About bulldozing in CNF...

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by BonsaiNut, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Is Ladd Canyon Trail the same as Smashface? That one gets ridden...

And I'd probably give that one a try before Biscuits and Gravy... It doesn't look to have the same "certain death" factor.

Cyclotourist, Old&InTheWay and mike like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Actually nope, haven’t been down any of those....

Smashface
    Skinsuit
    Ladd Cyn
    B’n’G

Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and mike like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Depends...
    You can still get down to Ladd Springs. Its from MD, west of the top of Motorway. Smashface descends from Pleasants Pk to the Post Office

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Smashface is less wild than BnG but has more tricky nav. No reason to not venture down these trails. You can always dismount whatever. The steepest part of BnG down in the drainage had a rope to descend which was helpful.

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Sounds like fun!!

Faust29 and mike like this.
  6. Derek13

Derek13 Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower and Chameleon
    I'm very new to mountain biking, but not to trail blazing and getting out beyond where others like to go. As a kid and young adult I enjoyed taking the path less traveled, getting "lost" purpose, and spending days out away from others. I still enjoy this possibility when it presents itself. The idea of trails being "off menu" is a new idea to me now living in Orange County and riding mountain bikes responsibly. I enjoy the feeling of "wilderness" so close to our concrete jungles when riding up in the Santa Anas.
    Now this thread has me using Google Maps to look at the many possibilities of trails up in that area. I missed out on the good ol' days of heading into the hills with some friends and cutting new trails and working on keeping them secret and fun. I often wonder while riding around here how many fun less traveled trails are right around the corner that I don't know about? Guess one will never know until we get out there and search. Happy hunting...

7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    XTR 29er (aka Frankenstein)
    I just read the "smashface" linked article, and the two trails are one and the same (at least on the map). The black "cnty/regional" trail is listed as "Ladd" on the map, but the article calls it smashface :)

Cyclotourist, Old&InTheWay and mike like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Depends...

pic.jpg

I assumed Ladd was different as it use to go to the intersection of Silverado Cyn and Ladd Cyn Rd. Smashface comes out slightly further up

Old&InTheWay and mike like this.
  9. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    At least on the map, they have two Ladd trails listed. They have Ladd Springs, which descends from Main Divide and dead-ends at the spring, and then they have the one to the north that follows the powerlines from Pleasant's Peak down to the fork in Ladd Canyon (where it splits west fork/east fork). Granted that map was from 14 years ago... and there have been a number of changes since. Some trails have gotten larger, and some they have tried to remove.

mike and mtnbikej like this.
  10. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    This is why I miss @mike in the OC :)

11. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier
    I thought Smashface went from the firebreak at the top of Motorway down to the Post Office.
    Looks like it may meet up with a trail coming down from Ladd Cyn for the last part to the PO?

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Smashface starts at the flat spot just under Pleasants Peak... Never knew it was there until I was taking a break one day and a trail runner popped out right in front of me.

He said there was a lot of bushwhacking at the bottom, which Strava seems to confirm. It gets ridden, but the line gets faint at the bottom and it looks like a lot of people wander around to find the trail.

Old&InTheWay, mike and Rumpled like this.
  13. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Member when they bulldozed Cholla?

Faust29 and mike like this.
  14. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Well... as a trail-runner I may have to explore some of these trails and bring a camera along. Tomorrow I'm going to check out the back of White Canyon and see if there is access. And if so... I'll see if I can run lower Santiago TT on Friday. I can't go the whole length because I don't have that kind of endurance, but I should be at least able to run up it at least 3-4 miles.

15. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    LOL it wouldn't surprise me if they did... though it certainly wouldn't warrant it. You can work Cholla with two guys with shovels in 8 hours. @kioti and I did about 1/3 of Meadows in a single day - rebuilding all the blown-out banks, filling in sink-holes, cleaning up everything so it looked like enduro track :)

CNF is a bit more than 100x Aliso Creek/Wood Canyon Park... so the size prevents sophisticated trail management :) God knows if they could figure out how to do it they'd run a bulldozer down the Luge as well :( They run bulldozers down most of the trails in Whiting Ranch...

We need to buy them a couple of Bobcats so they don't need to call in some ginormous earth-mover every time there is a small cascade of rocks on the trail. A couple of years ago I was hiking with my wife in Whiting right by cattle pond, and there was a dude in a dozer mired in mud just ripping the place to shreds. I mean honestly - I couldn't even tell where the trail was anymore. You certainly couldn't move fire equipment through there...

d8bb3996c6087171a0358a65abe1ab96.jpg

16. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    More on Ladd Canyon:

Capture (2).JPG

From Santa Ana Mountains Trail Guide By Kenneth S. Croker First Edition 1967

LADD CANYON SPRING TRAIL.
    Directly south out of the small saddle in the main divide leads the old road which is the trail. The trail starts wide and clear and slowly degenerates with large washouts, slides, and brush. Large trees in the canyon bottom define the beginning of the spring area. A little further along the old road is completely washed out for about 200 feet. This marks the effective end of the trail. Retrace your steps until a convenient spot can be found to climb down the bank to the stream bottom. Picnic, rest, or return the same way.
    The hillside are dense brush, but the canyon bottom is lush with large trees of several varieties, vines, flowers and poison oak. On my scouting hike I saw coyote, deer ground squirrels, and a rattlesnake. The old road, some 20 years old, lead to a limestone claim. The canyon was once called Mustard Spring by H.C. Ladd in the 1870's hence the new name, Ladd Canyon. An old, overgrown, and abandoned trail once led all the way from what is now paved road in lower Ladd Canyon to the ridge. The rest of the canyon, not covered by the old road is almost impassable and not recommended for general hiking.

I went to Ladd Canyon Spring Trail, a few years ago the check it out. A little hard to find because the turn off from Main Divide is not marked. At the trailhead it looked like nobody had been there for years. The trail was filled with waist deep vegetation. I waded through it for about 1/4 of a mile. Fearing an unpleasant encounter with a rattlesnake, I cut the visit short. Nice area, needs some work.

Cyclotourist, Rumpled, Andy and 4 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Steve, you are hardcore!

Looking at the map, I see the Ladd Ridge Trail coming off of Motorway (Silverado Road on the Map) and connecting with Smashface near the bottom. That is still visible on Google Earth. It doesn't look passable, but it's there...

Rumpled and mike like this.
  18. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Dang! Look at all the different trails on this map - and how small CNF is! All of those trails around Irvine Lake and north of Blackstar - they are all still there, but now no public access!

Flying B Ranch & Black Star RV & Picnic Area (Mtn Bike Race Course)

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I designed a brutal race course out there about 12 years ago. Everything out there is soooo steep.

20. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    This is the route of the trail marked "LADD" on the 2004 maps... and the one that the Warrior's story is calling Smashface (dotted red line). Ladd Ridge Trail (connecting at the top of the Motorway) the forest service has filled in with moon craters for most of the upper 50%.

ladd.jpg

21. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Apparently Ladd Spring is a worthwhile destination. It was once popular with Boy Scouts who maintained the trail. It can be seen in this excellent video.

The Santa Ana Mountains True Stories of a Great Range

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    According to Strava, one of our forum regulars rode Smashface this year... @CalEpic . What condition is it in?

23. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    It's good, go ride it! :sneaky:

24. CalEpic

CalEpic Member

Name:
    Craig
    Re Smashface, the trail condition depends on your definition of good. If you like OC parks trails, this will be way more raw. Motos have cut some trenches on the upper section but it's all ridable. It is cleared of deadfall but you'll come away with cuts and scrapes if you don't wear long sleeves and leg pads. The downhill from the tower is in good shape from a historical perspective, but for those that have not ridden it, expect to be sitting on your back tire and shale surfing. It's one of the steepest, loosest trails in OC. Once you've reached the creek bottom, finding the HAB up to Crosses is a little tricky - I would recommend riding it with someone that has done it before. If you get lost, you won't be the first ones to spend the night out there.

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    If you come along, absolutely! When do you wanna go?

Old&InTheWay likes this.
  26. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Yes, but does it have a rope to help you descend? :)

Faust29 and Old&InTheWay like this.
  27. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier
    What map is that?
    First time I've seen Hagador Peak listed on a map. I've seen Hagador Canyon, but not the peak.
    When people have talked about Hagador Peak I was always confused, because my hiking guides have that as Little Pleasant's Peak.
    Wonder where the name came from?

DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  28. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Depends...
    Looks like Frankos map

https://peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=52133 ?

29. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Well, well, well... look what I found at the top of White Canyon. Not only trail access, but a friggin' parking lot! Really hard to find if you don't know exactly where you're going. You will be driving up some extremely narrow one-lane streets between buildings... and then the road opens up and here you are!

santiago1.jpg

The trail looks very well-traveled, with a fresh mtn bike track up the middle :) Definitely worth more exploring!

santiago2.jpg

Here's a pic I took from the top of the Motorway looking across at Silverado Truck Trail. You can actually even see Harding Truck Trail in the back. The missing link is the section in the middle - and you would need to carve in traverse trails along the flanks of the hills because there are three steep hills between points A and B that you would otherwise have to HAB... and then have huge erosion and trail maintenance issues on.

santiago3.jpg

The trail needed feels to me about 3/4 - 1 mile. This would be a hugely fun downhill loop starting at the Cafe and then up Maple Springs and down Silverado TT.

30. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Looking at Google Earth, looks like tehre are a few singletracks that split off from silverado truck trail and either connect back later or head down into the canyon, one notably into Wildcat Canyon and Halfway Canyon. Wonder if these are locals only trails that end at private property. Hmmn.

Faust29, mike, Rumpled and 1 other person like this.