2019 Winter Solstice(ish) Blackstar Ride

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Rumpled, Dec 4, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 12-19-19
  1. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Ride Name: 2019 Winter Solstice(ish) Blackstar Ride
    When: Thursday, December 19th
    Time: 5:30 pm
    Where: Xmas Tree Farm on Blackstar Canyon Rd
    Ride Description or Details:
    Continuing in my new, old tradition of doing the solstice and equinox rides, let's ride for the winter solstice.
    As the date of the official winter solstice falls on Saturday and most of us will have other things going on Friday and Saturday, we'll do another Blackstar ride.
    On Thursday the 19th.
    Us slower folks will be starting at 5:30 (rolling, not just getting there -
    by Garmin or Verizon timekeeping) to make it to Beek's by 7:30.
    Faster people can start later or do extra credit past Beek's place.
    The goal is to meet at Beek's at 7:30 and toast the winter solstice. And perform whatever solstice or pagan rituals you feel like. (Please, no human or animal sacrifices).
    The Ursid meteor shower will also be going on, so maybe we'll see a few shooting stars. It will be before the peak, but we have a chance.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/ursids.html

Lights will be needed but we will have some moon, 47% illumination third quarter moon - if it's clear.
    https://www.moongiant.com/phase/12/18/2018

Weather will probably be cool to cold; so we won't have to worry as much about keeping the beer cold; more about keeping ourselves warm.

Any significant rain on the day or preceding days will cancel as none of use want that Blackstar clay.

?'s - Ask away.
    Invite others, let's make it a party.

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location: Xmas Tree Farm on Blackstar Canyon Rd off of Silverado Canyon Road which is off of Santiago Canyon Road.
    Skill Level: Beginner, Intermediate
    Ride Pace: Social Cruise
    Type of Ride: Out and Back
    Rider Limit: Just short of too many
    Anticipated Mileage: 18
    Elevation Gain: 2200
    Ride Duration: 3 Hours
    Previous Ride Reports: There are some, I can't find them right now.
    Possible Bail-Outs: Turn around and go back, but you'll be missing out.
    Facilities: No water on trail, except maybe the creek (eh!). The world is our restroom.
    Food/water suggestions: Most get by on a bottle of water or so. Snacks if you want. Maybe a beer or two to toast at Beek's.
    Option to Upload:

Winter-Solstice-2017.jpg

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I presently have a conflict on that day... :thumbsdown:

But you never know what will happen between now and then. :thumbsup:

3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I look forward to this ride every year. Assume I will be there unless I say otherwise!! I might even shame my biking buddy Dean into doing it... or... maybe my son(!)

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Fits into TNBS scheduling.

5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I will be there, but due to scheduling conflict (my son is flying home this PM and I want to pick him up from the airport) my buddy Dean and I are going to be leaving from the tree farm at 3:30... so we will probably be at Beek's while the rest of the group is starting out.

I will have high-fives for everyone on the way down!! If anyone wants to join us for an earlier departure, feel free! We will be traveling at a very social pace :)

Old&InTheWay and Rumpled like this.
  6. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    OK, I should be able to make it to my own event. Work has been a nightmare.
    Looks like it's gonna be chilly and windy.
    Let's try to be prepared for that.
    Plan is to roll at 5:30 to be at Beek's at 7:30

BonsaiNut likes this.
  7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Had a great ride. Started out at about 3:45 PM, and were able to ride all the way up to Beek's in late sun / twilight. Temps were warm at the bottom, but cool by the time we hit the ridge. My buddy Dean is starting to come into his own on the mountain bike - and got to Beek's 30 minutes faster than at the Fall Equinox ride :)

While we sat at Beek's and toasted the Winter Solstice, the temps started to fall dramatically, and the wind kicked up from a light breeze to a full on blast. We started down and the cold chased us the whole way. I was expecting it to warm up when we descended out of Hidden Ranch, but the temps continued to drop. When we hit the falls, they dropped into the low 40's. When we made the last turn onto the sandy gravel at the low point of the trail, my bike computer was reading 39. The coldest point was when we reached the trailhead parking area... 35.8 degrees. And this was at 7:30(!). It warmed up slightly by the time we hit the tree farm - to a "balmy" 36.4. I have no idea where the cold came from so quickly. Temps dropped about 25 degrees in four hours. I was dressed for cold weather - but not for freezing weather. Definitely had the car seat heaters on while driving home!!

Grego, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  8. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    We ended up having 6 do the ride, plus 2 when adding @BonsaiNut and Dean going earlier.
    I was really slow, just did a half marathon on Sunday. Eric called it Slowstice.
    Very cold at the cars, but warmed up once the climbing began, both from the effort and it seemed it was actually warmer. At the first cattle crossing we started getting breezes, actually warming.
    Once thru Hidden Ranch they were cold and growing in strength.
    At the ridge it was pretty much howling thru the trees and cold. I put on a dry base top, had our ritual beers and then we went down.
    Cold again back at the vehicles, that's why they have heaters.
    I'll continue my new old tradition and do this again in spring.

Tom the Bomb, Grego, mike and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?