About to Start - Marlin 6

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by deesalsa25, Jun 8, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Dropping $$$ on anything unknown is tough. FWIW, I buy all my bikes used. Bought my first new once since 2000 just last year. Have never been burnt yet.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  3. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I was in the same situation when I first bought my bike. I was looking at a specialized hard rock, which would be pretty close to what the marlin 6 is. I was convinced to spend a little extra and go for the rock hopper, which was around $900 cdn, because it would be more reliable and more suited for actual trail riding.

I'm really glad I went this way, is 6 years later and I'm still riding that bike.

If you're unsure about paying a little more because you don't know if you'll stick with it, then maybe someone in here could hook you up with a bike to try out for a short period?

Cyclotourist likes this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Check out Incycle in Pasadena. I've purchased several bikes from them over the years. All 30-40% off. They carry several brands.

www.incycle.com

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Ok.....I'll take one for the team. These days, $700-1000 is not that much for a bike. Typical starting price for a bike these days is in the $3000+.....but that will get you full susupension.

Consider carbon frames run $2200+, suspension forks run $700+, 12 spd cassettes run $350, carbon wheels sets run $1000-25000. You get the picture.

This is not to say you can't have fun on a more entry level bike....you can, and it will make you a better rider in the end. You will actually learn to ride it rather than relying on all the suspension to dumb the trail down for you.

tick, HBkites, kioti and 6 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    You're right, simple isn't always bad. Some people even intentionally buy bikes without any way to change out of a single gear... crazy, huh!

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Take somebody in the know with you and go check it out. At that price, even I am tempting to buy it and I don't even need a bike. It's an excellent value. If you do arrange to go see it, it doesn't hurt to offer a little less (if you decide to buy it) and you want to ask ahead of time if the seller is the owner and has proof of purchase. You don't want to buy a stolen bike.

8. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    Agreed. I've bought 3 to 4 bikes on CL. Usually, I try and speak with the sellers over the phone about the bike and mountain biking in general to gauge the seller. I feel much more comfortable if the seller is knowledgeable about bikes, local trails, etc. I also recommend to new cyclists that they take someone more knowledgeable with them.

9. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Alright guys. I am going with a new bike and its down to these:

Giant TALON 29 3
    Fuji Nevada 29 1.9
    Trek Marlin 7
    2018 CANNONDALE TRAIL 5

Someone drop some knowledge please...

10. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The Cannondale Trail 5 I see goes for $949 and it has great components compared to the others. So, if you are going to spend that much, I'd go with that bike.

11. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Giant - msrp $530 nice price, threaded bottom bracket, budget spec.. xct fork is probably pretty heavy, shimano drivetrain.. I have budget shimano drivetrain on my Rockhopper, and both derailleurs still working find after 6 years.. Tektro brakes - hydraulic disc is a plus. I switched out my tektros last year for shimano xt after the pistons gave up, way quieter (no turkey warble noises anymore) but should be fine to get you going for a while! 180 front rotor, 160 rear

Cannondale - do you mean trail 7? the price of that is more inline with your other picks, as @SnakeCharmer pointed out the 5 is just under a grand... msrp $ 700
    xct fork like the giant, shimano altus rear derailleur again, shimano brakes, but 160 front and rear (180 probably better if you will be bombing hills...) 2x9 drivetrain

Fuji - msrp $500 - never heard of the stock tires, but that's an easy switch, mechanical disk brakes (easier maintenance.. but higher quality buids use hyrdaulic = more reliable?) 75mm fork, very budget suntour (lower than the xct I think) shimano 3x7 drivetrain...

Marlin 7 - msrp $ 750 - rockshox xc30 coil (best of the 4 bikes), shimano altus derailleur (similar to giant and cannondale)- 2x9 drivetrain...Tektro hydraulic disc...

Tough choice... If I were you, I would immediately eliminate the Fuji.

I would still go with the Trek, the Rockshox fork is probably lighter, and more reliable than the suntour (my wifes dual sport has a cheap suntour and is way heavier than my slightly less cheaper suntour haha) I know it's a bit more moolah, but I think the extra bit you spend, just consider it as insurance against grief, it will most likely last a bit better and save you from running back to the shop for minor repairs as often. Just my .02

12. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    To be honest most of these aren't going to be ride able. Or I should say, you can ride them but you'll end up upgrading the fork after the second week. You can live with the drive train, non boost wheels, entry level disc hydro brakes, but a entry level coil fork is a no no. Buy used with good air fork. If your still looking at new, then you'll end up around $1100-$1500 for a decent hardtail. Go with something with modern geometry as well. If your worried about money put the $700 down and finance the rest. I can tell you, you'll end up spending way more with an entry level bike after the first month.

13. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    After reading @Derkderkall I think okay Marlin 7.

After reading @muni I think, okay wtf. Hahah.

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

@muni speaks the truth. Upgraditis is a severe disease that all cyclists eventually come down with.

Also, please keep in mind that we have all been where you are at....so we all speak from experience.

15. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    I hear ya. I was the same with my truck. Got a simple setup, and my Colorado is modded like a mofo. Okay let's say I stretch my budget - what do you guys recommend is good entry (new) MTB?

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If you're after a hardtail, you cant go wrong with a Giant XTC, except that's more than you want to spend.

I like Giant, I have an XTC. Check out the Fathom, either model. $1,070 - 1,480 MSRP but you can always get 10% off just by asking.

Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  17. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    You can find a lot of used or new 2016-2018 Specialized Stumpjumpers at bike shops. Since the new model came out. I've seen them down to $1300. Would be great for a first bike. Do not buy anything pre-2016. Also get a bike with a dropper post.

Since your new to MTBiking. Would not recommend ordering online. Go ride one and see how they fit.

If you want an aggressive hardtail, this one comes to mind.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/nukeproof-scout-275-comp-bike-2018/rp-prod159419

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fathom-29-2 $1070

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...x-caliber/x-caliber-7/p/21576/?colorCode=grey $939

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...x-caliber/x-caliber-8/p/21577/?colorCode=grey $1149

https://www.rei.com/product/133276/salsa-timberjack-nx1-29er-bike $999

The Salsa will get you a pretty nice 11 spd drivetrain, 120mm Fork, and hydro brakes....you also get 1 year returns with REI.
    The Giant is a nice all around package, albeit 2x9 drivetrain.
    Caliber 7 is nice, the 8 comes with better drivetrain and fork.

19. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Stretch your budget alot, I have a 2017 Stumpjumper full susp. Expert for 2800.00. Rocket Red. Like others have said save bit more get something a little better you wont be sorry.

Cyclotourist, mtnbikej, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  20. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Where do you live and what brands does your local shop sell?

DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  21. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Pasadena CA. Stores around here sell Giant, Trek, and Cannondale.

They also sell the high end brands but I dont have enough cash to spend for anything over 1k :(

22. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Try watching this.

23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    At the risk of repeating myself go to Incycle in Pasadena. I can pretty much guarantee you can find a very nice '16-'17 hardtail for under a grand. New. They sell several major brands.

24. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Incycle sells specialized too

DangerDirtyD, Cyclotourist and UPSed like this.
  25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yep. I've purchased 3 Specialized MTBs and a Specialized road bike from them in the past.

DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That Salsa is a solid choice. Very up-gradable as well. Or as Eddy says, "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades!"

27. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Definitely, I would go with the salsa as well. Just drive up the road to REI near Santa Anita

28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yep, mine has and is serving me well.

29. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    From what I've read here I should churn out a little more $ for a quality bike which is what I will be doing. This way I dont upgrade my bike 2 weeks in. I will keep researching but Im favoring the Trek
    X-Caliber 7

30. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    Hmm the X-Caliber 7 would still fall into the upgrade in 2 weeks. My previous post I mentioned you want a air fork. Coil fork is a no no, unless it's a high end coil fork. You need to bump up to a X-Caliber 9 for the true air fork. You'd be better off with a rigid fork then a entry level coil fork.