2 week recheck

Discussion in 'Health' started by blixet, Nov 12, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    2 weeks ago exactly I saw an urologist on an urgent basis for a serious problem with acute urinary retention. Cliff notes version - have BPH and have had prostatitis causing similar symptoms in the past. For whatever reason, couldn't really feel it, but my bladder had retained 6x the normal full amount. He immediately put in a catheter and drained 3 liters. It had backed up into my kidneys and I was beginning kidney failure. After that, I went straight to the ER for blood, urine and CAT scans. Hemorrhaged into the cath bag all night and the next 2 days. Lovely.

Today he pinched his fingers together and said that I was that close to ... well he didn't say what, but we both understood it to mean lights out, party's over. Anyway, seems my kidneys have recovered although I still need an ultrasound on the right one to see if the swelling and obstruction has resolved. That's next week. But today he did a pee test where they pump in enough water through the catheter to fill the bladder and then yank out the catheter to see if I could pee on my own. No luck, not even a leaky faucet drip like the days leading up to this mess.

Back in goes the cath with the bag strapped to my thigh for another 3 weeks. He feels the bladder still needs time to heal and recover from the trauma. Not even addressing the prostate yet until I find out if I will be able to pee on my own. He seems optimistic, me not so much. 2 weeks with this thing and I was on my absolute last nerve. Now 3 more. Maybe the lack of sleep will put me into an altered state (rather than just my cranky state) and I'll come back to reality on the day of my next appt. Right now an induced coma doesn't sound bad.

Walleye, Lost Kiwi, herzalot and 16 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Ah man, sorry to read this Tom. Thanks for sharing here with the online family.
    Hope it gets under control soon, and keep sharing the progress!

Danimal, Mikie, blixet and 2 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sorry to hear this and sorry to ask if you already posted it, but what are/were your symptoms that led you to getting checked out?

Danimal, Mikie, blixet and 1 other person like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thanks for sharing that… I imagine it was hard to put the words down. If the Doc is optimistic, there's a reason. Hang in there.

herzalot, Danimal, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Dang. Father Time comes for us all. Fortunately you caught it in time, and if your doctor is optimistic, so am I. It sounds trite to say "healing vibes you way" but I mean it.

Perhaps the solution is more beer? It certainly helps ME to urinate :) Make sure you are recording your doctor's response when you ask him :) Prepare to say "kidney schmidney" :)

6. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Weak stream decreased to dribble slowing to drop by drop as the prostate did its best anaconda on my urethra.

herzalot, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Who came up with that particular organ?

Mikie and blixet like this.
  8. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Hope it helps dissolve the multiple kidney stones that CAT scan turned up in my left kidney. 8mm - single aught buck shot. No pinche grains of sand for me. :(

Walleye, herzalot, ~JB~ and 2 others like this.
  9. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Satan. o_O

10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Raises interesting images of you in triumph firing kidney stone buckshot at a target at Raahauge's firing range :) Make sure you save them for the range!

blix.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Awww Tom,
    This is heart breaking. Man, I so hope they resolve this so you can get back on a normal life schedule! Keeping @blixet in dah prayers, bud!

12. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I agree. But you can drive long distance now since you will not need to pee. I see Vegas in the future

Mikie and blixet like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Tom, hang in there. Thanks for the share. Pulling for a good outcome. They'll get you figured out. Stay tough in the interim. You're lucky to be posting, pal.

I had UTI this summer and some leaking protein, so urinary health has been top of mind. They call em vital organs for a reason.

14. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Quite a description of the procedure blixet! I guess we can really be open on this site, appreciate you're sharing and looking forward to more progress.

Mikie, Walleye, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Nowhere near as serious as yours, but all the same parts were involved. Mine was about 10 years ago… And occurred several times. It’s the reason I ride the ISM saddle, which was on the doc’s advice.

He didn’t say ISM specifically, but he was an avid roadie, and gave me a list of saddles which would not put pressure anywhere near that region.

Mikie, Obsidian, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  16. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I hope to discuss this at some point. But right now he doesn't care about the prostate until we see how effed up my bladder is. Stretched, thickened, probably scarred and possibly permanently disfunctional (worst case). This is what is giving me the dark uglies laying awake at night.

Anyway, one day at a time until I know more. At this point, I think I'd rather crawl back into "some dark hollow, where the sun don't ever shine than to be in some big city, in a small room, with [a mountain bike] on my mind."

I really appreciate all the support and encouragement everyone has expressed. Fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

Mikie, BonsaiNut, Stkx66 and 12 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yikes @blixet - that was one of the hardest posts to "like" in a long time. Words fail me, and there's no jokes or smartass comments here to be made. I will add you to the top of the list of prayers, thoughts, karma, kismet, positive vibrations, healing rays, mojo - and whatever other life forces I can think of. Hoping for a speedy and COMPLETE recovery.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  18. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Dang Blixet, that rough, hope everything works out and you get back to normal soon, and not an ongoing condition. Hang in there! ive been worrying about this lately since i turned 50.
    Been thinking of getting one of those ( https://ismseat.com/performance-mountain/pm-2-0/ ) as my Koobi Enduro (which also has a relief channel, not as pronounced as the ISM) is getting pretty old. But saw this just now, Koobi Enduro 2.0!
    https://www.koobi.com/road-mountain-saddles/au-enduro. Looks similar but not as padded, shorter then the original with a much bigger relief channel.

Mikie, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  19. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Had the next void test and again was unable to squeeze out a drop. As time goes by, the "maybe it will get better" proposition seems less likely. Search atonic bladder if you are interested in what to avoid if at all possible. Bright side, ditched the foley cath and piss bag giving me freedom to get back on the bike. But now it is CIC (more homework if you are interested in extra credit). Truth be told, in vino veritas, between us compadres, I am struggling with this mightily. But, things change and that's a fact.

Mikie, CBone, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I was thinking about you and hoping your absence here was indicative of progress, Tom. It seems like you are good at finding positivity through these trials. I don’t mean to understate the seriousness of your position. I appreciate your updates and wish you strength in working through this.

Mikie, herzalot, blixet and 1 other person like this.
  21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    With my eyesight not what it used to be, I did a Google search on "atomic bladder".

There is such a thing... among atomic-bomb survivors. You don't want to know.

Hard to joke even lightly about these things, but all I can do is send you a smile over the Internet and hope for good news soon.

Mikie, scan and blixet like this.
  22. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I looked at the ISM that Steve mentioned, although I am not sure which exact model it is, and the Enduro 2.0 you have linked and decided to give the Koobi a try. After riding the past 3 days, I've been paying a lot of attention to the nether regions and contact/biomechanics of the 2 saddles I currently use (WTB Volt and Ergon SM pro) and think the Koobi might be a good option. My prostate is enraged currently and while it may just be getting used to self-cathing I'd like to eliminate or at least lessen what the bikes might be adding to the mix. I don't know if you got one yet or not but I will report back after I get mine and have a few rides under my, ehem, belt.

23. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    havent ordered anything yrt still riding my old koobi enduro 1.0. let me know what u think of the 2.0, and good luck with your issue i hope it resolves!

blixet, mike and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?