I carry a can of Gup which I've never had to use in case I need to re-inflate on the trail. That and a cellphone, which I have had to use twice. Keep your sealant topped off, and refill regularly.

Faust29, herzalot, mike and 4 others like this.
  28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Well first, you are not a slow rider. And second, you break frames, too, so don't be hard on yourself about the tires. :D

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yup- sharp, floating shale or jagged lava definitely fits into the “Shards o Glass” trail depiction. The rocks I ride don’t move much, thus my good fortune with tires.

30. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    They would of you were holding someone’s wheel.

Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.