3 Points to Chantry Super Shuttle

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by rossage, Apr 29, 2018.

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    So, a few of us have been toying with the idea of a San Gabes super shuttle. This would involve being dropped off deep in the ANF, followed by a long singletrack ride back to civilization. Nothing like @mike on the AZT-more like a day trip-ha!

My idea has been to run the ride from 3 Pts to Pasadena via multiple trails. Others had suggested 3 Pts to Chantry-and that's what we chose to ride. The Gabrielino between Switzers and Pasadena , while currently in use, is officially closed, and longer, so we opted to stay legal, semi...

@Tom the Bomb lined up the ride and shuttle and we were off. Small group of Bombers-TTB, me, @redwoods, Josh, and Brett. All experienced riders, with well-maintained bikes and proper gear. Knowledge and acceptance of what to come was also necessary.

We met at the top of Santa Anita at the base of Chantry. TTB had Jordan, one of his students, drive us up to 3 Pts in the Bomb Squad Excursion-First class up front, economy in back. Little less than an hour to get to 3 Pts. Smack talk the whole way.

Glimpses of singletrack and a beautiful morning greeted us on the ride up.

3 Pts is at close to 6000ft elevation, a little cooler and a little breezy, and after a few pics we started rolling. I was "volunteered" to be the lead rider and I happily took off down the awesome Silver Moccasin trail(SMT).

The SMT takes you from 3 Pts to West Fork over 14-15 miles of some of the best singletrack around. Many have ridden parts of it as a component of a Chilao/Hillyer loop. Flowy, twisty trail, gives way to rocky, step-down switchbacks and rutted approaches. Eroded wooden steps are a jumper's delight and many suspension components reach their limits on the downs. I was on my hardtail and my Fox 32 went through it's 120mm once or twice on our high speed run

The rarely ridden section between Charlton and Shortcut saddle is always a gamble. There have been shuttle companies running this 3 mile section, though they only ride the first 2 downhill miles. The last mile is a steep climb, with the finish of being serenaded by hordes of passing motos on HWY2. Here is where @redwoods stashed a gallon of water and we all re-filled and got ready for the next leg.

The SMT from Shortcut to West Fork is not a wild card-it's an unknown, as it has a bad reputation for being overgrown. This time it wasn't so bad. Lots of trail runners are training for the ACH100 and the trail has been worked on, somewhat, for the race. The trailrunners like the rocks so they mostly just cut back the brush and leave the rest-Perfect!

TTB took a few pics as we dropped in for the 3.5 miles to West Fork.

Oh man! this trail rocked! A real brake burner. Everybody singing the praise of their Shimano brakes. A last-minute change to metallic pads gave me excellent power but also a slight rotor hum that kept me off the brakes-when possible. When we started at Shortcut, we were about 5000ft elev. 2 miles later we were at 3000ft. Smoking!

We ran into our first group of struggling hikers out there, with their group, including small children, strung out over a mile and way over their heads. They said they were ok and we went on our way....

The end of the SMT devolves into a creek crossing, boulder jumping, log-dodging, mess that reminds one of how remote this area is and why this trail is less traveled. I would do it again tomorrow!

The fireroad climb from West Fork up the the Gabrielino junction is barely 3 miles and about 900ft elev. gain. This deep in the ride it wasn't fun-for most. We also ran into some lost hikers here, looking for Chantry. They were heading the wrong way and we pointed them in the right direction. Their out-of-shape friend we found a little later wasn't so happy about the re-route and muttered, "F@ck my life!" I didn't see them on the evening news so I assume they are alright.

Finally at Newcomb's saddle (not Ranch!) where the Rim trail and the Gabrielino meet. Quick regroup to eat and get ready for the Down.

This section of the Gabrielino is 6 miles down to Chantry. The first 3 miles are just raw hardcore singletrack with some exposure and serious penalty for failure-non of us choose that option. Hoots and hollers echoed down canyon, and the breathless excitement was intoxicating when we re-grouped along the way.

Lots of hikers on the bottom, enjoying the spring day. We gave 'em a show and used up the last of our climbing legs to get up the last, steep, 1/2 mile to Chantry Flats. Total weekend, zoo conditions but we were just passing through. 3 miles down the paved road to the cars and we were done.

Dont know what the other Bombers did, as I was greeted with a text to please come to work at the shop-they were short handed..."F@ck my life" ha ha!

No crashes, no mechanicals, no flats, and no ticks! A few scratches from brush and miles of smiles.

Sorry, I took no pics and in my haste to get to the shop, I left my GPS on in the van so my stats are all messed up-oh well. SHould be about 26/3500. I also forgot some gear in the Bomb squad Excursion...

Hoping @TTb or redwoods posts up some pics.

It was a beautiful day, and a great ride with an excellent crew.

2. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    We were talking with TTB and RW about this last week but couldn't make it because we had the Rwanda 50 lined up. Bummed we missed it, sounds like a blast! Great job with the routing and I'm not surprised all went well with the solid crew. I unfortunately would not have been singing the Shimano brake praise though. with my Avids. :bang::poop: Coincidence Vince has been wanting to do a similar ride starting at 3 points but including Hillyer and ending at El Prieto. Maybe someday, if even possible. Congrats on your ride Bombers!:thumbsup:

Faust29, mtnbikej, Luis and 8 others like this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Do-able but will probably put you over 6000ft elev gain for the day. Pack a lunch....and invite me!

Grego, Faust29, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Sounds perfect!

Faust29, mtnbikej, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Repeat in next few weeks, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know a taker.

TFPU! :thumbsup: Nice job, guys.

Faust29, MrGreedom, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Oh my!
    I would like to do that as soon as I get out of “F@ck my life” mode at work!

Faust29, mtnbikej, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    I miss you guys, even though my life is f@cking awesome (that is, when the diaper contains the sh!t it throws my way). Mr. Bomb, keep me posted on rides, and maybe send the squad to my front door for an intervention! I’ll have a better chance at getting to play when wifey is faced with a whole squad of bombers in full garb requesting my participation.

8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Damn you know it’s good when Ross writes a review!

Faust29, MrGreedom, mtnbikej and 10 others like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    ...gets a phone call from @Tom the Bomb at 9 am, and gets yelled at by his wife from the bedroom for being too loud!
    Took me a half hour to explain what "stoked!" means.

Faust29, MrGreedom, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  10. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Oh ya The Bomb Squad Super Shuttle!
    Ditto Ross!
    Pat and I had discussed this ride and a couple other options since riding the SM from 3 points a couple weeks ago. I called the San Gab trail master Rossage to get some specs and details. Come to find out he has been wanting to do a similar ride to Jpl. Se we decide to do a tester to see just what we are in for. See directions above.
    Well turns out this ride was AWESOME! Temps for the ride were perfect, 60 at the start 70 at the finish. The SM to Chilao AWESOME! Charlton DH towards shortcut Highway 2 AWESOME! Dh down from Highway 2 to West Fork AAAAAwesome! DH from Newcomes saddle down the Gabrieleno Dbl AAAAAWESOME! We Hauled the Mail. The last segment of the SM even though quite a bit of HB was like traversing single track through a jungle! Very remote , tight bolder and rock stepping tree ducking sweetness. Beautiful in there and yes we hit it right with the foot race about to go through there. 28.1 miles , 3301 in Elevation. I could not believe it when I looked at Stava that we did not get over 4k. It felt like a lot more. Bomber Ross totally kicked ass on his new HARDtail! Pat, Jason and Brett rocked it! No crashes, mechanicals or issues. This ride has to rate up in the best of the best of my MTB experiences. We are now looking at step 2 the Strawberry to Chantry run. Stay tuned!
    BBBBaaaaaaaalllllZ Baaaby!

IMG_2350.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2353.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2357.JPG

IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

mike, Cisco Roots, Grego and 17 others like this.
  11. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Dude! That pic of the Silver Moc chunk is sweet. And yes, just past that big, flat, black, rock, is a drop-down, tight right, switchback with consequences.

I think what made this day so epic is threefold:

Planning this thing was in the works for quite a while. The talking about it. Texts. What ifs?

The group. This ride popped up like a boil in the sun. Get on it now. For me, it seems, a group of riders ready for this ride had to be a bunch of slackers, with no visible means of income...ha! Small group, good riders, good fitness.

And, we had a goal. The goal, our destination, and arriving there in one piece. The common goal kept the small group focused on finishing and that kept our morale high and our mental game on point

The Stoke is real!

mike, Luis, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  12. redwoods

redwoods Member

Name:
    Pat
    Current Bike:
    Kona Process 153
    I was too tired to eat that bagel sandwich! :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

The San Gabriel Epic, v1. Quite a tough ride, but not due to the climbing - THAT much technical descending works ya! But that just means it's that much more fun than your average ride. Hopefully we get v2 soon...
    IMG_8725.jpg IMG_8727.jpg IMG_8732.jpg IMG_8733.jpg IMG_8735.jpg IMG_8740.jpg IMG_8743.jpg IMG_8749.jpg
    Here's a few more pics for all yall. After Newcomb's Saddle, we were moving too fast, it was too much fun, and I was too tired to take any more.

mike, OTHRider, Grego and 18 others like this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
  14. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    He quietly mutters from behind the stinking hamper...

mike, redwoods, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  15. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7

Reading your RR I could feel my heart rate speed up!!:eek::eek: And your Stoke is real!! Great reading!!

mike, MrGreedom, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Epic... :thumbsup:

I agree with @scan, the stoke oozes from your report. Sounds like both a hoot and a holler! That much DH sounds fun, but I am guessing that 3300' of climbing was kind of like Palm Canyon Epic's climbing - deceivingly difficult.

Good job, lads! :cool:

mike, MrGreedom, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  17. Erik H - MWBA

Erik H - MWBA Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    JEALOUSY

mike, Luis, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  18. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Seriously

I would definitely be down for this! Adding the front side of the Gabes would be kickass.

Not to diminish the stoke of your epic but the following day, Burt rode with us around Chilao then headed down to where he left his truck at the Angeles Crest/210 fwy. His stats were 46/6800 for a burly epic!

mike, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  19. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    There's always "that guy"...Hey @burt !

I know that this ride is not the longest, hardest, most epik-er, ever done, but what it was is the culmination of all the right things happening at the right time. I know that @Tom the Bomb is already working on another version but I don't know if everything can come together as well as the original. The trails are there and in great shape so thats good. The riding crew and the timing will have a lot to do with the success of the ride.

mike, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    All those things coming together is what makes it epic!

mike, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  21. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Totally! :)

22. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    A ride I've had in my head is to cross the Gabes. Remember the GP pilot trip report on the other site? Gone from there, but found it on MTBR http://forums.mtbr.com/california-socal/gabes-redux-744083.html

Instead of Wrightwood, make it more epic by starting in Acton, go up AT, connect to Pacifico Mtn and ride down Chilao/Silver Moccasin and then the same Shortcut/Gab/Sturtevant/Chantry route.

If Alder Creek Tr, Condor Peak or trail off the back side of Strawberry Pk ever open up there would be more options - still could get around as things are now, but would require plenty of forest road. Would be cool to incorporate Strawberry Peak, down to Gabrielino all the way to JPL.

23. Rider

Rider Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Mike Miller
    We did this exact same ride about 10+ years ago. We also called it the super shuttle. Hey Tom, I still have the same phone number, you know. I would of jumped into this one for sure. And Ross, that's a top caliber RR to say the least. let me know when you plan another epic, I'd love to jump in.

Tom the Bomb, Luis, rossage and 2 others like this.