2nd Annual Hellacious Ride 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Oct 28, 2018.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Well....that time of year came around again. We had so much fun last year doing the Hellacious Ride, we decided it needed to be done again.

Last year it was a late last minute plan. This year it was a little different. I put out a public invite hoping we might get some more takers. Early on, it looked like we might have a sizable group. As it got closer, the big group dwindled...but that was ok.

So we met at 6:00am at Hangar 24 well ahead of the Hell Ride. @Faust29 @Mikie @Voodoo Tom @Sidewalk (Josh v.1) @rossage and the Professor(Josh v.2) hit the road about 6:05am. Quick stop across the Hwy at the top of Middle Control Rd to drop a cooler and some water(last year we missed the Aid Station so we planned ahead this time).

We made it up to the Village in Big Bear and temps were showing 35-38*.....cool but not horrible. Josh brought donuts....they looked soo good, but I know how they would make me feel. :sick:

We rolled at 7:30. We all warmed up real quick as we would spend the first 45 minutes. We didn't dilly dally at the top of 7 Oaks. I took off first, and immediately blew the first turn......again. :bang: Josh v.1 and Mikie got out front. Josh v.2, Ross and myself were in the middle.....Tom and Steve were bringing up the rear. 7 Oaks was soft and rutted....but oh so fun. The Professor took a tumble off the side a little ways down, but landed in the kitty litter....no harm, no foul.....welcome to 7 Oaks. We continued on hooting and hollering. At the bottom with fried brakes we continued on to make the 6 mile climb over to South Fork.

Pretty uneventful, just lots of socializing. Before long we reached South Fork. Quick break and we were seeing a few riders just starting for Hell Ride. The plan was not to hammer. And for the most part we didn't. The pace was quick at times, but with Sidewalk, Mikie and Ross out front....that is what happens. Before long we started working our way through Hell Riders....eventually passing an injured rider hiking out. Shortly before we reached Glass Rd. I heard someone call out my name....but we were starting a fun flowy section so I rung my bell and continued on to Glass Rd. Turns out it was @DangerDirtyD and @MrGreedom groups as they would roll up just before we continued on.

At one of the bridges, we ran into @Grego which was a surprise, and Trail Slayer before the last push to Middle Control Rd.

From there is was a grind up MCR where we emerged into the Aid Station. I didn't pay for the event, so I didn't feel right using it. A quick hello to @Cyclotourist , but apparently he won't remember that. :oops: Quick trip over to our water stash and we continued on. From here down we would be seeing a lot more Hell Riders.

The middle section of SART is a mixed bag of trail.....fast and flowy, steep and chunky, exposed and narrow. Ross had an issue in one turn in front of me. Got held up in traffic a few times...but the trail wasn't wide enough to pass.

We dropped out on the fireroad down at Thomas Hunting Grounds. Immediately the temps spiked. It was getting really toasty. The pace again was being pushed on the descent by Ross and Mikie. Before long we were at the bottom of Morton Peak. Now the sun was blazing, the temps were high and the breeze didn't feel like it was doing anything. We got spread out here. Fortunately, it was over in a timely manner. Sidewalk was the only one to take the extra credit to the lookout tower. At this point all the big climbing was over, which was good as the Professor was starting to fight some cramps.

Onto the lower section of SART. Some of the washed out areas that were really narrow in the past, have been worked on and rebenched. I was out front and on one of the really narrow sections, hit a branch protruding across the trail....it knocked off my line a little bit, my front wheel dropped off the side and I dropped a knee into the dirt.....no biggy. From here on down it was a lot of....a lot of expsoure. A few more DH's and some roadie miles and we reached the finish.

We parted ways with the guys from Canada, Ross and the Professor. Steve, Josh and I started back up the mtn. We were so far ahead of schedule that making it to Rocky's for a sandwich wasn't going to be a problem today.....the pastrami was sooo tasty.

Back up at the Village after lunch we once again parted ways. I was heading down the back side of the mountain to retrieve the ice chest and head home. Lots of traffic in Big Bear, but once I started up towards Onyx Summit, the road was clear. About 1 mile from the turnout for the ice chest, traffic came to a complete stop. There was an overturned Porsche Boxster. They said it could be 1-2 hrs before they let us through. Started to consider backtracking to Glass Rd and coming back up Middle Control Rd. After 20 mins they started letting some of us through. Finally made it home @ 7:00.

Good time on the mountain with the Hooligans. Biggest ride ever for the Professor....he killed it.

IMG_4210.jpg IMG_4212.jpg IMG_4215.jpg

konakc, Postal Pat, PATKOUG and 31 others like this.
  2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    So wait does this mean @rossage took a total of 3 dirt naps yesterday?...:Roflmao Such a fun day and a great route. Pleasure to meet @Sidewalk and Josh 2.0(who killed it and had the biggest smile all day long). Sure wish the OC was closer to Canada cuzz riding with you boys is always fun. Lots of imtb peeps on the trail yesterday:thumbsup:. Sorry no pics from me since I was just focused on having fun and not crashing. Thanks for the invite and the master plan J-Zilla.

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Nah, I never actually went down. It was more like I was jumping off of an out of control bike! Finished the day with only a few forearm dings...
    Great day out there. The extra mileage brought back the epicness that had been lacking the last few times...

Trails are in excellent condition, but dusty.

We had 4 Santa Cruz bikes. 2 Hightowers and 2 Chameleon. 2 Specialized bikes. An Epic and my Chisel. And a Pivot?

No mechanicals in our group but we saw quite a few

Saw a few people I recognized but we never stopped long enough to say much.

Something about just railing miles of singletrack...

Oh yeah, @Mikie and @Voodoo Tom need some switchback practice ... Canadians... Sheesh!

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Yeti

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I remember saying hi to someone at top of MCR, and then seeing them ride across Hwy 38!

Keep it up, this is working!!!

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

That was us.

7. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Short version:

Awesome ride, will patronize again!

8. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Sounds like a great time. Well done, lads, TFPU! :thumbsup:

9. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Yes it does sound like a blast! :thumbsup: What's the deal with the first turn at Oaks @mtnbikej ? :D

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    We ran into you at the aid station... :thumbsup:

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Here's a taste of 7 Oaks for you, Rocky! It was really more than one turn that was loose... It was loose from top to bottom. My rear brake rotor is now a nice shade of purple. :D

Redman, Postal Pat, PATKOUG and 23 others like this.
  12. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Excellent video. You can hear your freehub in the background almost the whole way... No pedaling... That trail is all down.

13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Fashion nightmare.

14. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Why is Mikie still wearing spandex?o_O:Roflmao

Redman, PATKOUG, scan and 10 others like this.
  15. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You should try following him down the trail...
    :eek:

16. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    That looks like a really sweet ride!

17. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Yes, thanks for posting @rossage !!!

18. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Haha, my yoga students cracks are enough for me! But I do like riding with the Mikie :thumbsup:

19. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    The best laugh I had all day was when someone pointed out @DangerDirtyD had a target on the ass of his biker shorts.

20. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    He did! He turned around and all I saw was a bullseye on his ass.
    Between that and @Mikie 's ill-fitting, worn out, and sagging lycra, I've seen enough man ass for quite a while.

21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I don't think it's our place to judge.

22. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Last year was such a blast, it was a moral imperative to hit that again. Especially with the weather being so perfect and all! For me, my day started at 2:30 am to be at @Voodoo Tom 's by 3:45am. :gag: Yuk! But if you want to be an Epic imtb'er that's what you do as those Epics are not usually right in your back yard. Pretty much all has been said here already, but at least here are a few more pics.

Oh! and @Cyclotourist ! I hollared at you at the Middle Control Road checkpoint and you came over and gave me a big hug. I said, "Hold on now! Use both arms! You are imtbfamily!" Remember? I hope you are okay bud!

@rossage there was one mechanical. I got a rear tire puncture on the Morton Peak climb (go figure) pumped it up, would not seal so I plugged it with the help of Nurse Voodoo and we continued on...

A couple of shout outs...
    Okay, I can totally suck. Sometimes I'm in bike mode and not thinking like Mikie the forum guy. So I did NOT get pics of some folks on the trail and I want to apologize!

@Grego! I only said hello and we were rolling again. Down the trail I thought we blew out too quickly and I did not get a pic of my buddy Greg. :thumbsdown: I suck #1.
    Vince the Trail Slayer! I always get a pic of Vince and I did not. :thumbsdown: I suck #2
    @Cyclotourist ! Apparently you took a tumble and got a concussion. I remember when @mountaingirl sara got her concussion and it scared the hell out of me! I hope you are okay mi amigo! AND... I did not get a pic of you. :thumbsdown: I suck #3.
    Man.. This is looking really bad for me. :oops:

@Jurven240z ! Okay, So I'm railing down this singletrack I "think" they say it is near some hunting place, whatever. It's tight, it's twisty, it's narrow, it's loose. And there is some really sweet exposure! Mikie likey! So it was dumb of me to even think to say it, yet I did.
    "Hey Bud! Do you think I can get by you?" Dumb... right? But instead of moving over, he pours it on! Oh! okay! :thumbsup: When we hit the fire road, I cruise by him and we fist bump, and he says, "Hey, what's you name?" I say, "It's Mikie." He says, "It's me, Jurven240z." I say, "No flippin way!?!?!?" I tell him this calls for more than a fist bump. I owe you a imtbhug brothah! He get's the biggest grin on his face, as did I! Yeah... imtbfamily... But just as we hit the trail again, I thought crap0! I should have got a pic of him! :mad: So yes... :thumbsdown: I totally suck #4. If it was baseball, I would have already struck out...
    Sorry brothah's! But I didn’t miss getting a pic of the margarita girl! Ha ha! :geek:

So for those of you who think this kind of ride is out of your range. You are wrong. I have not been training much, just came off a fractured pelvis. If you are looking for stretch goals, this is a good one!
    Get out and ride!

Best quote of the day for me was this. The Professor was driving off from Hangar 24 at the end of the day. I hailed him down and ran up and handed him an imtbtrails sticker. He looked at the sticker for a second and said, "Wow! Thanks. After riding with you guys today, this really means something!" That was a cool statement. I hope the Professor comes back...

Voodoo and I split as soon as we hit the Hangar and saying our goodbye's. We had a two hour drive to Castaic and another hour based on traffic to my house. Yet, the Voodoo smeagled a couple of cold Shocktop's out of a cooler bag in the truck we chugged prior to driving off, Then we hit up a Rubio's for some Taco's and a Pacifico each! Traffic home was not too bad!

Another Epic under the belt. I know I need more of those in my life with the best people on the planet! Imtb'ers!

:thumbsup:Mikie

The mighty @rossage and the Professor (Josh v.2). The Professor! He is an imtbtrails keeper.
    DSCF2511.jpg

@Faust29 !
    DSCF2513.jpg

@Voodoo Tom and @Sidewalk on Donut Number 3... I think? o_O
    DSCF2514.jpg

@mtnbikej
    DSCF2515.jpg

Getting ready to drop 7 Oaks.... Oh yeah... 7 Oaks. Captain Jay points the way!
    DSCF2516.jpg

Peeling off gear in the sunshine at the top of 7 Oaks. Voodoo Tom, The Professor, and Mary Anne.
    DSCF2517.jpg

Mikie and Sidewalk. Josh is a fun guy and very fast. So glad he chose to jump on.
    DSCF2519.jpg

Faust29. Hmmmm... I'm not "exactly" sure what's going on here, but "leg" was being shown...:eek:

DSCF2522.jpg

Almost at the bottom of 7 Oaks. The Professor pretty much had that smile on his face all day...

DSCF2523.jpg

Jason.

DSCF2524.jpg

Pure Pork Rossage.
    DSCF2525.jpg

DSCF2526.jpg

Captain Consistent Voodoo Tom!
    DSCF2527.jpg

Faust29 aka Steve. Yeah... He is in there, somewhere...

DSCF2528.jpg

Bottom of 7 Oaks, the Voodoo.
    DSCF2529.jpg

Better pic of Brothah Steve.
    DSCF2531.jpg

Faust29 in an over the shoulder shot on the 6 Mile climb to the top of SART.
    DSCF2532.jpg

This guy never shuts up! I would NOT have it any other way. Pure entertainment of the most awesome and rarest kind!
    DSCF2537.jpg

YES! @MrGreedom ! I'm chasing some random dude making his ride hell riding right on his rear wheel and I hear someone shout out "MIKIE!" I did a nose wheelie stopping to give this sucka a huge imtbhug!
    DSCF2538.jpg

A who's who day! You will never see this guy and WOLFIE at the same party. Hmmmm.... @DangerDirtyD ! Yeah... I got my hug!

DSCF2541.jpg

@burt is so fast that even when he is standing still the pic is a blur. Dang low light and a jumpy cameraman...:oops:
    DSCF2542.jpg

Apparently I decided to take a lot of abstract art pics today.... Not intended but sometimes it happens... The day was kinda a blur as we kept the pace on most all of the day. The way I LIKE IT!
    DSCF2543.jpg

Last bike shot of the day from me. rossage, a good friend.
    DSCF2545.jpg

Okay, I don't know the dude in the orange... but, he was not, ummm the focus of my pic... I call her Heidi and I think she was the margarita girl at the aid station... You are welcome! :cool:
    DSCF2547.jpg

The Stats!
    16 PR’s for the day!

upload_2018-10-28_18-54-5.png

23. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Just the fact that you looked made my day...:inlove:

I will tell you why I wear Lycra:
    1. It does not get caught on the nose of the saddle.
    2. It is SOOOO much cooler to ride in during warm weather.
    3. Baggies rhymes with faggies which rhymes with @rossage as apparently he was watching my azz more than the trail since he dirt dove 3 times on the ride... amateur. :whistling:

24. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Oh no @Cyclotourist !!! I hope you’re ok! That’s some scary shite! It took me a good month to get my head back on straight, but I still have no recollection of that ride.
    Heal up sir!

PATKOUG, herzalot, scan and 9 others like this.
  25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Haha, I love ya Mikie, I’m just having a little fun at your expense! You’re a rock star..mmmuaah!:inlove:
    Also, you don’t need to explain anything...to each his/her own:thumbsup:

26. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    So...

Anybody got the downhill stats? My Wahoo says 9553 ft descent but @Faust29 says it's more like 10000.

27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Mine shows 4500+ gain, and 9800 loss this time around...

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

You come in pretty hot and the trail turns 180*.....I only ride the trail 1 time a year and always forget about that turn.

29. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Good one Hooligans! What was total ride time? Wish I coulda made this. Was in San Diego.

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Moving Time: 5:20
    Overall Time: 6:22