2020 Santa Cruz Megatower

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Jun 1, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    OK, I suppose it's time I attempt a review on this beast. Let's start with a photo:

Meg ar Luge Flag 2-22-20.JPG

SC Megatower CC XXL
    2020 Rock Shox Lyrik Ultimate 160mm - customized with RCT3 Charger 2
    Rock Shox Super Deluxe Ultimate Supercailifragilisticexpialidocious shock
    Shimano XT 4 piston slow-down devices
    Shimano XT 12 spd Tranny - 30t Wolftooth chainring
    Race Face Turbine Cranks 175mm
    OneUp 210mm dropper with PNW lever
    DT Swiss 350 laced to Race Face Arc Offset 30mm (recently replaced with Enve Foundation AM 30 w I-9 1:1 hubs)
    OneUp Carbon bar. 35mm rise, 800mm
    Maxxis DHR II 2.40 rear. Maxxis DHF 2.50 front
    Various pedals

I bought this as a frame 2 months after ordering a Hightower frame that never arrived. Basically the same dimensions and build but with 20mm more rear travel. This bike replaced my Pivot Firebird 29er with which I never really gelled. HUGE props to The Path who helped me get out of the Firebird and onto the Meg for a nominal sum. WAAAAAY above the call of duty!

20 rides on it so far. Most rides involve some form of moderately chunky riding. Aliso, LCWP, Joplin, Luge.

Quiet. That's the first thing I noticed when demoing these lower link, 2020 Santa Cruz bikes. Nothing rattles.

Big. I'm 6'4" with a long torso, and this is probably the first bike that actually fits me. But damn is this thing huge. Over 1300 mm wheelbase and a very tall headtube. Coming from 27.5, this thing feels really big, especially when climbing something technically demanding. I reduced my stem to a 40mm and removed some spacers under the stem. I sometimes feel like the bike is riding me it's so long. But damn it's comfortable to ride. No aches in the back or neck.

Fast. Even though it's nearly 3 lbs heavier than my Intense Tracer 275c, I climb faster and stronger on the Meg than I ever did on the Tracer - on moderate inclines. Once it gets steep, I'm still slow. Still I almost never need the granny gear, and it's fun to have two or three cogs left as I am climbing. I think it goes without saying that it's fast downhill.

Plush. Reviews said that although it has a lot of travel, it wasn't that plush or quiet on the little chatter. They must have been using Fox suspension, because with the Lyrik and the SD shock, this thing is really good on the small stuff and the big stuff. The little 6" to 1' stuff is still noticeable and not completely erased. There have been a few instances where repeated small hits on the rear had the back end hanging up just a little. Could be rebound setting though.

Nimble. Kidding! I can move around OK on it, and I get it around the switchbacks I ride most frequently, but I would say it is not surgically precise. I haven't tried it on any real switchbacks yet. It corners really well at speed with some braking bumps or chunk thrown at it.

Other than the Pivot Firebird I owned for 12 rides, this is my first 29er. This bike is far more plush than the Firebird - but that's probably entirely due to suspension - Fox DPX2 and 170 mm Fox Performance (Grip 1) fork with Luftkappe. The Rock Shox stuff slays the Fox stuff out of the box. However, even at my size, I am not convinced I like 29ers better.

Flip Chips - I have been running the bike in the high position with the shorter chainstays since I bought it. I tried the longer chainstays in the high position for three rides, and definitely didn't like it. When I ride it next, it will be with the short chainstays in the low position. Maybe that'll be the magic formula for me.

So while I do love this bike, I am not sure it loves me. I've been slammed to the ground rather rudely twice in nothing situations. I don't know why. One fall resulted in 6 broken bones and a helicopter ride on a trail I've ridden 1000 times without incidence. Maybe I just ran out of talent.

Stay tuned for more. Or don't.

2. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I saw the thread title and thought for sure it was posted in the classifieds forum. :)

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And who doesn't like pictures of bikes, so here's another:

Meg at Closed ToW.JPG

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I'm hoping the low position and some other adjustments will be the magic formula!

5. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    LOL. Same here I would not keep a bike that was consistently trying to kill me.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Stockholm syndrome?

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yep, yep, and yep! Thought a Mega was for sale.
    Carry on!
    You always do a good job of details about performance. :thumbsup:

8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    It’s hard not to try and love a new bike especially when they look that darn good. That turquoise thing I had for a while was a looker but just didn’t like me and I didn’t have the patience to figure out why. Luckily I had a backup plan in motion already.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    OP sounds like a rookie. :rolleyes:

10. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Me too :laugh::speechless:

11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I thought the same thing....for sale slightly used Megatower, only a few crashes....i mean scratches...

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    For the record - and for potential future reference, there are still no scratches on this bike. Tough paint!

tick, doublewide, shawndoh and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?