6 & 12 Hours of Temecula- 2016

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Faust29, Nov 17, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 01-30-16
  1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Time flies... :)

RACE #1
    Saturday
    JANUARY 30th, 2016
    9:00AM - 9:00PM 12 Hour
    9:00am - 3:00pm 6 Hour
    VAIL LAKE RESORT
    TEMECULA, CA

MnMDan, mtnbikej, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    El Niño might make it interesting-er.

Mikie, GregMiester and Faust29 like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    My son raced there during a drizzly day... wow what a difference. Soooo much nicer with a little moisture in the air and on the ground! He was much faster and enjoyed it a lot more (which meant I did too!).

17270097472_ee4a9449bd_c.jpg

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, tortoise and 4 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    All races are rain or shine! That would make for a really brutal day... But I'd still do it. :thumbsup:

I'd have to channel my inner Buffalonian... Lousy weather was a way of life...

5. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    I raced the endurance event for Kenda Cup this year when it was raining virtually all day with heavy traffic on the trails...most of it was ok, but some areas were sloppy and sticky. The worst was after the Expert/Pro classes took off. Any "blue groove" developed during the day's racing had been destroyed by those turkeys seeking traction outside of the groove in ill-fated attempts to pass on their low-profile slick tires.

I also raced out there a few years ago when the race was called early because bad weather was moving in after dark...it had rained the night before and drilled most of the day...trails were perfect...but when the sky opened up with the downpour around 6pm, the right call had been made.

A few other times it had rained during or the night before an event out there...and it was awesome...the course holds rain extremely well, unless its a downpour or its saturated from several days of rain.

Worst case...take a break if it gets heavy...otherwise, man up and go get some!

6. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I am going to attend and attempt the 12 hour. Thanks for all the reports from previous races so I can plan and "gear up" accordingly. Not sure of my fitness level and my ability to finish the 12, but "you never know unless you go." I am hoping that all of the absurd climbing that any ride in Laguna requires will benefit me at the event. If anyone wants to carpool from Laguna for the 12, let me know. Wife will not be attending, so I will have a minivan with lots of space heading out that morning... and coming home that night. Thinking of demoing a specialized Epic and maybe using one of those for the event. Thoughts on any real disadvantage that an all mountain bike like my Bronson would present?

Runs with Scissors, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

The issue with the Bronson on a 12hr race....is, it's a lot of bike for a course that that truely does not require full suspension. I did all 3 races this year on a SS, and never once thought "this would be so much better on my Tallboy".

Depending on the build...if it a light build, then you should be all right. If it is a 30 lbs build....you won't be happy.

You'll want to ride what you are used to...jumping on a unfamiliar bike and riding it for 12hrs, sounds like a recipes for disaster. Because it really isn't that technical out there, lighter/faster rolling tires are your friend. Something like a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on the back does well out there. Leave the big meaty tires at home.

The course will vary through the year. Some have a big, long grind it out fireroad climb, some were lots of short punchy little climbs. I do both kind of riding....Santiago Oaks(short punchy steep climbs) and a lot of riding out in the Santa Ana's(big long grind it out climbs). I found I did much better on the big climbs. YMMV

They all tend to be in the 8.5-9.5 mile / 1000' ascent per lap.

Get in some longer rides.....4-7 hrs.....nothing beats time in the saddle. After 8 hrs, it all hurts, it becomes more mental than physical.

Use these long rides to dial in your nutrition. What works for a 2 hr ride in Aliso, will not work at hour 10 on the bike.

Use the 1st race as a dip your feet in the water and see how it feels. Don't get caught up in the race.

Set a goal and only race yourself.

Most of all, have an open attitude. If you like to suffer....12hr Solo is a great experience. Most riders out there are very supportive, especially to the Solo's....an it gets even better once the 6hr race ends....course is less clogged up.

After the last race I said I was done with 12hr Solo....but now that the dirt is washed away, the cramps have dissipated and I got warm....I'm starting to get that tingle again.

Most of all.....have fun. Don't take it too seriously.....after all, it IS just another Saturday group ride...with 500 other people.

8. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Thanks much J for your very thoughtful response. That is exactly how I am treating it... a fun way to find my limit with 500 of my closest friends. I was going to do the 6... but as I occasionally ride 5, the 6 really would not be my limit. I get what you are saying about the mental aspect of things after hour 8. I hadn't really thought about the tires. I will definitely put some consideration into that. My Bronson is just under 25 pounds and I know it really well, so your advice regarding an unfamiliar bike is well taken.

9. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    6 hrs race is not the same as a 6 hrs ride!

My current plans is to compete in the two men 6hrs class. In 2015 I raced in the 4 men open class, and it was a long day. I'm hopping to do the same amount of riding and finish up before it get dark (and cold).

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yep... I still felt fine physically at the 9 hour mark when I was on lap 8 in the dark, but I couldn't keep focus. I I rode off the trail on the straight section leading up to Marine Hill- just spaced out for a few seconds and couldn't get it back. I knew that was the time to pull the plug... Unlike June, though, I felt well enough to drive home and have a relaxing dinner with the wife. I call that progress. Now, I need to work more on the mental...And I'm wondering if my pacing was too slow this time.

Mikie and StrandLeper like this.
  11. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Totally with you HB. I don't think I would know how to "race pace" for six hours... On dirt!!! (Read, no relaxing in the pack). So I am opting for "survive pace" for 12. :) who knows, however, it may turn out to be "survive pace" for 6. :(

Searching for info on how to survive a 12 hour race is what brought me to this forum. Posting that I am doing this race to (former) total strangers on this forum is what will force me to do it, and to give it my best shot while trying.

So Mikie, thanks for that. Or not.

Strand ... In.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  12. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    12 hours alone with my thoughts. Either I am going to figure out the missing link to my perpetual motion schematic, finish the great American novel that I have been working on (dictating to Siri), or go bonkers.

That's great that you were gtg physically after that much time in the saddle! Frankly, it's amazing.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Well, the first 6 hrs, there are soooo many people out there, it's easy to shoot the Sh!t with the other riders. It doesn't really make the time go by any quicker, but gives you something to do.

The second 6 hrs, it is more you and your thoughts, especially when it gets dark.

Just don't start singing to yourself....you will get the same line of a song stuck in your head for 12hrs.....it's maddening. :eek:

Otherwise it's a fun time. :thumbsup:

14. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Damn, Bronson build under 25lbs!
    Put on some low profile tires, run it stiff and let er rip!

Mikie, StrandLeper and Faust29 like this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Barring some El Niño catastrophe, or funds-related catastrophe, I'll be out there for the 12-hour. I seriously doubt I'll last 12 hours, but gotta go for the gusto!! :cool::eek:

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It's a fun time, and you're welcome to share popup space.

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    But he is not allowed to sign up til morning of the race. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

18. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    ... for some reason I'm thinking about this. But I'd have no support crew, as the wife would be supporting me by staying at home with the children :p

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    It is totally doable unsupported. It is all on your organization.

Pre make all your bottles. Label them if they are different. Have a bag/pack with your cold weather gear/change of clothes. Same with your lights.

The number 1 thing that a support team has is encouragement....keeping you going.

It also makes your pit stops quicker. I would let them know if there was something that I wanted to have ready at the next pit stop.

There are enough of us out there, there is always room under an EZ Up.

20. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    I am doing it solo as well Coug. Sounds like from J, it is all about preparation and organization.

Faust29 likes this.
  21. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    One would have to assume that if you stashed your gear; food, clothes, lights and such, that there is enough people around that none of your stuff would be stolen? I mean, it's just going to be lying there for hours and hours on end, heh.

I dunno though, I should probably just cash in this amount of wife points for the enduro race the following day :p Still wavering.

Faust29 likes this.
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Everybody out there is doing the same thing...theft is unlikely.

Faust29 likes this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The first time around, we arrived early enough that we snagged some prime real estate near the start/finish- right next to mtnbikej. This area is popular because the teams have to enter and exit the course in a specific area- It's also party central! :thumbsup: The second time around, we were a little later than planned, and had to go to the other end (far left as you look at the course). This actually worked out better, as that end was far less crowded, and we were able to park right next to the EZ-Up. My wife was working most of the day, and used the car as a wind block. If I had been alone, I would have been able to use the car as storage the entire day... with no issues. The only drawback I can think of is that the pit area is actually about 1/4 mile into the course, so your break is immediately after transitioning to a new lap. That wasn't a big deal for me.

With that said, I've already mentioned to the wife that I would like to do it again. She's tentatively agreed to mix my bottles. Any of you guys are welcome to share EZ-Up space, and my wife would probably offer to help with anything you need. I'll probably set up a table this time, but I travel pretty light now that I'm on the Tailwind. Plenty of space...

24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I think they have the option of camping the night before. I don't know what their nightly is, but could be a good investment to have a chill pre-race ramp up.

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

You see lots of groups, especially the team riders, camping out for the weekend... The race really does have a nice party atmosphere that is also very family friendly and laid back. My idea of camping lately is 4-5 stars and room service- or I'd be there for more than just the race. :thumbsup:

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    mtnbikej and Runs with Scissors like this.
  27. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm planning on being there; wife and I were going to make a weekend out of Palm Springs but the kid has social stuff going on. So instead, we're looking to make a weekend out of Temecula. I'd have an EZ-up also, we can group them for a better pit area if you like.

A pre-ride would be most gnarly bitchin' if I can get out there prior to.

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    j

You have 12 hrs to figure out the course. :laugh:

29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    That what it looked like.....not sure it is all that easy.

Runs with Scissors likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?