A suggestion for a sub topic

Discussion in 'Forum Related' started by Torrent77, May 31, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I would love to see a sub topic on local bike shop reviews and the techs that they feel are outstanding.

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good idea! :thumbsup:

yvettessherpa and Mikie like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Ohhh @Mikie ???? Paging Mikie...

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'VE been contemplating the suggestion. I was hoping to see more input on this, as my concern was the forum would turn into a shop basher or frustration venting outlet.

STR, whether you realize it or not really damaged the relationship between LBS's with it virus issues then lack of communication or efforts to solve it. I have been attempting to re-establish that forum/LBS relationship for 2 years now so there are several shops watching the site like a hawk. The last thing we would want is a trash talking LBS forum.
    As long as we always frame our comment as positive or as constructive, I would be happy to set it up.

mike, DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm sure there would be negatives... And they usually tend to be the loudest voices in the room. Sometimes, justifiably so. But, it was the positive reviews of The Path on that other site that got me to go check it out. :thumbsup:

pachaven, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Internet forums are a good way to provide shops with valuable feedback that they won't get directly. If they have a pretentious vibe, if they make false promises, if the work is substandard or their employees unfriendly, they can read about it and find out. It can actually help their management evaluate their employees - or themselves. I would think with the level-headed, "mature" voices on this forum in particular, a shop would take our feedback perhaps with a higher degree of concern than they would a smack-talk forum of complainers.

However, as @Faust29 said, complaints are louder than compliments, so we would want to keep the constructive in constructive criticism.

Right now, I have positive things to say about The Path - Live Oak and BikeCo, and not so happy stuff to say about my own local shop. I've already communicated the negative stuff to my local shop and we will see if they make adjustments accordingly.

We already have a thread seeking to boycott one of our other local shops too.

I say bring it on @Mikie, it's one of the important functions of a mountain bike forum. I think we all want to have great local bike shops, so why not spread the word about the great ones, and try to give feedback to the not-so-great ones so they can choose to improve.

kioti, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Sounds great!
    But, there are always 2 sides to a story. The arguments always become a he said this-then he said that thing. There are legal ramifications to posting "bad" reviews online.
    Posts about not matching internet prices or warranty problems or perceived injustices done by burly wrenches only feed the trolls.
    If it was a general review-type thread it may work. I would say that every review must have an opportunity for the shop manager or owner to reply with their comments also.

I have worked at one shop where one negative review on Yelp was the focus of many customers who came in wondering why. When one customer did not get what they "expected" from a free service check, their reply was, "Yelp was right!" as they took their taco'ed wheel and went elsewhere.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay.
    As easy as it goes up... it can come down.
    The goal is to not hurt Local Bike Shops but to "Help" them.
    I have opened the Forum. It's located in Home Base just under Bike Reviews...

Runs with Scissors, mike and herzalot like this.