2017 SLX brake caliper question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ricekrispyota, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    2 questions:

Does anyone know the size of the banjo bolt o-ring on this caliper?

Will any mineral oil work on shimano brakes or do I need the shimano mineral oil?

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Mineral oil is mineral oil... but I bought the BIG bottle of Shimano to get the best bang for the buck.

The O-Ring, I have no idea Sir.

3. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    If your talking the SLX M7000, it takes the larger banjo bolt. http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-BH90-SB-Brake-Hose-Banjo-Bolt

br199c01.jpg

[​IMG]

Correct me if you can, only two banjo bolts available from Shimano. Long version (posted above) fits banjo mounts on the left of the caliper going through to both halves of the caliper body. The short version mounts on the right side top of the caliper. Which you find on Zee and Saint calipers.

If you don't want that big bottle of Shimano mineral oil, is probably Finish Line. I have Finish Line in both my Shimano/SRAM (mineral/dot5.1). Only reason I got it was due to fact how often are you going to bleed Shimano brakes. That big bottle of Shimano fluid will last you 10 years worth of bleeding.

Danmtchl, Ricekrispyota and rossage like this.
  4. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Just my opinion, but I think I'd get the genuine shimano orings, I sure wouldn't want one to fail on a fast downhill. http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-BH90-SB-Brake-Hose-Banjo-Bolt (includes o-rings). I saw some individual o-rings on Amazon or maybe e-bay that say they are for BH90. No specs given on the size.

Agree with Mikie, I'd just get the Shimano oil. Probably could use other stuff but why risk it for a few bucks. What if the non-shimano stuff has something in it that rubber o-rings don't like... I bought a quart ~4 years ago and still have over half left.

Danmtchl, Ricekrispyota and rossage like this.
  5. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    Yeah, I think that’s my best option. I’ll get the big bottle of shimano, and the new banjo bolt (the o-rings by themself at $1.90 a piece, but jenson is out of stock. I’m gonna get a new caliper also in case that’s the issue.

Weirdest ride ever today. I was peddling and had great stopping power in the rear. I thought to myself “do I need new brakes”, cuz I’ve been having a weird feeling in the brakes where they just fade really quick, but that doesn’t happen consistently. In the next corner, my lever went straight to the bar and didn’t stop anything.

I looked at my caliper and there was oil on the outside. Got home and obviously no fluid in the lever. Pulled the pads and they were bone dry as was the inside of the caliper. As I put the bike on the stand all of the mineral oil poured out into the floor from the skid plate I have under the bottom bracket. It had filled the chain stay and looked there.

I hope it’s the o-rings, but if it’s the caliper, at least I’ll have a new one so I can ride Sunday.

Danmtchl likes this.