2016 - Night Ride Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ebruner, Nov 7, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Hey folks... I wanted to get a thread going to discuss weekly night riding groups. I've been fortunate to be able to get rides in after work lately and I want that trend to continue so my employer doesn't forget that this is a thing I do. My wife isn't stoked about the idea of me riding alone with lights, so I'm looking for a regular night ride group.

I considered starting a thread in the trailhead forum... I also figured it was pointless to try and champion my own night rides if there were already existing regular ones. So... anyone have anything going or feel like starting something up?

Info: I enjoy long walks on the beach, social and hammertime rides. I also like beer, bicycles and other things that I'm sure no one finds interesting. :p

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I know @Faust29 has been putting out almost weekly Maple/Motorway and Blackstar/Motorway rides.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Ebruner
    Way to jump on it Man.
    I like beer and beach time as well! Oh and bikes are cool too!
    This may be the year I actually start riding my bike with lights. I have not had lights on my bike since the 90's. But I think I'm looking at this as a new adventure.
    Thanks for throwing it out there.
    If anyone wants to put together an ongoing weekly ride like @Faust29 has been doing, I'll make sure it gets on the calendar on a weekly basis.

Ebruner, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    @Ebruner, what kind of tires are you running? If you are sporting some knobbies, how about some Itchy-Scratchy to Webb Canyon lunacy? I know @Tom the Bomb is up for it.

We are in La Verne and Alta Loma. Where are you located @Ebruner?

Ebruner and Mikie like this.
  5. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    I'm located in orange county. I ride on both ends of the spectrum... I've got an enduro rig and a 29r carbon hard tail. I tend to chose the bike based on the company I'm riding with... (do i need to keep up going uphill or down? type of thing). I've never ridden Webb canyon but I would be down to give it a try. Getting out there in a reasonable time might be difficult for me with traffic. What time do you guys usually go wheels up?

strava profile cause, why not - https://www.strava.com/athletes/2542165

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We recently started doing Black Star as an out and back at night, and then expanded it to Maple Springs- Motorway, and Black Star- Motorway when it reopened. Anything up in the mountains is nice at night... Cool temps and good views. I was actually just debating about throwing one out for tomorrow or Wednesday. We've been starting anywhere between 5:00 and 6:00. With the time change, that puts the entire ride in the dark...

7. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    You got company along your entire spectrum here. Bring the Enduro for Itchy-Scratchy and the carbon fiber for the Santa Anas, unless you find yourself with @mike....then you'll want the Enduro for sure.

Itchy-Scratchy to Webb usually starts between 6:30 and 6:45 p.m. on Wednesday nights. We meet at La Puerta Sports Park in Claremont: 3100-3138 N Indian Hill Blvd. By appointment only, however, because none of us tend to do this ride solo at night.

Mikie, Cisco Roots, Ebruner and 2 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I ride the hardtail everywhere... But I think the majority of riders here would be happier with some suspension on Motorway. I probably would, too, but I don't want to pedal the full suspension up there. I'm way too lazy for that. :whistling:

9. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    I follow you on strava Steve. I'm pretty sure you're on a totally different planet then I am in terms of fitness. I'd love a tour through that area as i've never ridden either. I'd be down for a wednesday ride if you wouldn't mind showing me the ropes. I have no problem getting dropped as long as I've been on the trail before. On the first ride I wouldn't mind a tour guide.

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Gotta watch out for him. He puts out these hammerfests and says keep up or your on yer own. He's not very good at leaving bread crumbs along the trail to find your way. :cautious: ;) o_O

11. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Hey @Ebruner , I ride every monday night at Bonelli Park starting at 7pm. Details are here:
    Bonelli Park Monday Night Rides.

I used to have this up on the calendar but noone ever came out except @BeckTrex, which was awesome! I'm still riding there every Monday, tonight even. Bonelli has everything and I pretty much know every single trail in the park now so whatever style of riding you're into could be had.....

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I'd love to join you on one of these....but Monday's are not ride days. :cry:

Cisco Roots and Mikie like this.
  13. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Last time I'll mention Conservancy or you'll think I'm a shill, but they have night rides (especially around full moon) in Limestone, maybe other places. Big problem for most of you is that I might be there and they have a no drop policy although one can proceed at his own rate, but then needs to wait for the group.

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @fos'l
    Hey Bob, you just got AVATAR'ed...:whistling:

fos'l and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. Cisco Roots

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Right On! Well if ya ever feel like it let me know! I'm gonna try and make it down your way soon too, once soccer season is up....

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  16. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    The AMTR group on Meetup does Wednesday and Thursday night rides at Fullerton Loop, I see the Fullerton Bike Co guys out there doing cross practice, and the scattered remnants of STR still do 6:30ish FLoop rides on Thursday nights. The Path has scheduled night rides around mid and south OC.

I've wanted to do a B* night ride for years, but I want to ride it in the day first.

Torrent77, Grego, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    It's better at night when you can't see the top.

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'd be up for anything on Wednesday night... Either a Black Star out and back, or a Maple Springs out and back. Those are both tame fire roads if someone wants to get a ride in. I'd also be up for one of the bigger loops...

Mikie likes this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    One time... I got a little nervous with you and the unnamed lurker behind me. Thought I needed to go faster! :p

20. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    I'm going to test my lights tonight. I haven't fired up the batteries or lights in about 6 months so I need to make sure I have the batteries to last an epic. I am for sure down for doing at a minimum blackstar on wednesday this week. I know I can get my lights to last at least that long.

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Did you see @mtnbikej 's post in the trailhead forum? I missed it earlier... Black Star to Motorway... Wednesday night. If you're not up to the whole enchilada, I'd be up for part of that if you want company.

Edit: Nevermind... You saw it. :thumbsup:

22. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    I have my lights setup. I am in my second week at work and I will be trying to ride next weekend. After lurking on the threads, I think I will have some work ahead of me to get into IMTB shape. I will be starting the night shift next Tuesday, so I should be up for some night rides on my days off.

Faust29, mike, jaime and 1 other person like this.
  23. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    There are some jackrabbits here, no doubt; but some of us are fat and slow.

wheezy, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  24. Cisco Roots

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Night riding is FUN!

IMG_3026.JPG

BigTex, H2oChick, doublewide and 11 others like this.
  25. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    FB_IMG_1478734132627.jpg I love night riding, it make the trail new again

wheezy, H2oChick, Cisco Roots and 7 others like this.
  26. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Bastanch Tunnel.jpg
    Floopers might recognize this one.

27. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    It isn't really an epic unless your batteries go dead on the ride!

Cisco Roots, mike, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  28. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    That's called the Monkey Piss sandwich. You put whoever still has juice in front and back and place the rider(s) with dead batteries in the middle like bologna.

29. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    space mountain.jpg

30. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    View from the Doppler

IMG_3348.JPG

mtnbikej, BeckTrex, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?