2019 DVO Diamond Boost 29 -160mm travel

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Stkx66, Jan 30, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Dvo-Diamond-Boost-29-Fork-2019

Does anybody have feedback on the 2019 DVO Diamond 29 fork? Or 2018 equivalent? Maybe a buddy has one and likes it or it's just OK? I'm really happy with the DVO Topaz shock I recently installed on my Hightower. Small washboard bumps seem to vanish with the DVO Topaz. I don't get the "hits" and " shock " that travel through the bike to my wrists or back any more. I wonder if the DVO Diamond fork would be a good compliment to the Topaz or.. it doesn't get much better than the Fox 36 I have on it now? My Fox 36 has taken quite a beating since new and is still performing quite well.

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    160mm is a lot travel on the front of the Hightower.

Voodoo Tom, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Steve, if I was looking for supple compliance in a fork and could bear to take on a little weight, I would be looking at a coil-sprung fork. MRP Ribbon, et al. There are aftermarket coil kits for many forks as well.

I have not had the need yet, but would consider having a sus fork modded by the usual suspects, Avalanche, Push, etc. You'll spend less than a new fork and, more than likely, get to the exact performance characteristics you're seeking.

rossage, Faust29, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  4. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    I could be totally wrong here. My bike may have come with the Fox 36 150mm being purchased with 27+ wheels. I'm at work now but will go home and check.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  5. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    I have a pike ACS3 kit in my 150mm fork on my hightower. It pairs very well to the topaz I have in the back. I don't think you're going to get all that much better small bump compliance out of any air fork due to the inherent nature the relatively low air pressures front forks operate at compared to rear shocks. At these pressure/load levels, seal drag is significant and IMO the biggest decider in how these forks are reacting to small bumps.

IMO, I'd go with an ACS3 or a grip 2 damper with a vorsprung luftkappe before I would go to a different fork. Have you done a lower leg service and made sure the fork has the low friction skf dust wipers on it? Fox has a habit of shipping their forks with the negative air spring chamber full of grease and they have been cheaping out on fork seals lately.

6. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    I recently did my own oil change after watching YouTube videos. I removed the fork from the tubes. I did not remove any internals to do the oil change.

Faust29 and mike like this.
  7. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    E386BB6A-0E77-40EA-963A-5487028C930B.jpeg
    Not quite 160mm hanging off my tailgate so this is a 150mm Fork. Just to back up a little bit. My Topaz for me is an improvement over my stock Fox Shock. Maybe any brand new shock would be an improvement over 1 year old one. I'm wondering if DVO Diamond would be a good choice for a replacement. I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a great combo here.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Right, but that travel is to keep the frame geometry the same as it would be with 29er wheels at 140mm.

You may have + wheels on now, but you may wanna put 29ers on at some point, and it may kick the front end up too much.

I know mine wanders a little bit on steep climbs at 150mm.

It was just a thought.

9. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Purchased with 27 + gave you the 150 fork. Purchased with 29 wheel set came with a 140mm fork. Madness I say! It’s amazing to me how much little changes matter. For most of our local stuff I run my reserve 29 carbon rims with the 150 fork. Of course the fork doesn’t change and is the constant . - And running 29r Rims should have a 140 fork. I switch wheel combinations from 27+ to 29 frequently. It depends on the planned ride.

10. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    I got a DVO Diamond Boost 29 -130mm travel.
    Like new condition. I think that is could be converted to 160 (I'm not 100% sure).
    I used a few times on My SS hardtail.

Please send a PM if interested.

herzalot, Danmtchl, scottay and 4 others like this.
  11. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    One thing I will say that I forgot to add above... I sorta chased my tail mentally trying to get a bit better small bump compliance out of my hightower at the beginning. Because of that feeling, I replaced the rear shock first. That did have a pretty big impact on how the bike rode overall, for the positive. I replaced the stock shock very quickly, basically in under 150-200 miles or so. Also in that time frame, I received an ACS3 kit from my wife as a birthday gift... The bike with both of these was/is epic and it became the bike I wanted it to be from the factory.

Flash forward about a year, and I took the DVO topaz off that I had put on the bike to service it and put the stock shock back on. I was pretty blown away by how good the stock shock felt when I had it paired with the ACS3. To be frank, had it felt that good from the get-go I would not have upgraded it... or at least if I did, it would have been purely based on the bling factor.

What I'm getting at is that I was getting some harshness out of the front end that was translating to the back end of the bike. I miss-took this choppy feeling as the rear shock when what it was in actuality, was the see/saw effect of an overly harsh fork (stiction and low speed compression) that was overloading the back end of the bike.

Food for thought.

Derek13, Danmtchl, HBkites and 6 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    I agree with @Ebruner ... as a suspension snob, the fork makes waaaaaay more difference than the shock - as long as there IS a rear shock in good repair, set up properly for your weight and riding style. In fact, I have heard that some people go with out a rear shock entirely. :eek: I think those people be crazy.

Oh, and if I haven't said so already, my DVO Diamond (27.5 circa 2016) is on par with my 2018 Fox 36 Factory Fit 4.

Stkx66, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Going uphill on tech, the shock performance is more important than the fork. It will literally make or break at your limit.

14. Derek13

Derek13 Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower and Chameleon
    Erik, can you talk to my wife in the next couple weeks? November 5th birthday and my fork is need of upgrade. Really looking at the ACS3 kit for sure. Hit me up and I'll give you her contact info... ;) Thanks

herzalot, mike, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?