60 For 60....Big Ride Saturday

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Oct 7, 2017.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    So today I joined in on a 60 mile ride for a friend turning 60.

The route: Oaks/Weir Canyon/Chino Hills SP/Deer Canyon Preserve/Weir Canyon/Oaks

Now we all know that 60 mile rides are my cup of tea. However, I was worried about the pace. Even though he is turning 60, he is fast...too fast. I can ride with he and his wife on short rides, but even then they both still destroy me.

So @horsebikerider and I rode over to meet up with the ride(she was only planning to do the first part). Well we showed up, and we were part of a group of 15. Now many of the other riders I knew....and they were all fast. My concern for the pace would be true.

We rolled out at 7:30(late start for me) and the temps were still kinda pleasant. Into the backside entrance at the Oaks....I was happy to clean the steep rocky climb at the end of Wilderness. We continued on over to Goat and started the climb up. The pace was faster than I am used to. The group got a bit spread out. We made the turn onto BumbleBee and headed over to Coachwhip. Just as we began up Coachwhip, on cue the sun crested over the ridge and the temps began to climb. Still the pace was on the quick side. Held on as long as I could. Good thing Coachwhip goes by in short order.

Regroup at the top of Deer...some pics then headed down Deer. I was still in cruise mode....or 60 mile pace, not 20 mile pace. Right at the top of Deer and out to Weir Canyon. Again we got a bit spread out. Before we knew it we had reached the turn off to head out of Weir Canyon. Fast fun run down the bridal trail and boardwalk, then across Weir Canyon down the Wood Chips segment before turning onto Santa Ana Canyon Rd. I was 1 of 3 singlespeeds...they had harder gearing than me, so I got spit out the back along SACR and SART.....basically the flat roadie parts. We stopped in Green River Golf Course for water. Then off to Chino Hills Park.

Going up Lower Aliso and once again, I got popped out the back. Yeah, the pace was still on the quicker side. One more stop at the Rolling M Ranch for another water refill. It was getting pretty toasty about this time. By the time we rolled away we were down to 11 riders. Up Lower Aliso, up Sidewinder to Bane Ridge. I started out 2nd, only to move to the lead, then bumped back to 3rd on the climbs. The DH was fast and flowy.

We took a new trail back down Rolling M Ranch for more water...yep, it was now hot by this time. However, we weren't done. Up Southridge to Telegraph Spur to 4 Corners. I was getting cooked by now. The climb up was slow....and I was in the back. Just kept going and we made 4 Corners. Short break....and we would lose 2 more riders. Up/down Raptor and Faultline. Just off the top of Faultline, my contact began fluttering then popped out. Luckily it stuck to my cheek, so I was able to retrieve it and reinsert it. Faultline is getting loose....still fast, but loose. One last stop for water at the ranch before we headed off.

Now most people would just take Lower Aliso back out to SART.....not this ride. Up Scully Ridge and across. It is now just plain hot....got readings of around 108* on the Garmin. Now it wasn't that hot, but it felt like it. Walked a few ups....but I knew that ahead of time. Scully Ridge drops you out at the RR tracks at the golf course. Another stop for water. Everyone was going through water left and right. The ride back down SART into the headwind had me suffering. Again shot out the back, I was on my own to Featherly Park. Regroup, and then rolled to Deer Canyon Preserve. The first climb in in steep and we were getting cooked. By now I was able to somewhat hold my own since we were back on the dirt and climbing. Good thing Deer Canyon Preserve is shaded....it helped.

Some new dirt for me dropped us out at the entrance to Hidden Canyon. Here we would lose 2 more riders. Paved roadie climb to get back to Weir Canyon. At the top of the road climb, we would lose 2 more riders. We were now down to 4 riders. The ride back through Weir Canyon was slow.....for me. We made it back up Barham Ridge. We would lose our last rider here. 3 of us continued on. Now, most sane people would just head down Barham Ridge.....NOOOOOOO, not us. We head up Barham Ridge to the top, climb to Robbers Roost and descend down Yucca. It felt fast today. This drops us at the bottom of 4 Corners....now up BumbleBee and up Goat....yeah, this isn't a FLoop ride. The heat had done its' damage. I was out of energy. Walked a bit of Goat, and that never happens. At the top, we chose Chutes Trail as we were all tired and it was safer.

Down in Irvine Park for another water stop. Birthday boy was worried about not getting 60 miles so wanted to a climb up to the Water Tower below Puma. I was gonna wait at the bottom while the other 2 headed up. I decided to climb up until they came back down. I got about 1/2 way up. Turned around and headed back down. Now all we had left was the ride back to birthday boy's house. Once we got on Santiago Creek Trail, I lost all remaining energy. I was barely turning the pedals over....and got dropped. I was overheating and dumping water over my head regularly. By the time I got to the dam hill, the 3rd rider had already taken off. He was cramping and couldn't stop.

We made it out the back of the park, but I was barely moving. I was done. About 2 miles from the finish, I let birthday boy know I was just gonna continue on home, so he didn't need to wait for me. It was an unbelievably slow 2 mile flat spin home.

It was a fun day out on the bike. Got to ride with some fast guys. At the end of the day the heat was my undoing.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1219900320

62.5 mile / 7005'

Evoracer, mike, Tom the Bomb and 23 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    A lot of people on this forum are going to giggle a little while reading about your suffering today... :whistling:

Good thing we have an easy ride planned for next Saturday! :p

Evoracer, mike, Tom the Bomb and 13 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Good lord @mtnbikej you are a sick man, and evidently, there are some riders even sicker than you. I could barely manage 3000' today, in coastal temps (mid 80s).

Nice work regardless of your "shot out the back" stories. :thumbsup:

mike, Tom the Bomb, MattB and 8 others like this.
  4. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    That is impressive, especially in those temps. Was some of that part of Chino hills burnt?
    Again, that is some impressive riding..nice!

mike, Faust29, Tom the Bomb and 5 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Nothing on the other side of the 91 Fwy was burned.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, gonna get me ass kicked 2 weekends in a row. :eek:

mike, Faust29, Tom the Bomb and 4 others like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Any day on a bike is a good one!

8. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier
    3 somewhat amazing things for me in this report, in no particular order

J finds new diet so close to home

J getting beat like that

Pretty sure I've met the BDay boy a few times, didn't realize he had that many trips around the sun.

mike, Tom the Bomb, MattB and 5 others like this.
  9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Great ride report!

mike, Tom the Bomb and SnakeCharmer like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    WOW @mtnbikej , amazing ride! I would need an e-bike to make that one, lol.

I am exhausted just from reading your RR. :eek:

mike and Tom the Bomb like this.
  11. jimbowho

jimbowho Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor 29r
    Saturday I checked the mail (post office) SS klunker. 3-mi. Thanks for making me feel like such a looser. Man way to suffer dude, big thumbs up.

12. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    You da man J! Tough dude!

mike and mtnbikej like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Ho, man...brutal! Salute to you all!

mtnbikej likes this.
  14. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    I was supposed to be on this ride as well but ended up going out of town.
    Based on your report, I wouldn't have finished the ride. Good Job!

GS is 60, but not human.
    Now that he has more time riding he might improve....Unimaginable!

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yup....he just kept chuggin’ along.