29er DH Finally Coming?

Discussion in 'Gravity Junkies' started by mtnbikej, Apr 16, 2017.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Fox's 29'' DH Fork... and Mondraker's 29er DH Bike?

It doesn't get much more obvious than this, does it?. Fox mechanic Kolja Schmitt posted a photo of the company's upcoming 29er DH fork to his personal Instagram page yesterday, all but confirming confirming the non-stop off-season rumors that many of the sport's largest teams will be moving from 27.5'' to 29'' wheels for their World Cup DH race effort.

p4pb14616940.jpg

Fox had no official comment when questioned, but it's a safe bet that the new fork, which has the not so creative name of the '49,' will use the same RAD internals as the 27.5'' 40 that their racers have been on. The 49 will have a different offset compared to the standard 40, and surely a bit less travel as well - 29'' wheels generally don't require as much stroke, and its axle-to-crown length would be massive if it were sporting 200mm of travel. My guess is that most riders on the 49 will run around 180mm or 190mm. Remember that photo of Santa Cruz's Greg Minnaar on a long-travel 29er with a dual-crown fork from back in December? The new 49 pictured above is the outcome of that, and many other test sessions, and the whispers of a 29'' wheeled V10 have to be true.

The other thing to note is the bike that the 49 is bolted to. Check out that distinctive shadow that looks a lot like a Mondraker Summum - will we see Danny Hart and the rest of the team on 29'' wheels this season? It sure looks like it.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, RS VR6 and 5 others like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Sweet, finally a worthy tandem fork hitting the market!!!! : )

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Intense built a 29er DH bike several years ago (951 29er). I saw it at Fontana - once. It looks like the technology has once again caught up and we will be seeing 29ers in WC DH competition this year. This could be the end of the 27.5. As soon as 29ers start taking over the DH podium, there are no longer any reasons to ride the relatively new small-wheeled bike. Slopestyle being the lone exception (26ers still preferred there).

In 2012, I said that 26ers will disappear as soon as 27.5s took over the DH podium. That happened in 2015. It will happen again. This year. Wagon wheels for all. Resistance is futile. They are faster, plow over stuff better and are more forgiving of potential endos. I still want to say that the gyroscopic effect is an issue, that slow switchbacks and long wheel bases don't mix and that bigger wheels and longer fork lowers introduce too much flex, but I'm probably wrong.

I still like the look and feel of my small-wheeled 27.5 and will cling onto it until I can no longer keep up (just like when I ditched my 26er).

Mikie, MrGreedom, Severum and 6 others like this.
  4. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
  5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C

All these comments, and nobody mentioned that Joeypalmer spelled "nett" incorrectly? What is this site coming to? :p (German for "nice")

Yep... That's about all I can contribute to a DH thread.

6. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    German is so WWII.
    Get with the program, comrade. Russian is the American way...

Mikie, HBkites, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Come on up to the San Gabes and I'll show you how its done. Burt will do it with a nose wheelie!

Mikie, MrGreedom, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  8. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    What is different from a 29r DH bike that didn't work a few years ago to one from 2017? I've always heard that 29r's didn't work for DH bikes is that the rear wheel is too big and would hit the frame and/or rider. They would either have to run longer rear triangle or hella kink the seat tube?:cautious:

Danny Hart isn't a big guy...a 29r DH bike to him must be huge. I can see a guy like Minnar benefiting from a 29r DH...but a smaller guy...not so sure. You have a long wheelbase + big wheels...not so sure on how it would handle with a smaller rider.

Friend of mine has a Slash 29...and that thing is big.

9. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I say, let's split the difference!

Mikie, HBkites, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Someone should do a bike with a 27.5 rear and a 29" front! Call it the Blender or something like that! ;)

Mikie, Luis, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    It's been done, but the other way around if'n IRC...@Faust29 had a Frankenbike with his Blunt wheelset and El Mariachi, with something like a 2.8" tire in the front. :D

Mikie, HBkites and StrandLeper like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I've seen that done, and it gave me the willies just watching! Hanging over the edge like that is way past my comfort and skill level!
    Good memory... With the 27.5+ tire, though, there is very little change to the geometry. It's basically a 29er with taller sidewalls.

13. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    29er's are for weirdos, hippies, Lycra, 24 hr racers, 1.9" tubed tires, 660mm flat bar dudes, gripshifter freaks. Ha ha ha a DH 29er will never work.

Mikie, MrGreedom, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    29er 1.9"??? Too big. I have a set of 29er 1.8" tires hanging in the garage now. But they're tubeless, so that's ok.

Does this mean I ride XC???:oops:

Mikie likes this.
  15. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    My jovial laughter and sarcastic points of conversation do not translate well on a forum. Sorry I am a jerk. ;)

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Troll! Ha Ha!

17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I'm taking a screenshot, and saving it for when the 29ers start winning on the DH circuit. :whistling:

Mikie, Luis, doublewide and 2 others like this.
  18. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I gotta set the record straight. I am 100% for 29er DH. They will be an advantage on nearly every WC course, save for maybe 2 tracks per season. But I Dont think it will be reasonable for a size Small frame/rider. But for 5'10" plus riders it's really a no brainer.

Why now and not years ago?
    1. We have appropriate tires and rims for DH now
    2. We have boost
    3. 27.5 opened the door, even after much debate about the physics.

Time warp to 2007

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/2087-BCD-Racing-29er-Carbon-Fiber-DH-Bike.html

And 2009
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2009/07/13/why-doesnt-anyone-make-a-29er-downhill-bike/#comments

And this !!!!!

But let's be honest, a foes mixer enduro with a 29er 170mm Lyric could be competitive on world cups today.

IMG_6255.JPG

Mikie, RS VR6, Luis and 5 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I am secretly hoping that 29ers are a dismal failure on the WC DH scene, so I can continue to see a purpose to my 27.5" wheels, even if WC DH has absolutely nothing to do with my riding ability or style. I am guessing the big hoops will take over the podium as quickly as the 27.5s did in 2015. :(

20. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    But we already had 157mm DH standard hub width.....

Mikie and littlewave like this.
  21. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Yep, but front end???

Mikie likes this.
  22. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    Whats 20mm axle hub spacing? 110?

Whats boost?

Mikie likes this.
  23. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Stranded front hubs are all 100mm spacing regardless of axel size. Boost front is 110mm

And I do not think that is negligible marketing BS. On a front wheel of a DH 29er bike that's going to make big difference is wheel survival and precision in handling and holding a line.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  24. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    You sure?
    I dont think its the spacing that makes the difference. I think its the location of the spoke flanges that build a stronger wheel.

Mikie likes this.
  25. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    That's correct.
    One example is hope pro 4 front.
    You gain 5mm more flange spacing from center on the left side with boost. Zero change on right side. It would have been nice if they took boost front a little further:)

But my point is simple, while a marginal increase in flange width ( actually it is 25% increase in width from center) it is NOT negligible, it DOES provide a front wheel that is better at resisting lateral forces(at the very least)

This may not mean much to Joe Blow weekend warrior, but it does mean something to a pro DHer at the WR cup level. There is absolutely no doubt about it that a boost 9'er front fork/wheel could mean the difference in finishing a run or not, or holding the tight line out of a g-out.
    Same reason we have the 157mm rear. Otherwise 135, 142, 150, or 148 would do just fine.

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  26. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    ... but I just went 27.5 on all my bikes. noooooooooooooooooooooo!

27. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    But wait...there is more. Just read this moments ago.

"Front hubs are likely to stay the same 20mm axle size as it should be stiffer, stronger and lighter than a 15mm axle, as well as using a larger bearing, all of which should be better for extreme use. I did get a tip off that new 29" downhill forks could use a 'Boost' 20x110mm standard. Of course, what you are going to say next is "that's the size we already have for DH." Not so fast, buddy, rumors suggest that a Boost 20x110mm hub will be the same width as before, but the spokes flanges will be set wider apart, and the disc rotor closer to the fork leg. So no, you can't build a new rim onto that old hub you have...—Paul Aston"

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ask-pinkbike-tires-geometry-dh-hubs-2017.html

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  28. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    MOTHERF*CKERS!

29. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    All of that ^^ is why I ride a hardtail XC bike. :geek: Simplicity is good.

'Course, now J will chime in and tell me it's not simplicity until I lose the cassette, RD, and shifter. :rolleyes::x3:

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Finally....you people are learning. :thumbsup: