4.0 directly under steam fracking plant

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by da big hills, Jan 4, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    The City of Los Angeles performs fracking of andesitic magma hot spots at the Salton Sea. Today we triggered a 4.0 and a bunch of mid three's under the water injection field. This field is small scale compared to Frisco which causes 200 and more earthquakes each week as they frack Boggs Mountain. LA are small time frackers but the laws of physics will not be violated while I am watching. San Fran is big time and they are rocking Nor Cal. They trigger a larger event every few months.

Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 11.09.58 PM.png

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Wow, and I thought fracking was limited to the Midwest. Are we so greedy (and stupid) that we would be doing this directly on top of the Southern section of the San Andreas fault line, a section that is officially overdue to see considerable activity? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

3. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Little quakes can relieve pressure before a big one happens.

Sasquatch9billion, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I "think" what Cagey is saying that this is not related to oil or monetary opportunity, but to fault line pressure relief to assist in preventing larger scale earthquakes.

5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I dont subscribe to the “relieving pressure” theory because faults like the San Andreas are massive.

Sasquatch9billion, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I think that is why you "should" subscribe to relieving pressure. Which would you prefer Amigo. A series of 3.0's or one 9.8?
    Is there a Seismologists in the house? ;)

7. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Well, a 9.8 magnitude, of course. Lets get this shyte over with for a few more thousand years. Got enough to worry about already in this “covid time”, dont we? One less thing to be concerned with sounds dandy to me!

Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  8. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Hmm, I never really thought of geothermal as fracking- but I guess it really is. Always thought of geothermal as pretty benign.
    Also didn't realize that Boggs has so many quakes.
    Must go further in the rabbit hole.

9. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    you drill a well down to hot rock, put a pipe down the center. Add water and catch the steam as it rises. Take the steam and run it through a turbine. Just like the power people do except you do not burn coal, oil, natural gas, or uranium. The bad news is the entire thing is caustic and your pipe gets eaten, and the salts collect and close your hole. So you drill another hole. San Fran gets their water for free, its from the city of Santa Rosa. They take the waste water and throw it down the hole. The farm used to be limited by water supply, now it is just a flush away. Here is an google map photo of one of Frisco's plants

Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 6.36.18 PM.png

Rumpled, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  10. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Here is City of LA. It shows steam escaping

Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 6.41.43 PM.png

11. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    I thought Crummer Rd is just southeast of the Salton Sea in the City of Calipatria?

If your pipe gets eaten due to the caustic minerals, it doesnt seem cost effective because I'm sure it isnt cheap to drill a geothermal well. I wonder how long before you make your money back in electricity to pay for said well.

I thought that not all geothermal wells are vapor dominated where you need to add water to make steam? I seem to recall only the The Geysers are vapor dominated and the rest are water dominate. Maybe I'm wrong, but recall reading it somewhere.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?