71 reasons why I'm not a B* fan...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BonsaiNut, Sep 30, 2018.

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    8:30 AM. 70 cars parked at the trailhead. No, there wasn't a special event going on - just 70 cars disgorging their occupants onto the trail. Fortunately I was coming DOWN from the radar ball at this point. If there is ever an argument for the need for more hiking/biking trails in the north CNF, we just need to bring a ranger to the trailhead on a weekend. (FWIW, there were only 5 cars parked at the tree farm).

And the last person to make it an even 71? I had the pleasure of driving behind some idiot who refused to go faster than 45 the entire 8 miles between Santiago and Cook's Corner. She was obviously on some lame power trip to see how many people she could get stacked up behind her on the road. I hate driving extra distances to the trails in the first place... and then when you have to slog behind inconsiderate a-holes...

Had a hard time getting into my zone this morning. Too many peeps - which is usually the reason why I bike CNF; to avoid the masses.

OTHRider, Stkx66, H2oChick and 13 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I feel your pain.

We were out about 5 hours yesterday, and saw one soul on the trails for the first 4... A fellow early riser visiting from Vegas- bombing across Main Divide in the dark. Coming down Black Star at the end was a jolt on the senses. Hundreds of people. E-bikes, walkers, dogs, aid stations, oh my. o_O

3. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I have a better appreciation for the limited parking at Maple Springs and Harding trails. I think the limited parking is the only thing keeping the hordes away.

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Might there be more traffic on B* because of the recent fires/closures nearby?

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    No.....the people that hike B* are not outdoors people. They are city dwellers who think they are getting outside and doing a big hike.....when in all actualities, all they are doing is a flat walk on a dirt road then turning around before it starts to get difficult.

6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I see. Well, at least they are getting off their asses.

7. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I will say this... three dudes out biking this AM were crushing it. Two guys that parked at the tree farm left some time after I did and passed me like I was standing still. Same for a nice guy solo biking who passed me right at Hidden Valley. I passed four people myself... so I consider myself better than even :)

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I read this as not a B+ fan, and I was thinking, they're not for everyone and over-hyped, but still pretty fun to ride around on.

But I guess that's another thread.

9. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    @BonsaiNut I rode Santiago Oaks today, started at 930 am, park was pretty much empty, they must have all been at B* ;)

10. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Move to Acton? I feel bad for you guys. Rode Chileo today and saw no bikes! And maybe 20 hikers, and they were all carrying pads to fall on when they fall off of there rock? Never seen anything like it.

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    The lower level trails get crowded... Up high- I would move to Acton if I saw 20 people! I've never seen a hiker on the loop to Motorway. 20 would be an episode of Lost. :p

12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Usually when I ride SART, I'll see nobody. Sometimes, a few people in a 20-40 mile stretch lasting for hours. And when I do, normally at the beginning or at the Oaks Restaurant.

Benefits of being farther east I suppose. Even a crowded day at Sycamore in Riverside is still empty feeling.

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Couple of times I've seen either hikers or friendly zombies on the stupid steep part up to Hagador. Not more than a couple though.

I don't think I was hallucinating...

14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    You default to the Black Star version... :thumbsup: I default to the Maple Springs version, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen a hiker between Four Corners and Motorway. That would be :gag: on foot. Maybe :gag::gag::gag:.

15. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Looks like those days will be absent for awhile, sadly. It sux, Greg. Time for evasive maneuvering?

I could pen a sequel thread... 71 reasons why I'm not a fan of riding near major metro areas and on weekends... But that would pretty much be stating the obvious. :unsure:

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I really like my early early morning rides

Faust29, LLPoolJ, pperrelle and 4 others like this.
  17. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I really like my midweek rides

Faust29, mike, LLPoolJ and 2 others like this.
  18. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Mondays are the best.. too bad I'm at work today..

19. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    After it rains, there will be 1000's of Hikers on Blackstar, hiking to the Falls that have not fallen for several years. :D

Grassblade23, Faust29, mike and 5 others like this.
  20. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I'll give you 71 reasons......the "trail" is 71 inches too wide!!

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

No....it's because it climbs more than 71'......and we know how much you love to climb.

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    And this is why Motorway is usually empty... And the luge has 500 riders lining up like Disneyland. :p:D:thumbsup:

23. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I don't hate to climb and even enjoy it sometimes but I prefer to climb well designed singletrack and when possible, avoid fire roads if at all possible. Ask Bob, we climbed plenty in Downieville....2600' one day and that was on a shuttle ride.

Faust29, Cyclotourist and LLPoolJ like this.
  24. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    I don’t mind all the hikers on the climb it’s when your descending that it’s a pain. I guess that’s one of the many reasons to head over to motorway. I did not see one person from the ball to motorway on Saturday morning.

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    That's the difference in the SAnta Anas... The vast majority of the single tracks are not climbable. And if they aren't climbable, they are a lot more fun going down.

Heck... Even the little single tracks off of Black Star are a lot steeper than the Luge. Way past my climbing powers...

26. Stkx66

Stkx66 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I had a 9:00 am start. I saw 3 riders between the dopplar and motorway. Just starting my decent down motorway, I encountered a local Silverado lady area resident 59 years old that had jogged up it.:eek: - Plus about 5 more hikers on their way down the motorway.

27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Have you tried the shorter loop to Motorway yet?

28. Stkx66

Stkx66 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I like the Blackstar/ Motorway loop. I like it because it's hard and when I'm done with the ride I feel accomplished and happy.
    No. In fact I was kicking my own but for not thinking of it recently after you had done it mid week. I fully intend to and soon!

29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Proselytizin'!!:thumbsup:

30. OTHRider

OTHRider Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '14 Giant TCX SLR2 Cross Bike
    Chino Hills was a ghost town by 10am....except for the cool coyote.