1st time riding in SoCal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Broc Bartylla, Feb 26, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Broc Bartylla

Broc Bartylla Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Broc
    Current Bike:
    Trek Super Fly
    Myself and two other riders will be vacationing in Lake Elsinore from Minnesota next month. We are intermediate to advanced riders and like flow trails/scenic trails the most. We are unfamiliar with the area and would appreciate trail suggestions nearby Lake Elsinore (we want to avoid driving further than 1 hr).

Also we will not be flying are bikes down. Is there anywhere to rent?

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Broc!
    Welcome to imtbtrails, brothah.
    These guys make fun of me cuz I live at the bottom of California’s Central Valley, quite a bit North of Orange County, so they consider me in Canada. :rolleyes:

There is a bunch of really good imtbtrails doods down near Lake Elsinore. I have ridden down there often. Near there is one of my favorites known as San Juan. It has some extra credit in there I have down several times.

Enjoy California bud!

Would love to see you stick around and let us know how it went as well as post up some rides with pics when you actually see dirt again in Minnesota.

Mike
    from Frazier Park

3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    South of Lake Elsinore in Murrieta is Greer Ranch, aka The Nursery, aka Enduro 215. A little further North on Interstate 215 is Sycamore Canyon right behind JensonUSA. San Juan which was mentioned above is West of Elsinore on Ortega Hwy. To the East, you have The Hub trails in Idyllwild, Simpson Park in Hemet and then Palm Canyon Epic (a 25+ mile shuttle ride) out in Palm Springs.

I'm sure you'll Google all those spots in your research. My personal favorite out of all those is Greer Ranch by far. You just might run into Aaron Gwin out there as well.

4. Broc Bartylla

Broc Bartylla Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Broc
    Current Bike:
    Trek Super Fly
    Thanks for the reply! Where is the best spot to start at San Juan? Or where is the trailhead? Google gives a few different locations

5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  6. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    The Blue Jay (upper) trail head for San Juan Trail is going to be much closer to Elsinore than the lower trailhead (that's in Orange County). Blue Jay starts high so you'll have to pedal back up to it at the end. A loop we like is from Blue Jay, take Old San Juan to Cocktail Rock, continue around the lollipop to Viejo Tie trail (more difficult), which ends at Chiquito trail. From there a left will go back to the trailhead. Or a right will take you down to Chiquito falls then a great tech downhill to the Candy Store on Ortega Hwy.

~JB~, -ROCKY-, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  7. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    All the trails I mention are on Trailforks and MTB Project—no big secrets. No telling what condition the rains left us in though, folks are just now getting out to survey the damage, so stay tuned. But in general these are good bets.

San Juan is always a good option, start at the bottom, ride to Cocktail Rock, and decide if you have the gumption to keep going. San Juan is National Forest, is open the same hours as 7-11, and dries out after rains better than most. On a clear day you’re looking at an island that’s 50 miles offshore.

At the edge of your 1hr limit, the Laguna/Crystal Cove/Aliso Woods complex makes for a good beach day. You asked for flow, so ride Meadows. Mentally Sensitive is a little sportier but I dig it. Lizards is way on the opposite end of the San Joaquin Hills but it’s fun and intermediate friendly. There are infinite combinations here, and the views you asked for too. Tacos at La Sirena are a little bland for my taste but it’s a good place to aim for, and if you find something else on your ride there, go for it. This area closes for extended periods after rain. County and State parks are more tightly regulated, this is a major outdoor destination in a county with 4 million people-expect company.

Demo bikes are $80 and up at the Path, Bike Co, and other places nowhere near Elsinore.

-ROCKY-, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yo, Broc, keep an eye out for rides posted here that you could join up with. Not necessarily “group” rides, but organized, posted rides.

The San Juan area is weak on signage and there are a few trail splits and options, but of course do-able with some navigational tools.

If I was in the area I would host a SJ ride; maybe one of the IMTBros could run you guys through it so you can later do your circuits in the area with some bearings. I suspect you’ll be riding the area numerously.

Nobody wants to drive a bunch on their vacation, but you guys would be blowing it to not get one run through Palm Canyon near Palm Springs. “Palm Canyon Epic” is around 36 mi of ST through that area. Knowledge of this area among riders here is good. Commercial shuttles are available, but two cars works well. The season there will be winding down next month.

Enjoy your time in SoCal. Lake E. Is a a bit of a mess with fish kill and phoscheck/debris runoff from the Holy Fire, but there are lots of local-ish riding options to keep you entertained. It’s car culture there, so don’t be shy about joining in for a little road admission to the best spots, get your dollar’s worth outa that rental.

Cheers, rubber down.

Sasquatch9billion, tick, ~JB~ and 6 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This ^^^^
    The closest trails to Elsinore that I am aware of are Gwin and Intense Bicycles super secret DH shuttle trails on private land. Probably not what you are looking for, and not real friendly to visitors. The Santa Rosa Plateau system is among the easier trails in the area. Fun little singletracks with no huge climbs or techy descents. Greer Ranch gets more interesting. It's a bike park with no lifts. There are dedicated climbing trails and named descents with manmade tech, berms, jumps and other fun stuff. It's technically not on open park land so it's not supposed to be widely talked about, so I'm not talking about it and it doesn't exist. But if it did, it would be off the 215 in Murrieta, towards Temecula.

San Juan trail is easily accessible from Elsinore, but as mentioned above, the upper trail network can get a little confusing, and folks have gotten seriously lost in the area. Either go with someone who knows it, or study and bring navigation. Same for Palm Canyon Epic. Well worth your effort.

I'll ping my nephew who lives in Murrieta for bike shop recommendation. Maybe just go to the Intense HQ in Temecula and ask to demo a couple of bikes. Tell them you have been drooling over an Intense for years and flew out from MN just to get a first-hand glimpse. :sneaky: ;)

Oh - and keep your eyes peeled for rattlesnakes. They are plentiful when the springtime sun starts a shining! (April, May) If you encounter one stretched out across the trail, stop a safe distance from the critter and stomp your feet and bounce your bike. Mr. Snake will sense the vibration and leisurely retreat to the bushes within a minute or so. Throwing stuff at it won't work. Bunny hopping it works for the first rider...

Faust29, MrGreedom, mike and 6 others like this.
  10. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    Local bike shops:
    Alan's Bike shop (Murrieta) 951 677-7333, Menifee Bike Shop (Menifee) 951 672-1637, Havoc Bike co (Murrieta) 951 698-0207, Stage 2 Cycler (Murrieta) 951 304-1212, Jax Bicycle Center (Murrieta) 951 239-8239, Bicycle Warehouse (Murrieta) 951 587-4110, The Bike Shop (Temecula) 951 303-9477. There are two bike brands that call the area home, Turner Bikes (Murrieta) 951 677-1711 and Intense Cycle (Temecula) 951 296-9596. Give the brands a call they might have some demos. There are some other smaller local trails if you are looking for a quick ride just pm me and we can meet up for a ride (but I'm slow.. been hibernating lately). Sorry no spare ride here on a loner myself waiting on my new frame(cat out of the bag).

MolarM, MrGreedom, tick and 11 others like this.
  11. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    go to Intense HQ like @herzalot mentioned, grab some demos and head to Greer Ranch. Easiest and closest bikes and trails. Both are quality and likely wont leave you wanting more. Unless you are an XC climbing type the go to SanJuan Trail. If you like flow and jumpy jumping go to Greer.

tick, herzalot, MrGreedom and 9 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

He has the bike in his profile listed as a Trek SuperFly which tells me XC guy.

-ROCKY-, DangerDirtyD, mike and 5 others like this.
  13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Isn't everyone an XC climbing type?

-ROCKY-, Fueledbyex8, mike and 5 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

They should be.....group rides would be sooooo much better. :laugh:

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This is just a Rockin’ brother taking care of an out of state brother response!
    Way to go @~JB~ !

-ROCKY-, ~JB~, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  16. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    In Minnesota, birthplace of the rigid fat bike, that Superfly might be considered a rowdy enduro bike—my buddy moved to Illinois and his 5” trail bike was laughed at for being over the top for the local rail trails.

-ROCKY-, ~JB~, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  17. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I must say everyone here stepped up and gave great replies. Kudos iMtbBros!

( except me, i didn't say squat) :p

-ROCKY-, ~JB~, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    True

19. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    @Broc Bartylla Finally found these maps of the San Juan trail area. If you want a guide during the week I could join, but I'm no XC climbing type.

San Juan Trail1_Overview-v2.jpg

San Juan Trail2_Detail.jpg

20. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Budget friendly answer: Contact YT bikes about a demo. Their US hq is next to the San Clemente trail network. The easy logistics and price make up for what this area lacks in epicness. Goodish ocean views, smooth but short single track loops, next to a Marine base and a nuclear power plant.

-ROCKY-, ~JB~, mike and 1 other person like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    My nephew - whose teenage kids compete for Murrieta Valley HS MtB team - recommends Alan's Bikes in Murrieta and The Bike Shop in Temecula.

-ROCKY-, ~JB~, mike and 2 others like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Perfect simple maps :thumbsup:

Very few signs out there for some reason. Builds self sufficiency?... :unsure:

23. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Make sure you get out there before the rain, this weekend. Enjoy your stay.

24. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    For more XC trails they can hit Vail Lake in Temecula and that place has great views.. $5 or $10 per day use.. There are some jump lines so be prepared.. but might need a tour guide. Racing this weekend..

25. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Sycamore Cyn in Riverside is rideable under any weather potential in Southern CA.
    Unnamed Road, Riverside, CA 92507
    https://goo.gl/maps/RYKNG7yM66B2

San Juan likewise, in particular from the Lazy W to Cocktail Rock,
    Dropped pin
    Near Bottom of San Juan Trail, San Juan Trail, Lake Elsinore, CA 92530
    https://goo.gl/maps/MZnVqWVWNL72
    tho the rains may be more severe in the Santa Ana Mountains than in Riverside.

26. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Lots of good responses.
    My two cents-
    -Many SoCal trails are kinda steep, and not necessarily flowy - most of the flat stuff having homes built on it.
    -All the recent rains have left a lot of the trails in questionable condition. Caveat emptor.
    https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/...beautiful-after-orange-countys-massive-rains/

-Sycamore in Riverside is a good suggestion. Decomposed granite that hold up to rain well, and there is some flow to be had.
    -Chino Hill State Park is also near Elsinore, and can be flowy - although it’s mostly fireroads. It has great vistas and will have some rain boosted flower blooms. It is not good for a while during and after rain. Slick peanut butter.
    chinohillssp6.jpg

27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Broc, are you coming back?

-ROCKY- and UPSed like this.
  28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That was my thought as I have scrolled through this thread.

-ROCKY- likes this.
  29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    He'll be here in March. Who knows after that?

UPSed and -ROCKY- like this.
  30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Or will he?

tick, Runs with Scissors and -ROCKY- like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?