A Few Bad Apples...::

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by mtnbikej, Jan 17, 2020.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    This is what is going to happen to the OC Parks...
    Wilderness riding is much less obvious for the lawbreakers. But inconsiderate mountain bikers and motorized bikes on non motorized trails in high congested areas will break the back of what we have taken years to build.
    Very sad.

Danmtchl, tick, Fueledbyex8 and 11 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Danmtchl, tick, Fueledbyex8 and 14 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That was a good read... And it mentioned an area much closer to home. It was a few years ago, but the ban still stands.

From "Los Altos online":

BYRNE PRESERVE BIKE BAN FINAL
    A proposed Byrne Preserve bicycle ban that generated considerable debate at the Jan. 27 council meeting failed to garner any public response Thursday, and councilmembers adopted the ordinance as part of the night’s consent calendar.

The proposal emerged after local horseback riding enthusiasts and hikers expressed safety concerns related to cyclists speeding through the preserve. Westwind Community Barn members were especially worried about cyclists frightening horses and potentially throwing young and inexperienced riders.

Councilmembers have said cycling speed records posted to mobile app Strava alarmed them and influenced their decision to support the ordinance.

5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    The whole thing is so frustrating to me. As an ultra runner, equestrian, AND a mountain biker. All three groups are at each others throats, none care to see the other perspective, and none want to share.

Obviously a gross exaggeration. I have met those in all three groups who don't mind each other. But the loudest ones are the trouble makers, and ALL three groups have them!

UPSed, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  6. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    @Mikie I'm not sure what this has to do with OC Parks that warrants specifically calling it out? For that matter, I'm also not sure what it has to do with motorized vehicles. This article is about users (in this case mountain bikers) acting rudely to other users (specifically horseback riders who also happen to be landowners), not breaking the law by riding ebikes, so maybe you can follow your own advice and keep the ebike talk out of this particular debate?
    Inter-group conflict exists anywhere (everywhere?) where multi-use trails are close to population centers (hello front side San Gabes, Santa Barbara, San Diego, just to name some other locales that are not OC Parks that are faced with the same issues of inter-group conflict).

7. fos'l

fos'l Member

Name:
    Bob
    Agree; keep your head in the sand and blame eMTB's for all the problems. However, bringing them up in meetings gives the opponents some nice ammunition.

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
  9. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    That came off harsher than I intended @Mikie but I'm going to leave it.

10. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Yep, Sad! The writing is on the wall. The sport has become to big and out of hand, and will only grow because of the letter E, but not just the electric persuasion? Seems to me adding now the new element of surprising another user in up direction is more scary. We go to fast to be compatible and have become bigger as a group. Coming down or up now on another trail user regardless of which user it is is scary! We have all done it at one time or another, now in a saturated area where you live, it is rider after rider, after rider that you have to step aside for if you are not on a bike. What do you think the outcome is going to be? Let’s make it mandatory for all bikers to do a background check along with taking a trail etiquette class? Going fast so you can show your friends, also Strava , to get that rush is what this sport is all about, not for everybody, but for the majority. If that is your game and you have the resources I suggest finding the places (far and few between) that is to hard for the masses so you can get your rush, otherwise slow your ass way down and do the right thing, meaning not scarring the Sh!t out of people! There is no money for enforcement in my opinion so a ban will be the easy way, and it is sad that there is nothing the well intended mountain biker can do about it! Sad! Please, if you have the magic pill let us know?

11. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    If I owned the land, was on a horse, and some F@cker buzzed me and yelled at me in the process. I would shift my horse gear into gallop and run that F@cker down. Then issue a ban.

12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    No worries.
    My point is we can lose access. We can lose access by being rude, not using trail etiquette, and breaking the law. We think we won't lose access but we can. If we keep abusing our privilege we will lose the privilege.
    That's my point. Not blaming eBikes in this exact scenario. Sorry for the lacking clarity.

13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  14. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    _
    Indeed, what a dipshit.

I don’t understand the difficulty in having just an ounce of common sense. When I see someone on a horse I stop and wait for them to pass or get their attention if I am behind them to figure out who is doing what.

In fact, the first time I ever met @horsebikerider was at Oaks as I was coming down the last part of Goat and I found out who she was because I stopped to exchange pleasantries with the rider that I was sharing the trails with. Really not that hard at all.

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Oaken, Danmtchl, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  16. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    "the most technical obstacle of them all...human interaction." too true

17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    You so need to post more. :Roflmao

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    This is exactly why I want to hit the Lotto, have 10,000 acres, and not allow anyone else near it. I'd even post it: "Trespassers will be violated."

Grego, Danmtchl, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  19. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    How about, " Trespassers will be prostituted." ?

Grego, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
  21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike: