A Different Kind of Crash...

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by Mikie, Oct 17, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Friday was a very very tuff afternoon.

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

And now it’s Monday...:what’s the status chief?

3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Inquiring minds want to know

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    :eek:

That's up there with the raccoon that came down the chimney and busted out of the wood burning stove. The bullet holes are still in my mom's family room wall.

5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Whelp? I’m sitting in Kaiser in Lancaster waiting my turn for X-rays. I know I don’t need X-rays but if you want or need an MRI than that’s the first step.
    Right now I’m just thinking hyperextended.

6. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    Oh damn, and you were just talking at work about how your knee is killing you. Hopefully you are OK and you get better, soon. Maybe it is a sign that you need to take some type of break.

7. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Sorry for what you are going through amigo. I kid (mercilessly at times) but seriously hope you are not too bunged up. Good vibes your way.

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Kaiser looks great on the TV commercials and every two weeks when the premium is deducted from your paycheck, but like bicycles, you get what you pay for (this isn’t an innuendo on socialized medicine; that’s just a coincidence). I’m holding onto an MRI prescription for emergencies. Lemme know if you are able to get a scan today, or if you would like me to mail it to you, no problem.

Edit: The prescription is for the right knee...50/50 chance it apples to you.

mountaingirl sara, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  9. Steve/Steverino

Steve/Steverino Member

Name:
    redeemed, r you?
    Current Bike:
    E-bikes
    I send you my best regarding prognosis.

Also, hope you don't have any infection.

Worst case scenario, full knee replacement you've been putting off. What great times to live in.

mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Hi @Mikie! Just checking in to see how your Dr appt went. I presume you are waiting for the X-ray report and/or are scheduling an MRI for a useful diagnosis.

I just want to say that if you're feeling bummed whatsoever, we love you and thank you for our iMTBt playground. Conversely, if you are happy and optimistic, I wanna hold your hand and skip, skip, skip to my lou McNugget!

OTHRider, Walleye, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    He probably needs a sponge bath either way.

Walleye, herzalot, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well, I am optimistic.
    I have always claimed to be a fast healer. I’m convinced nothing is fractured, really thinking that I have jumped into panic action without a warm up and really strained muscles. I was able to drive to work and since I had way too much to carry in, I ran out of hands to use crutches. I also parked in handicap without a placard as I am a rebel and a Hooligan. So that cut about a quarter mile of walking out.
    I can feel the recovery by the minute so I think hopefully by Sunday I should be pretty mobile Lord willing and the creek don’t rise!

OTHRider, Stkx66, Faust29 and 14 others like this.
  13. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

14. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    CD1A6512-9694-4A42-A228-38B0F57BD104.gif

mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Taking a turn for the worse...
    Although the knee is getting better related to the initial immediate injury. It appears at this point with various swelling that my meniscus has decided to entertain with excruciating pain! Convinced it is torn on the inside and with what was mentioned by the Doc who just explored my recent x-rays, degenerative bone disease, I am now envisioning a short term cortisone shot and then looking into either surgery to snip torn meniscus... or a knee replacement. o_O
    Hopefully I'm just being dramatic and the reducing swelling removes the pain, but I'm not feeling any hope for this.

My sincere suggestion is to hang on to youth and not get old(er) ...Fauwk! :(

trmn8er, Oaken, SS Barby and 14 others like this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

herzalot, mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Sucks.

Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  18. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Bummer, hopefully it just needs more time. I've seen you make some miracle comebacks though so I'm still holding hope. I'm betting you haven't exactly been able to take it easy and rest... and have I told you I really hate riding by myself...:(

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Well Sh!t @Mikie that sucks. :(

mountaingirl sara, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  20. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Sorry to hear. My experience with torn knee ligaments is the tear itself does not inhibit range of motion, but swelling does. Hopefully time, ice/heat and aspirin will relieve the swelling. Not sure about meniscus tears though, perhaps torn ligament could interfere with movement. Hopefully it's not that, but MRI should show it if you do get one of those. Use crutches if you can, anything to keep the swelling down will help.

21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :gotnothing:Awesome.
    So I have been diagnosed with a fairly severe case of Chondrocalcinosis in both Knees. The right more than my currently damaged left. Apparently it’s like a Gout, but in the knees, elbows, and or shoulders. It has the amazing ability to damage cartilage. No real cure or treatment other than pain management.
    https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-chondrocalcinosis-2552216

I have been trying to get in to see Orthopedics but because of our current environment, not until November 4th.
    So I’m going to fake being in high positive spirits here and drive on like a dog sled driver! Yeah baby! :thumbsup: MUSH!

22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    In times like these, I just bink another dreer.

23. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Fake it till you make it brother! We love you and know this is just a setback, you'll be giddyuping in record speed!
    PS, I’ve learned that gout and similar ailments are diet related..maybe time for The Whole 30 my friend :whistling:

Walleye, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 4 others like this.
  24. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9

You already had a name for it...

Seriously, hope all gets better for you Mikie asap.

Mikie, UPSed, SnakeCharmer and 3 others like this.
  25. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Prayers Mikie. Hang in

Mikie likes this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Finally saw an Ortho yesterday!
    As with many doctors, when I asked him what his name was he said, “Uh, you can call me Rick.” A doc with a very long name for me to pronounced, I’m thankful he made it easy.
    So Dr. Rick, not to be confused with Ranger Rick, was one badazz dude.

When he asked if I was taking any medication, I told him my previous doctor... Dr. @Voodoo Tom had prescribed Motrin 800 and large consumptions of beer. He didn’t bat an eye.

Climbing on the exam table he quickly determined there was a fluid build up. He left to grab some doctor stuff and return with syringes with big azz needles. I hate needles but I manned up. He said I would experience a little cold on my knee (which I only kinda did) and waited for the puncture...
    Next thing I realize he is showing me 20cc+ of extracted fluid. I never thought 20cc’s was a lot until then. Next a cortisone shot, or something like it. Even before the Cortisone, the pain was gone. I never felt either needle.

We talked about MRI’s, said it was up to me, suggested to give it 30 days as he suspected it would feel much better quickly that the fluid was putting pressure on the tear, thus the excruciating pain!

He was more concerned with my right knee then the injured one. Stated I had significant arthritis and no meniscus left and the inside was bone on bone. Both knees have a strong case of Chondrocalcinosis.
    We had along talk about knee replacement and after sharing the type of mountain biking Ido, he did not recommend replacements. That made me sad. It was my great hope to become 17 again.

So that’s why I have followed @OTHRider knee replacement so closely. At least Ifeelway better physically.

trmn8er, Walleye, CBone and 13 others like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That really sounds like a win. :thumbsup:

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Mikie - that sounds pretty positive. Perhaps draining the knee and pumping in a little cortisone will be sufficient to keep you cranking for a while until they invent the magical injectable cartilage replacement therapy that I am dreaming will happen. :thumbsup:

There's also some other technology specific to mt. biking that helps knees, but I'm guessing you would rather quit riding than make use of it. :sneaky: :stop: Besides, that technology is currently difficult to lift over fences.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, Luis and 5 others like this.
  29. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @Mikie, glad to hear that you have some relief. :thumbsup::cool:

30. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    So Mr Wats... meh I’ll just call you @Mikie as your primary care phakesytion I feel now is the proper time to discontinue the Motrin and resume normal hooliganistic activities slowly over the next 7-10 days. Also I must stress the importance of continuing the beer consumption as it is imperative to keep the joint properly lubricated as well as maintaining proper brain function. I’ll schedule your next follow up for week from Saturday at my field office location in Sandberg Ca. It’s easy to find as it’s located just off the historic ridge route road under a giant oak tree...:cool:

trmn8er, OTHRider, Walleye and 13 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?