About to Start - Marlin 6

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by deesalsa25, Jun 8, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    29ers are more forgiving in almost every situation - or so I've heard. Stands to reason - bigger wheels roll over stuff easier. :thumbsup:

2. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    I disappeared because life slapped me in the balls but I am back. I have not bought a bike yet but I am looking to buy one ASAP. Marlin 6 is not an option anymore. I am now looking at these:

X caliber 8
    Ghost kato
    Cannondale trail 3

Any advice woud help. My budget is basically around 1k-1200

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Welcome back Mitso! I know, I know, we upsell, but try to eek out a few hundred more and consider this:
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Marin-Rif...G-cOXImCQcZ8dCBC6J8UP9bo-V2lA91BoCfRsQAvD_BwE

Fully upgradable once parts wear out, and it will give you so much room to grow your skills. If you do shop this bike, Jenson USA is in Corona and Riverside. Call them to ask if you can throw a leg over one (Riverside warehouse is adjacent to multiple trails) and once you are there, ask them if they would consider giving you 15% off the bike (maybe you also would buy a helmet and bike shorts and gloves, so a package deal would entice them). Also, you would save almost 2 percent just from the county sales tax savings. PM me if you do head out to Riverside on a weekday (I work out there), and we can meet at Jenson.

Oaken, Mikie, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Welcome back! I don't know if he's sold it yet, but friend of mine was selling a Kato cheap: https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/ghost-rei-kato-27-5-medium-500.8847/

Mikie, Faust29 and mountaingirl sara like this.
  6. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @Cyclotourist I will think about it!.
    @DangerDirtyD Lol. That is a damn solid bike!

I will continue doing some research. I will see if I can etch out a few more bucks. The full suspension does look good. Is full-suspension OK for a beginner?

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Either is okay. You'll get a better-equipped bike if you get a hardtail; the frames cost less.

Many riders own both, but truthfully, you can do anything with either kind of bike. Do you want to grind out big miles or slay technical downhill terrain? If you have any mind to do the latter, a FS might make you happier. Again, no absolutes. Some riders love hardtails on technical trails, and the right HT is riotously fun. Ride some bikes and see what speaks to you. Try to demo a few in the dirt.

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  8. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    I've read other posts, done some research, and have trusted everyone's word here. The bike budget has been raised. I will be going to a couple of stores on Wednesday (Incycle, REI, and Pasadena Cyclery) to look at the following:

Trek X Caliber 9 - $1700
    Cannondale Trail 3 - $1300
    Cannondale Trail 1 - $1850
    Trek X Caliber 8 - $1200

Obviously, I would like to save some money so if the XCal8 is just as good a beginner bike as the Can Trail 1 or the XCal9, please let me know! I will likely be making the purchase the same day since I am off so I'll make sure to buy the starter pack - gloves, helmet, water bottle, lights (?), fix kit (?), etc.

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    The XCal8 is inferior to the other three bikes because the fork has 30 mm stanchion tubes and a 9mm quick release axle while the other three bikes have forks with 32 mm stanchion tubes and 15 mm thru axles. This will make a significant difference in the frame stiffness, steering precision, and overall control and feel of the bike. Avoid the XCal8.

If your budget goes up to $1,850, consider the Marin Rift Zone 2 https://www.jensonusa.com/Marin-Rift-Zone-2-Bike-2020.

As a beginner, you’ll appreciate the extra comfort that comes with a dual-suspension bike.

Mikie, mike, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  10. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @DangerDirtyD You are really pushing for that full suspension! Lol.

11. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    ...and for good reason.

Tell you what, meet me here (22124 Utility Access, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656) on Saturday at 1:00 pm and I will have a hardtail and dual suspension bike you can take a lap on and judge for yourself. I'll bring glasses, an almost new helmet, and gloves for you to wear. What size shoe do you wear? I can bring size 12 or size 9 MTB shoes to use with my existing pedals, or I can mount platform pedals on the bikes for you to ride. Also, how tall are you and how much do you weigh. Let's go!

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @Demetrio GQ, you would be blowing it to not take advantage of that before dropping coin. Saintly of you, @DangerDirtyD.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    All beginning mt bikers should cut their teeth on a hardtail. It will help you understand the physics of traction, the role of your muscles in suspending your body and the importance of body position. A full sus let's you skip most of that.

mike, Old&InTheWay, UPSed and 6 others like this.
  15. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @mike @DangerDirtyD

I live in Pasadena and I work Saturday in am/afternoon. No chance I could make it but it is TRULY appreciated!

mike, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    ...or it lets you do all that at a faster pace downhill with some compromise on power transfer (though you get much better traction) while climbing.

mike and Old&InTheWay like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

You sound like an Ebiker

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hardtail. It will be better equipped at your price point, and it will allow you to get out there. As a new rider, you'll be amazed just being out there away from it all... As you get more into it, and see what and where others are riding, you'll decide what you like and might need in the future. Get a decent hardtail from the start, and that might be all you ever need...

At the price point you are currently talking, you are into a Santa Cruz Chameleon... Ready to go tubeless. Lifetime warranty on the frame. That's helped me more than once. :oops:

herzalot, deesalsa25, mike and 4 others like this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    That’s funny...and true. Can’t argue with that. But I’ve never ridden a motorcycle.

Faust29, mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  20. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @Faust29 I will take a look at that bike. It looks good!

herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
  22. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Local bike shop has a 29 timber jack diore for $1100. Thoughts?

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The Timberjack is a solid bike, and is really comparable to the Santa Cruz... @SnakeCharmer used to own one, and can say more about them. I'm partial to the Chameleon after a not-so-great experience with Salsa.

A hardtail can take you just about anywhere... I do own one of those extra squishy bikes, but if I could only have one, it would be a hardtail.

San Juan Trail a couple hours ago... Santa Cruz Chameleon. Lizard in stealth mode. :p
    IMG_0818.jpeg IMG_0817.jpeg

~JB~, CBone, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  24. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    I saw a SC Cujo at another local bike shop for about $1800. High-end price for me but it rode nice and felt good. Also, demoed the Timberjack, the same feeling.

Also, what is that little thing you have set up in the center of your handlebars? It says Auto Pause on it.

~JB~, mike, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Looking at the specs on the Deore level Timberjack... Others will point out that it's heavy, but I wouldn't let that turn you away. At that price point, it's a solid bike, and comes with enough bells and whistles to keep you going (dropper, 1x10 drive train, etc...). The Suntour fork is an off brand, but their new 34s get decent reviews- unlike their pretend forks of the past, which were more danger than useful.

The only thing on the bike that I wouldn't be able to stand are the 2.6 tires, but that's just me. That's a lot of rubber to move. You might like them... With that much volume, they really smooth out the ride.

mike likes this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That is a bike computer... A lot of us track our rides for distance, elevation, etc. I also sometimes use that one for navigation. Garmin is the most popular, but I switched to a Wahoo when my Garmin died.

Edit: You can do the same thing on your phone with a number of tracking apps. Strava is the most popular, but there are others. Strava is like Facebook for riders...

herzalot likes this.
  27. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez

Instagram Link
    I think Coco's Variety on Riverside Dr. posted the 2019 models on instagram for $900.

My bad, $1k.

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  28. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @Sasquatch9billion I'm looking for a 29er. I just messaged them to see if they have one!

Edit: And thank you!

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  29. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
  30. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee