A video for the machinists on the board

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricekrispyota, Feb 18, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    This video shows 1) amazing machine work and 2) some of the best commentary I've heard in a long time. It is long, but if you are in to creativity and machine work, worth the watch. Caution: Canadian curse words aplenty!!

2. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Awesome machine shop stuff: a couple notes: 4130 (chromo) yes man, was someone complaining about an axle? No lubricant: he said it work hardened on him. Thus why we use lubricant, he was lucky it was not Inconel 718 talk about work hardening. The broach, it's like that, but I have never seen a screwdriver tip used as a broach. Good to remember Ding. I normally go to Western Broach for my dumb ID relief's. Taping: back the tap off more than he does, breaks the chips. Running the die: some imperfect threads, turn the die over and pray. Helicoil blind hole: You need to make that Helicoil tap a bottoming tap by removing one lead at a time (4 times). Then keep it if you need a bottoming tap again since now it is worthless except bottoming. Bottoming helical drill (same thing). The reason why Helicoils are crap: The lead in is blunt, it just sucks, everyone loves a countersink that slowly leads into the thread. He called it a Pin, it is a shoulder screw. Using Moly-sulfide on aluminium pivots, not a good plan. He said he had some garlock bushings, then you do not need moly. Moly is hard, rock hard and it will grind the Al Aly on every motion.
    But an excellent adventure in fixing a design flaw created at manufacture.
    PS: Beer in BC is sold warm, if you are camping like me you need to buy ice with every 6 pack eh.

3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    He is certainly colorful. But he’s been repairing tractors or something if a fine pitch bolt is considered exotic in his part of the world.

And designing that part in anything but aluminum would be silly. The steel repair part in 4130 is fine, but red loctite on the coarse insert means the next shock service will scrap the bike.

MIL-TFD-41C.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Machinists.........ahhhh, I thought it said masochist. :bang:

I'll see myself out.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Well duh!

You certainly wouldn't want to use anything but an aluminum fine-pitch bolt made of MIL-TFD-41C on your hobnostal defosticator! Does it work with resin pads?

6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    So that's how Machinists talk?! :laugh::Roflmao

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I'm not gonna watch a machinist video during after hours beer drinking time. Maybe tomorrow morning...

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I’ll know now that dropping the F bomb during conversations is the norm when I am out riding with those who are Machinists.

Cyclotourist likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?