2nd Annual Mtnbikej's Bday Social

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Dec 15, 2018.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Well, another awesome day in the books.

We did this last year, had a really fun time, so decided to do it again this year.

I put out the invite several weeks back. Knowing it was around the holidays, free time is a premium. Early on got some tire kickers, but not really any "for sures". So when @horsebikerider and I got to the meet up location this morning, there was no telling who would show.

First to arrive was @DangerDirtyD . Sweet...this always makes for a fun time. @guywhodoesntdoforums , @girlwhodoesntdoforums , the Professor, @cajun , @H2oChick , @Faust29 all rolled in. Just before our 9am roll time, a pair of crazy Canadians rolled in.... @Mikie & @Voodoo Tom

IMG_6796.JPG IMG_6794.JPGIMG_6795.JPG

Geared up and we rolled out. First things first we needed to knock out the first grunt up Quail Hill....much easier with gears. Up and down....ok, mostly up Serrano Ridge. We'd get spread out then regrouped. Before too long we made it to the top of Camarillo. We rolled in....the top is definitely slower now. Made the turn onto the trail and into the chunk. WTF o_O the trail had been worked on and dumbed down. Someone had filled in dirt between a lot of the rocks. Still a fun decent.

Screenshot (113).png

Down and onto Stagecoach South. The rain did a number on the trail, but it was all good. We kinda just kept moving.

Got to the bottom of Willow and picked up @herzalot . Now we started the slog up Willow. As usual, it warmed up pretty good climbing the first part. Add in it looks like they just recently dragged it, it was pretty loose. Again we got strung out. Quick regroup at the top of Willow.

We headed off towards Boat Rd. Suz decided to hang back at Old Emerald. More ups and downs along Bommer to Boat.

IMG_4319.jpg IMG_4320.jpg IMG_4324.jpg IMG_4326.jpg IMG_4327.jpg

Dropped down to pick up Cow Trail. The entrance was little loose and slippery, but the trail was good. Fun flowy up and downs over the bridges....followed up the hard right and steep climb up. The bottom was rutted pretty good requiring a HAB...but short. The rest of the climb was not an issue.

Back up on Bommer and heading back towards Old Emerald. @herzalot bailed out at TNA to head back over to Aliso......"someone" got a flat. Once again we got spread out and some stayed for the tire repair, while the others headed back to meet up with Suz. Yes, we all stood around and pointed and laughed and pointed some more while they changed the flat.

Back to it we reached Old Emerald in short order. Let another rider heed down as not all of us were there yet. The others had already headed down. We charged it. @DangerDirtyD hot on my tail.

Up Emerald Canyon....again it was toasty, as it usually is. Finally met back up with Suz, Kay and Jeremy at the top and continued on over to Fence Line/Missing Link. By this point there was already talk of some of the group bailing out early. But not before we had a ruckus run down Lizard.

IMG_6793.JPG

The climb up Upper Laurel under the Toll Rd and back on to Serrano was what broke some....not really, but half the group was just gonna head back on Serrano, while the hearty did another run down Camarillo. Still fun. The climb up Stagecoach North was slow. Ruts were deeper, more loose rocks....and a fair number of hikers on the DH down to Nix.

Quick water refill at Nix.... @DangerDirtyD got a pair of shiny jingle bells.

All that was left was the ups and down on West Canyon back to Serrano and down to Quail.

We followed all that up with some tacos from Sharky's.

I'm greatful that you all came out and joined in. I hope all had a good time. :inlove:

Will have to see what next year holds....perhaps a deathmarch of some sort.

Oh yeah, 29 / 4600' and a whole lot of this :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

2. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Awe man, happy bday!!! Feeling a little jealous of the dirt riding, glad you got some:thumbsup:

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    'fess up - who got the flat?

Thanks for the "rest of the story." I'll let others chime in about scenery. Great seeing all y'all out there. It was a great treat to ride with so many cool peeps, all with their own style and contributions.

My run down T and A was fun fun fun. After all of that fireroad riding and climbing, it was wonderful to get back on to the rowdy rocks. I cramped riding up Philips Rd on the way back up to Stair Steps. All in all, it took me 30 minutes to climb from the bottom of Phillips to the top of Stairs. No matter. A raucous fast run down Lynx cleansed the palette and soul and was a perfect end to a great morning on the bike.

16.5 and 3270' for me.

Happy B-Day J-Zilla!

4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It was a good day... Allergies were still acting up, and I wasn't 100% after my little 900 mile taco run. But there was no way I was going to not show up... :thumbsup:

What a cast of characters in the parking lot! @DangerDirtyD , @cajun , @H2oChick , @shewhodoesntdoforums, @hewhodoesntdoforums, @TheProfessor, and @horsebikerider. All there to see the birthday boy... :thumbsup: And we were joined shortly thereafter by the Canadians, @Mikie and @Voodoo Tom . @herzalot joined in at the Willow lot.

The ups really hurt today... Not enough air getting where it needed to go. But... The Hightower was a lot of fun going downhill. Camarillo, Boat, Old Emerald, Fenceline, Lizard, Stagecoach and Nix were all a riot on the squishy bike. :thumbsup:

A little Camarillo fun...

It was nice to see @Mikie acting as an ambassador to all the e-moto riders who flagrantly violated the park rules... :whistling: No video footage of that... :stop: :whistling:

@herzalot - As far as the flat goes, I've ridden with Wolfie twice in the last month and he's flatted on a fire road both times! Maybe the fire roads are too much for some guys? Maybe he needs more travel? At least he didn't flat inside the restaurant...

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

Fun day... 29 miles and 4600 feet. 3700 feet to go to beat last year's...

5. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Whoa what a fun day with the IMTB peeps - and @cajun and I got to finally ride with @Mikie and @Voodoo Tom
    I will say my legs are toast after today's ride.
    But most important HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON!

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    What a ride! Great group, nice day. Score!

TFPU the reportage and media.

HB, MTBJ :thumbsup:

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Great ride! Fun folks!
    Traffic home was nauseating at best. Got home at 7:10pm. :gag:
    I got a few pics. But going to spend some time with Mrs. Watson! :)

Happy Birthday @mtnbikej !

@H20Chick totally lived up to everything I imagined including being a rockin mountain biker! Glad to finally meet her other half @cajun as well!

That first climb was a doozy with many solid climbs there after.
    I’m sure I’ have more to blab later!

The whole gang was awesome!

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Looks like everyone had a blast. I would have liked to have gotten some of that, but alas, it was not to be.

But anyway, HBD @mtnbikej !!!

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    Too far away? :whistling:

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Stop it, you two! I swear I’ll pull this car over! :Roflmao

11. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Happy Birthday Jason! That looked like a fun ride!

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Happy Birthday Ride!!! I had hoped to be there but wasn't in the cards.

13. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Happy Birthday Jason! It looks like you all had a wonderful ride out there.

14. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Happy b Day Jason, glad to see you and the rest had a great outing!!

15. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Still sick otherwise would have be there. Looks like a good group of talented riders. Happy Birthday Jason!:)

16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    This is my official report and :eek: I'm sticking to it!
    @Voodoo Tom and I had full intentions of joining this ride. Even if it was all the way down below the border in Mexico. :rolleyes: Tom even thought of posting a "decoy" trail invite but then we worried if someone would actually show up for the ride... :laugh: Actually "Show Up..." :Roflmao
    Ahem.. yeah, well... :coffee:
    So we planned accordingly, and the full plan was we "were" going to crash @Tom the Bomb 's place Saturday evening unannounced to raise havoc on his household. Yeah, we were feeling very "rumblish". But the latter part did not happen because the traffic on the 405 heading home... did. :gag:

Leaving my place a 6:30am to get to VT's at 7:15 turned into a Interstate 5 panic... AGAIN, as 3 lanes were closed down up near Pyramid Lake , in a location I could not skirt around on some side road cause there is no side road to sneak around on. Traffic from Pyramid Lake all the way to Orange county proved to be very stressful. I drove the Civic and we watched arrival time like a hawk as it was showing at best an 8:53 arrival time, and "Roll Time" from the trailhead was 9:00am! :oops: (Although we DID roll at 9:06am!)

@DangerDirtyD had texted us the night before asking what we were riding tomorrow. I think he "knew" we were going to crash the J'sBD without actually knowing it. Kinda an imtb-premonition! Which he was right.

As we slowly rolled into the parking lot we had the windows down and were in low rider position with arms hanging on the top of the doors. The first to see us was who I thought was @H2oChick chick. I say "thought" as I had never actually ever met her and there is no pics of her on the internet, "I think".:cool: But then @mtnbikej realized we were there and everyone sighed a sigh of depression as we just lowered the standards of the ride sample...:cautious:
    So we suited up for the 2nd Annual mtnbikej Birthday social ride...
    I'm still trying to figure out "where" in this ride was the social part. :sneaky: We got strung out several times. I would not say the pace was actually "social" and the climbing for the day is pretty self evident from the below STRAVA profile! :coffee: This is a tuff crowd. I liked it!
    upload_2018-12-16_12-55-4.png

It started with what felt like we were climbing a wall with spiderman tires a 300 foot elevation climb. We had "maybe" a half mile warm up to get there and the climbs just kept coming from that point on. I thought about bringing my Yeti with it's BMX size wheels for this as my Santa Cruz Hightower is like pedaling a Sherman Tank on fire road climbs...:gag: But it was all good!
    So I gotta say for a group this large and of such diversity, this group can climb! At one point I was getting a little leg tired but like always, my Tailwind's pulled me through!

At one point somewhere in the ride we dropped to another trailhead location, and there was this guy sitting on a bench. As I rolled up on him I stared at him and he stared right back at me. We could have been leading to a rumble, but then he spoke and he sounded just like @herzalot . It was probably because it WAS Chris! Ha hah! An added bonus of the day! I hug everyone and he got his share as well! :thumbsup:

Towards the end of the ride, a small group of "STUDS" split off from those who BAILED ON US NEVER TO BE SEEN THE REMAINDER OF THE DAY! :mad: We stopped at some very silly multi million dollar "Reflecting Garden" BS thingy where I felt my Tax dollars were NOT at work to refill on some water. I took my 70 oz. Camelbak this time and ran myself dry with only a half small bottle on my bike left... Refilled the bottle and dropped a stick pack of Berry in my water bottle and I was good to go for whatever we had left which sounded like about 4 miles with some large roller coaster climbs back to the vehicles.

The highlight of the day was seeing all the familiar imtbtrailers... AND, meeting some I have NOT met before which I believe were @H2oChick chick aka K-Oss and @cajun aka G-Reg! Bummed we did not get to hang out after the ride! :(

So Amy kicked our asses all day long on the climbs, par for the course... There were some great singletrack sections. My favorite was Camarillo! Lizards was good too! There was one trail after we dropped as close to the ocean as we were going to get that had a bunch of bridges in the ravines that was a bunch of fun as well!

Only mechanicals was Amy lost her chain, but we found it, and @DangerDirtyD got a flat (on the fire road :confused:)...

Quotes of the day:

• @H2oChick chick coming around the corner, "Here comes the Girls! Here comes the Girls!" It just put a big smile on my face! ;)
    • We were talking about girls on suspension bikes and good ole Triple D blurts out, Well girls are riding 5 to 6 inches! :coffee: mmmmm....
    It was a great day, fun group!

@Faust29 (Steve) following @cajun (Greg) and @H2oChick chick (Kay). I think this is the first pic ever of Kay on the internet! I think she is a covert MTB Spy with a nick name like K-Oss... :ninja:
    DSCF2621.jpg

@mtnbikej (J-Zilla) showing how it's done to be a Pro-Fessional DH'er. I know I have SO much to learn from him and his style... :whistling:
    DSCF2622.jpg

The Professor. He did his first 50 miler with us on the Hellacious ride! Great to see him a second time! He uh, over shot the trail, and liked it. :eek:
    DSCF2623.jpg

Serpentine! Serpentine!
    DSCF2626.jpg

@horsebikerider Suzanne! This girl can descend! (And she is trouble no matter where she goes... I like her!)
    DSCF2627.jpg

I don't think this guys was with us! o_O Dood! Roll and pass me a fatty!
    DSCF2628.jpg

HO HO HO! The Beard, The Red, The Expression, The Time of Year... Everything just screamed I'm Santa Clauses, Bitches! This is Jeremy, I think nick named The Jerm also known as @hewhodoesnotdoforums...
    DSCF2629.jpg

The pic sucks, the view was amazing, especially for a guy who does not see the ocean very often...
    DSCF2630.jpg

Felt like we were going to drop right into the ocean!
    DSCF2632.jpg

Forget me! I was trying to get a pic of Amy next to me... Grrrrrr!
    DSCF2633.jpg

Pic of Amy who literally kicked my azz... All. Day. Long. What a way to go :inlove:!
    DSCF2635.jpg

I know something is up with Amy's bike and Doctor J is working on it. This is jumping on that cool trail with all the bridges... We found the confounded bridge!
    DSCF2637.jpg

Steve on his new rig. Huh... He likes it! I was not surprised. He made a good choice!
    DSCF2638.jpg

The Flat-ster... DangerDirtyD... DONE DIRT CHEAP! :thumbsup: Triple D is a blast no matter what we are doing!
    DSCF2641.jpg

Last Pic. Partner in crime... The Voodoo...
    DSCF2644.jpg

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Oh and I promised to Doctah a pic due to bad lighting...
    group.jpg

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I think my version is bettah. :p

doctah.jpg

Faust29, ~JB~, Tom the Bomb and 5 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    And dis one is even bettah, still!

doctah2.jpg

20. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Looks like a good ride. I was out there on the Gravel bike and ran into J's wife at the top of OE. She said everyone had just dropped down into the canyon.

21. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Yeah bet you can’t you fix this one?
    ECD6C94C-0C3B-4642-B5C6-146AC1AF2DE3.jpeg

22. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    That one is already PERFECT.

23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I think your version IS my version...:rolleyes:;)

24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Well yeah, the first one was...

Tom the Bomb, pperrelle and Mikie like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    He started it!!! :rolleyes:

26. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Happy birthday J. Was hoping to make this one but spent my weekend in the ER with gpa. Looks like it was another great ride. Hope I can make the next one. Cheers.

27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    YIKES!!! Get better. :thumbsup:

28. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike: