60 Minutes on Motorized Doping in Cycling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtnbikej, Jan 31, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/01/3...ling-with-implications-of-big-names-cheating/
    60 Minutes on motorized doping in cycling

Video here:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-investigates-hidden-motors-and-pro-cycling/

OK, to be fair it was about 14 minutes of coverage that aired over the weekend on the CBS program 60 Minutes. In the segment titled “Enhancing the Bike” news magazine correspondent Bill Whitaker leads off with a nicely inflammatory statement that “the sport of cycling is notorious for its culture of cheating…” From there 60 Minutes heads to Hungary to talk with Istvan Varjas who claims to be the pioneer of hiding motors inside bikes for almost two decades. Varjas has popped up in the cycling news streams a good bit over the last couple years, especially after the young Belgian crosser was caught last year. He puts Whitaker on a bike with a hidden motor to try and tells CBS News that yes, pro riders are competing on these bikes.

60 Minutes also sat down with the former testing director for French anti-doping authorities who tells that they have been told that a dozen riders raced the 2015 Tour with hidden motors. Then CBS News pulls in Tyler Hamilton to test a motor-doped bike, links Varjas’ motors to infamous Dr. Michele Ferrari within the last 3 years, and infers a link to Team Sky possibly racing the Tour de France time trials with motorized wheels. 60 Minutes doesn’t present any hard proof of current pro peloton motor doping, but they certain make a case that many people will see as rather damning.

We can’t embed the 60 Minutes segments here, but you can go to the CBS News page for the story’s video. Just beware that the video will autoplay and won’t work with ad blockers turned on. There is also another 6 minute clip with a further look at how the newest motor doping tech may be going into wheels with embedded induction electromagnets.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Saw it and was pissed off. Why are there so many unethical assholes in the world who have everything, but still need to cheat? F-ing scumbags. F--k road racing and the douchebags who do it.

Do I even need to say :mad:?

H2oChick, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  3. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Cavendish, Hushovd, Voight , Horner... Nails

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  4. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Hmmm, I want one for my mountain bike! :ninja:

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    In all likelihood, every bike will come with electric assist options in the very near future. Use it or don't, just like shifting gears.

However, do not race in a pedal race with a motor. If you do, you should be banned from all things requiring trust and ethics for the rest of your life.

Mikie and hill^billy like this.
  6. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I don't think (and hope) that motor doping wasn't all that prevalent. Adds a couple of pounds to very weight conscious racers. And only working for 20 minutes of 5 hour day? Though that would be enough to win the day. That Belgian Jr girl that got caught in CX world's was an eye opener, though. Her family appears to be quite the mess.

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I believe it was an old time NASCAR driver (Petty, Yarborough, Jr. Johnson....) who said, "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying hard enough."

What about the man, who identifies as a woman, and still has a penis, entering and winning women's road races?

And you wonder why I don't like people.:thumbsdown:

herzalot, tortoise, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Try switching to a women's-specific saddle.

LLPoolJ likes this.
  9. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Every sport has cheaters in fact the world has cheaters in every aspect of life. Ain't gonna change it, accept it and move on. Don't cheat yourself of your time!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  10. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I think I heard that Vince Lombardi had that quote, as many others have.

I know of three cyclocross racers that identify as female and are males. Mostly they race as women, but sometimes they are forced to race as men. One is very good and has created a fair amount of controversy - though racing as a man, mostly. The other two are relatively average and some people question the practice and others don't care or don't know or don't give an opinion to me.

I'm kinda mixed about it, but if you want to change to female; make it complete before you compete against women.

rossage, LLPoolJ and mtnbikej like this.
  11. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Interesting, fits in the seat tube...wonder if it would fit in my Kona...then I could keep up with the big dogs here...
    moto-doping.jpg

LLPoolJ and doublewide like this.
  12. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Speaking of cheating ...
    upload_2017-2-1_12-41-41.png

Oaken, Rumpled and LLPoolJ like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Accept it? Really?

No...

Expect it, yes. Hate it, yes. Accept it? Never.

DangerDirtyD and rossage like this.
  14. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    BB30 compatible??

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I gotta say I could give a flying wet fart about racing road bikes. I like riding mine, and I like going fast on it, but really, who cares?

16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  17. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    unicorn.jpg

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?