A Different Kind of Crash...

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by Mikie, Oct 17, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    But then you wouldn’t actually be mountain biking but riding a moped....and he really would feel 17 again. Minus the wind blowing thru his hair of course. :rolleyes:

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Good to hear @Mikie that they at least got you back on your feet for the time being. :thumbsup:

I’d follow up with Dr. @Voodoo Tom for your continued treatments.

trmn8er, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    :Roflmao:laugh::Roflmao

That’s some pretty good news @Mikie !
    A friend of mine has arthritis in her knees and gets regular fascia release massage at a local chiropractor. She says it’s a little painful but the relief happens in the next day or two! She’s a runner and is still able to run long distance! She used to get the cortisol shots, but gave up on them, IDK why.
    See ya on the trail brother!;)

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good to read that it's on the mend. Big question is why was knee replacement not recommended?

Mikie, Faust29, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Maybe it wasn't kneeded at this time?

SnakeCharmer, Mikie, Walleye and 4 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It seemed like @Mikie implied it was due to his bike riding, which just sounded weird and made me wonder.

mtbMike, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  7. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mikie likes this.
  8. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Here it is.
    C7E793C8-03E4-4750-B832-8A1CF686917D.png

OTHRider, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    That’s a great question. Technology still can not match OEM.
    He said they cut the knee out then literally glue in bone to sockets upper an lower. Although cycling is a low impact sport, mountain biking is not as. After describing dropping 3 and 4 foot hucks and dropping the San Gabes he was hesitant to support it as a viable option.
    So he just suggested that all effort should be focused on making original equipment manufactured as usable as long as possible and look at knee replacement as a last option and changing up the trail menu to more flowy conditions. That confused me as when I looked online at aftermarket products, it didn’t seem that was the case.

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Hard choice:

*get the new knew and forever end the 3'-4' hucks, but continue riding in more of an XC manor

OR

*continue 3'-4' hucks until your knee finally falls off

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks for clarifying! I was wondering what the conversation was and how mountain biking was specifically related to it. GREAT that you had a Dr. that was able to include that in the conversation.

So it's like you have a Proflex and are going to have to figure out a way to make that Girvin fork keep working!

12. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Hmm....there’s many people on MTBR that claim they MTB after knee replacements. We met a guy in St George one year who was there to SPECIFICALLY mountain bike after getting a knee replacement. According to him, his ortho surgeon told him to “go buy the best mountain bike you can afford and ride the wheels off”. He got bored riding near his home in Northern Utah (Logan) so he came to St George. He crashed on day one and broke a couple ribs :facepalm: We met him in the hot tub that night. On the plus side, his knee was fine though :D He was mostly bummed that he wasn't going to be able to golf.

13. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Absolutely true. The cuts to the bones provide some angles (facets) for increased surface contact with the glue and a very secure implant fit. Don't worry about the cuts, there is really no KNEE or BONE pain with your short-course pain management. It is all gone. You can do full weight-bearing the same day (as long as you remain active and healthy). You may get some soreness a few weeks later in the basic knee area but it doesn't even demand a Motrin. The reactivation of the hams, quads, calves, increasing flexion & extension, sucking it up when the micro-nerves start tingling at night is way more bothersome - but easily manageable.

My surgeon is a cyclist of all disciplines. He related all FUTURE activities back to "How long do you want your knee to last". Can I MTB with 4' drops; parachute; run a marathon - yes to all! But, you will drastically reduce your knee longevity.

The mental part of "not being able to ______" has been easier for me. I've been cutting out activities that hurt for over 20 years. I'm simply blown away that I can now walk over a mile with no pain or limp.

I sure hope the draining of your knee helps and that you can get a couple more decades on two wheels before your knees finally scream back at you.

Walleye, Mikie, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  14. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Yeah longevity is the issue.. How old was this guy BTW? Like your doc said Mikie, surgery last option. You've been talking about your bone on bone situation for at least a year or more, and been handling it pretty well, hucking etc. I've heard docs tell their pts. there will come a time when you will "know" its time for a replacement. Any many people say they are glad they had it done. Many satisfied customers and hooligans on here!

trmn8er, Walleye, OTHRider and 4 others like this.
  15. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    The guy was in his mid 60’s and a solid 50-70 lbs overweight. He definitely won’t be going off 4’ drops. I know after I broke my femur at the knee and in the process tore both meniscus (which are toast) , ACL and LCL, I know my knee doesn’t like repeated chatter. So running, skiing or snowboarding on anything but powder are not comfortable but all bike riding, including drops and chunk, doesn’t seem to bother my knee at all.
    I’m sure everyone is different. I know a guy who is an avid snowboarder that blew out his ACL 30+ years ago and never had it repaired. He doesn’t even wear a brace.

16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks all. This really good stuff. Very helpful especially the life experiences. Makes it all very encouraging.

herzalot and OTHRider like this.
  17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    How’s it going Mikie? Are you able to pedal the long road ahoe Nugget?

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well Cathy and I have migrated into the trailer park lifestyle!:gotnothing:
    I guess some would call it long term glamping. I have ordered a banjo on Amazon. Had lots of........... challenges. Oven not working, heater not working. The heater quit working around 12:00 midnight last night, took me most all day today to read up and understand how the heater works. Traced down the problem and solved it around 2:00pm today. @Voodoo Tom and I had discussed riding in the afternoon. I totally brain farted on that...
    Cathy got home from church and some shopping and we went for a putt. My first ride in like 6 or 7 weeks.
    Knee felt good. We did a local Kings Canyon loop. I don’t have Internet yet so no facts. But rode over 10 miles and I
    think around 1,100 climb.

So all in all, it went pretty good!

trmn8er, CBone, Cyclotourist and 10 others like this.
  19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Mikie

I don't feel any tramau to my knees w the ripmo..
    It's like riding a marshymellow...
    Seriously.. plush...
    Very comfortable... Too comfortable...
    Easy on the knees

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  20. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    You forget , Mikie has a "fluffy" too, lol.

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Plush sitting and spinning is death to my knees. The single speed, contrary to popular belief, is therapeutic. Everything else on the body may hurt afterwards, but the knees are thankful. :D

@Mikie - Glad you got out for a spin. I'll call that progress in the right direction. :thumbsup:

22. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Huffy.. the best kid bike ever!

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?