5 Deer. Let's Restore

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by AKAKTM, Oct 17, 2020.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley, Enduro
    John Fisher, a local SCV guy has been working solo on 5 Deer recently and doing an awesome job! Two more of us from SCV went up to join John today and we've mad significant progress. For those that don't know, 5 Deer is one of the most scenic and nicest MTB trails in the SCV area. For the past several years, it's been terribly (understatement) overgrown, but the trail bed is in great condition. Linking PCT with some moto trails and 5 Deer makes a fantastic loop. Here are some images from today; Trail Crew, before and after.

If you are so inclined, head up and jump in to the work!

TrailCrew5D - 1.jpeg TrailCrew5D - 2.jpeg Before5D - 1.jpeg Before5D - 2.jpeg Before5D - 3.jpeg During5D - 1.jpeg After5D - 1.jpeg After5D - 2.jpeg After5D - 3.jpeg

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    OUTSTANDING!!! :cool::cool::cool:

3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Hey @AKAKTM ! Looks great! I know John and have helped him out with some of that 5 Deer trial work. I’m sure you know already that John is meticulous and has a gift for restoring trials!
    I’m almost always willing to work that trail, except for when the section has a lot of PO, I am highly allergic. Last time J texted me he let me know that the section was full of it, so I had to pass.
    Keep us posted would ya?!
    Also, @SS Barby has done some work up there too and knows his way around that area.

Sasquatch9billion, ~JB~, Luis and 7 others like this.
  4. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Niner Sir 9 SS
    I can vouch that ALL the poison oak is gone unless some has grown back since the late spring. The majority of the work with ne clearing overgrown brush. Also there is a section of trail that is in really rough shape and a decision needs to be made how we run the trail

5. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Niner Sir 9 SS
    Damn, wish I wouldve seen this earlier. I wouldve come help.

mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  6. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    PO= no go.

mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  7. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Outstanding!! That is a great trail to ride even though I’ve never seen it entirely clear of overgrowth. I remember the PO tunnel at one point :gag:

mountaingirl sara, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  8. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    For PO, I highly recommend picking up some Bayer (recently renamed BioAdvanced) brush killer and apply when it starts to leaf out next spring. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayer-Ad...0SX_fEf2Xq0_1OCgYS-bMoD9R3ApmapBoCydIQAvD_BwE

I use this on some local trails and it does a great job of beating back PO. I'll do one main spray once most of the PO bushes are leafing out and growing, then go back a couple times and get everything that was missed. There are some spots that used to be really bad and the PO has never come back. In other places, I have to go back every year or two.

9. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Really?!!! Awesome!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?