2021 Tour de France Debacle!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Mikie, Jun 28, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Only 35,000 feet over 2,100 miles? Pfft. I thought it was tougher than that. :rolleyes::Roflmao

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I thought the same thing... :laugh: Even the Aussie won't come close to 100 ft/mile on his extended tour with 6 times the climbing of the standard tour.

But they go really fast, so there's that...

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Hey! That’s us!

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Tour de France crash suspect arrested after manhunt: reports
    A woman who caused a massive pileup during the Tour de France on Saturday was reportedly arrested in France.
    The woman who was not immediately identified was taken into custody in Brittany, near where the Tour de France held its first four stages, Reuters reported, citing French media.
    According to Ouest-France, the woman fled the scene and was believed to have traveled to Germany. She intended to send a message for her grandparents.

BFM Television and RTL both reported, citing police sources, that the woman is in custody.
    The woman has been accused of involuntarily causing injury and faces a more than $1,700 fine, according to Cycling News.

It will be interesting to find out if more than the TdF Board sues her and not many of the victims and their sponsors as well.
    I "get" getting excited to be at the TdF, I get that it would have been "cute" if her grandparents saw her on media (I'm sure they have now!)
    I also "get" that it was an accident. The running part is almost understandable as well. The embarrassment, the fear of punitive damages, being labelled as "The One" who caused the 2021 Tour de France upset of all time. Regardless, the damage it has caused to athletes who have trained most likely a large portion of their lives for this event, and having those chances dashed by an ignorant spectator is heart wrenching.

RIGID, Faust29, Danimal and 10 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Everything you said is true, I just don't know what they can or should do to her. Unless she has plutocrat type money, she can't pay back the teams or individuals. Jail is a waste, she isn't a threat to society. And a good lawyer would say it was a public road she was on, if Le Tour didn't want people on roads they would need to fence them off. They could show how they fence off the finish areas as an example and contrast that with the climbing stages where everyone is pressing in and running alongside the riders. No winners, only losers in this whole thing :-(

Faust29, Danimal, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Absolutely agree. And there are probably people out there that would thrive on the attention, even after they make her an "example".

mtnbikej, Faust29, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Mikie, Cyclotourist and Danimal like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good deal, I hope you enjoy it! I read it about 10 years ago, and really liked it. Second half starts wandering a bit, but the first half is just great with LOL moments.

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Tour De France Drops Lawsuit Against Fan After Causing Huge Crash

6:55 AM PT -- 7/1 -- Tour de France organizers have DROPPED their complaint against the 30-year-old woman who caused the pileup ... saying the story has been "blown out of proportion."
    Race deputy director Pierre-Yves Thouault previously said the organization would sue the woman in hopes of preventing another incident ... but the honchos have since had a change of heart.
    The woman isn't fully in the clear just yet -- she could still face legal action from the riders who were forced to back out of the event due to the crash.
    The woman who allegedly caused a massive pileup during the first stage of the Tour de France has reportedly been found and arrested ... ending a 3-day search for the spectator.

This reported by TMZ... So I'm not "exactly" sure of their reliability, but it is the latest info that popped up as my curiosity continues to be drawn to find out who this lady was. One sports rider wrote an article that suggested that "The woman had suffered enough."

Have the athletes who dedicated their lives to train and compete in the TdF, and now out of the race damaged by the accident, have they suffered enough?

I can appreciate that compassion, I understand that compassion, but for some reason I am struggling with that compassion. I understand accidents, and destiny, and all is not within our control. But I look back on the years since I first discovered the Tour de France... When in fact I initially thought of it as some lame road bike race and "why would I be interested in such a thing", until a friend and mtb mentor showed me the recording of Greg LeMond winning the TdF! His life and what he overcame and the race and the odds within it he overcame, inspired me to attempt greatness in mountain bike racing.

When I see what the greatest go through, and what I thought I went through in effort to become the little I was in the racing world, it's hard for me to let go of ignorance and self promoting at the consequences of others striving for so much more.

I guess it's an internal struggle.

12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I think that she should be drawn and quartered.

Wait, is that a bit too harsh?

Danmtchl, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.