8 Hours of Temecula

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Jan 29, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Oh, where to begin? It's been a long couple of months... family tragedy, weather, holidays, bad food. The bike gods can be vicious. After hitting my high point in September and October, and signing up for the next Vision Quest, the bike gods decided to bring me down a few pegs, and keep me off the bike for much of November and December. And then, they put pizza, chicken wings and every fried food known to man in front of me for three weeks. Has anyone ever read Kafka's, In the Penal Colony? It felt about the same...

So... In a slow march to get some fitness back, I signed up for the new 8 Hours of Temecula at Vail Lake. I've ridden out there enough to know that it can be a fun time, but really hasn't been the last few races. The friendly, positive vibe just wasn't there, and I actually met some real jackasses, like "cheater girl", and "I'm at the back of the pack on lap 1, but I'm going to yell at everyone in the conga line to get out of my way on the rocky section girl." Spoiler alert! The new format brought out some amazing riders, and some amazing families. The positive vibe was back and better than ever. This was a really cool event. :thumbsup:

With the new 8 hour format, I really didn't know what to expect, but I had my first hint when I pulled in. All of the teams stage their pits near to the baton handoff area at the start/finish line. Solos can pit anywhere, so I have been going to the far end of the secondary parking lot, and I have been alone at several races... Not today! Both parking areas were packed, and the smell of barbecue and grilled burgers was in the air at 8:00 in the morning! That was cool. I didn't get a spot along the fence in the parking area, but had to join a second row. Not a great distance away, maybe 50 feet off the course, and 200 yards from the finish line. It ended up being perfect... Pull in, grab a bottle from the cooler, and jump right back in.

My simplified pit setup... Tailwind and Water all ready to go.
    IMG_2589.jpg

With the limited riding lately, my personal goal was to put up a 50 mile day and just ride... The courses out there are fun, and there are a lot of trails for every flavor of riding. It was actually pretty cool to see kids on bikes playing on the dirt jumps sprinkled throughout the bottom sections of the course. And the toddlers on their balance bikes doing the "parking lot DH"... You can tell the moms who ride. They weren't the ones chasing their runaway kids down the hill in panic. :stop: Or the endless stream of guys out there to see the enduro course features. They were easy to spot as they pushed their bikes up the fire roads carrying their full face helmets. :thumbsup:

When the race started, I took my usual spot at the back of the pack, and just pedaled. I could hear the 4-wheeler leading the group out for the parade lap, but I was so far back I never saw it! There were several conga lines on lap 1, but not as bad as some races. The single tracks were all in great shape, the trails weren't too wet, and the other riders were awesome today. This course was a little over 8 miles and just north of 1,000 feet, with maybe 85% single/double track. I've said it before... The single tracks out there are just plain fun. They have fast, twisty, rocky, exposed... It's all there.

This group was large, and it seemed to have more genuine pro level hammerheads, as well as more guys just out for a fun day. Everyone was awesome, though... And I made quite a few new friends. I met several team riders who were brand new to the sport, and came out to camp and party for the weekend with their families. And my informal mental poll tells me that Santa Cruz is doing very well with the newb crowd. :thumbsup:

The first three laps flew by... Partly because I knew all of the downhills from previous races. And for the first time, Marine Hill had paint lines on some of the more exposed rocks. Cool, but I know I like the rocky line on the left... right over the paint line. :thumbsup: With the new format, and the number of people out there, I was in traffic every now and then for the first three laps, and I found myself chasing rabbits. Each of the first three was well under an hour (57, 52, 54), and the heart rate was a little out of control. So I backed off a bit, and cruised, turning in laps just north of an hour, with a 5 minute break at the end of each lap. The climbing legs hung in there for three complete Bridges climbs, before I started using the shoelace express more and more.

My only mechanical of the day was just before the end of lap 4. Going into a hard left just before pit row my chain sounded like it was going to come off the rear cog... I cruised into the pit, and felt the chain flopping all over the place. I had to channel my inner @mtnbikej and make a chain adjustment fast. I usually take 30 minutes in the garage to get it just right, so I was happy to knock that down to about 5 minutes. :p

The day flew by and before I knew it, I had enough laps for the "Sexy 60" patch. The only negative of the day was that I finished lap 7 with only 45 minutes to go. My fastest lap time of the day was in the 52s, and I didn't have those legs anymore. Next time... Cut the breaks down and leave enough time for another lap.

Even though I was nowhere near the podium this time, I'm going to consider it a victory. It was an awesome event, a great day on the bike on fun trails, and it brings me one step closer to being ready for VQ.

63 miles and 7500 feet...

Edit: Forgot to mention that I was passed by Tinker 3 times during the day on his way to his 11 lap victory! I moved over and he thanked me each time... But I did manage to stay ahead of him on one of the twisty downhills. I'll consider that a win! Also, the single speed winner turned an amazing 10 laps. I saw him a couple of times, and he simply flew. Amazing to see...

2. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Nice work @Faust29 Good to hear that the posi-vibe is back!

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Well done @Faust29 and great write-up! :thumbsup: :cool:

And here I thought your "Sexy 60" patch was similar to the one I'll be rockin' in a few years. :(

4. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    Nice work @Faust29 Thats a good bit of saddle time for the day.

Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and PATKOUG like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    GREAT to read! 13 more miles than you were planning, nothing wrong than that!

What do you think organizers did different to improve the vibe?

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I think people were just getting tired of the 12 hour... An 8 and 4 hour race is easier to manage. No after dark issues, and the 4 hour option really opens it up to beginners. And I saw a lot of them yesterday... And kids. Lots of kids, which means family atmosphere.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

He is only 90 lbs soaking wet....you could just push him around next time.

Glad to hear that the clock ran out before your legs did. Nice job.

8. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    That makes a lot of sense. Love the description of the scene there. The SoCal high school league has one or two races there each season, and it is a VERY family friendly and fun atmosphere. Kids everywhere like you described.

Tom the Bomb, pperrelle and Faust29 like this.
  9. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Nice write up. I was there and had the same feeling. Changing the format can bring new blood in and it may have done just that. I did the 4hr. Contemplated on doing the 8 which a few friends were doing. I just don't have the stamina for that. 40 to 50 miles is my limit as of now. I had a goal of 4 laps. I reached it, happy about that. Had some cramping issues on lap 4. Probably due to over doing it the week prior. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Forgot to mention... There were a lot more shops and vendors out there this time. I've seen Ellsworth mentioned on the forum a few times recently, and they were out there in force. They had a very large presence right at the transition area, with a lot of bikes and riders. The Box people were also there, along with several shops that I hadn't seen before.

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    The photographers were definitely shooting from new angles this time around... :thumbsup:

70079926-_97A1924.jpg 70079927-_97A2116.jpg

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I see you violated Rule 13. :geek:

herzalot, Faust29 and Andy like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
  14. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    herzalot likes this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I have angered the bike gods.

The only rule I remember is 5.

16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    The bike gods can be convinced to sit down and shut up...quote Rule #0: The individual trumps the peloton.:geek:

mtnbikej likes this.
  17. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Almost didn't recognize you in that shirt ...

One of my Trail Angel friends rode the event and she had an unfortunate "incident" very close to the finish line. A person passed her on the right and they both went down. She wound up with 8 staples in her shin not sure if the other rider had any injury. Ann still had a very positive attitude on the event and was just disappointed she was taken out. BTW she is not a corner cutter or one to get in the way ... she is the one you want on your ride!

18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Sorry to hear about that... In all the races out there, I have seen very little of that behavior. Too bad your friend had to be on the receiving end of it. :thumbsdown:

mtnbikej likes this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Picture Slot Machine dredged up a fun day...

Old&InTheWay likes this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    I just want to know why you are flipping us all off...

Faust29 likes this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    That's my braking finger... The one next to it doesn't work so well. :p:D

Cyclotourist likes this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    That was a beautiful bike. And if you visit the Path, its carcass is still hanging on display. Say hello to her... :cry:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?