12 Hours of Temecula

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    I am really bummed... I typed up a long ride report this morning. For some reason, I was logged out. When I went to preview the post, it had me log back in, and it's all gone. Argh.

My wife and I arrived a little after 7:00, and immediately liked the vibe. Parking was not strictly controlled, and it was a "find what you can" atmosphere. We managed to create a spot about 50 feet from pit row. We unpacked and set up our gear. Most of the groups had easy-ups, but there were a few other hearty souls with coolers and chairs. Looking around, I spotted a familiar looking SS Santa Cruz two spots down. It was nice to see a familiar face.

Registration was pretty easy. Sign the waiver, and promise not to sue! The number plates were yellow for the 12 hour racers, and blue for the 6 hour people. The kind lady behind the table also handed me a bright yellow “Solo” tag for the back of the bike. I would not understand how important this little guy was until a lap or two into the race.

The pre-ride information session was also pretty straightforward… “don’t cheat, enter and exit the course at the same spot, be nice to your fellow man, let us know if anyone goes over the cliff, and each lap is 8.63 miles and 1,161 feet of gain.” This was capped off with a live rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. I thought Jimi Hendrix had been resurrected for a minute… It was cool, and it was the vibe for the day! As I finished my laps, I heard everything from The Doors to Led Zeppelin to Lynyrd Skynyrd. My kind of playlist! And there was a local coffee roaster with free coffee. I sampled several. :)

I lined up at the back of the pack for the parade lap. The parade lap was actually just a tour of the campgrounds led by the tournament director on his ATV. It was probably a mile or so, before we headed out onto the course.

I had watched video of race #1, which showed a scenic lake in the background, and was almost all fire-road. I had prepared myself for 9 miles of fireroad climbing, and the mental gymnastics that go along with that. Race #2, however, was mostly on wide single track, and had everything from rocky climbs, and descents to roots, rocks, sand, narrow ledges, flowy downhills, and cholla-like climbs. I never saw the lake- not even when we drove around the campground while exiting the park. The course was actually quite a bit of fun. :)

Lap #1 went pretty well, and the only spot I needed to walk was the “cholla-like” climb up to the ridge. It was a steady stream of walkers from bottom to top, and then along the ridge! The nice thing about the walkers was that they outlined the trail perfectly, and I could tell it was a perfect zig zag. A little smoother than Cholla, but it reminded me of it… There were small rocky downhills on lap 1 that people walked, or stopped to survey first. I didn’t walk any, but I was extra cautious- looking for the lines to use later in the day. The downhill from the ridge was a lot of fun- flowy and fast. :)

As I rolled into the pits after lap 1, my Garmin said 9.5 MPH average. A little quicker than I wanted, and this may be what contributed to the horror of lap 5. My wife was gone. Huh. I knew that she would bail on me at some point. The allure of the Pechanga spa was too much. I thought I would get at least one lap of support, however. Oh well… refuel and head out for #2.

Lap 2 went very well. I had seen the lines in lap 1, and I made it through the downs a lot better, and also cleared all of the climbs no problem. As I pulled into the pit, my Garmin still said 9.5. So much for slowing down the pace. The second thing I noticed was our new easy-up. My wife had bailed on me after lap 1 to go buy it. Another hearty soul had helped her put it up while I was on the course, and we sub-let him the back corner for his pit area. We even gave him chair privileges. :) Lap 2 is also when the significance of the "Solo" tag started to sink in. I thought that everyone on the race was way too polite. They all said, "Good job, Solo" as they whizzed by, and they always asked to pass. It was surreal. Then it dawned on me that the bright yellow "solo" was the mountain bike equivalent of the orange triangle on the back of farm equipment. I was the tractor holding up traffic! 6 hour team = Ferraris, and 12 hour solo = John Deere.

Laps 3 and 4 were pretty easy… On lap 3, I was on the second half of the course, when I heard “Faust29??” loudly from behind. “I’m Fijirob!” That was pretty cool to see another forum member out there. We’d probably be easier to spot with Jerseys. And then I wouldn’t have to wear the pink one that my wife bought for me. Jason passed me on lap 4, and he still looked really strong at that point. Lap 4 was the last lap that I cleared all of the climbs…

Lap 5 was the hottest lap of the day. I think the Garmin hit 91 degrees. The leg cramps struck about 1/2 way through the lap, and I emptied the two large bottles I was carrying with 2 miles to go to the pit area. I limped in with a high cadence, and took a lengthy break with lots of extra liquids and food. I don't usually get cramps, so this was frustrating...

Lap 6 went better than lap 5, and I avoided the hard cramps, but had some of the "pre-cramps" in both legs. I was pretty much done climbing for the day. I made it through the short climbs ok, but the longer climbs were “nice walks” at this point. My saintly wife brought me a double-double, and after a nice long break and a Dr. Pepper, I headed out for lap 7.

I actually felt pretty good on lap 7… The twinges in the legs were manageable, and I thought maybe I'd go for #8. Then I started hearing voices. I could swear that I heard someone ask to pass on the single track after the 1/2 way point. When I turned around to look, I was alone. This happened twice. Yep… Time to pull the plug, and call it a day.

This is a rough draft video, and it's still long. If you want to see the course, take a look... This was filmed on lap 7, so everything seems to be in slow motion, especially if there is any pedaling involved. I really should have filmed lap 3 or 4. Remember- This is the lap I started hearing voices. :crazy:

@Runs with Scissors: I thought of you at the 4 minute mark. It was on the edge.

A few pictures from the day: There were photographers throughout the day. I can't wait to see some of those shots...

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

IMG_4523.jpg

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  2. shawndoh

shawndoh Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Man I hate when that happens. Kudos for taking the time to retype. Nice job out there.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Steve,

Glad you came out and got to experience the 12hr.

Nice going. Good job on the video.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Holy crap, Steve - i wouldn't want to hit that (at 4:00 minute mark) fatigued. I'd probably hear voices too. Great RR, pics & vid.

Faust29 likes this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Alright....I'll throw my RR in here.

I did this race in January and had a lot of fun, and felt good for most of the day. Met my goals, and said I wouldn't do it again.

Well, here I am again, 5:30 Saturday morning loading the truck heading out to Vail Lake for Round 2. Got out there about 6:45 and scoped out our spot....which was about the same spot as before. Got the pit set up, went through my race directions with my pit crew. Chatted with Faust for a few minutes then kinda just hung out til the start.

Got over to the start of the race a bit late...so I was at the back...which just seemed to pushed farther back once we took off on the parade lap. No problem...it is a marathon, and not a sprint. Plus I couldn't spin that fast on the flats anyway.

Starting the 1st climb following the large conga line, a couple of riders in front of me stopped, so I stopped, couldn't get out of my pedal and fell over.... :twisted: 5 minutes into the race and I am already bleeding...WTF and twisted my saddle. Got back on continued to in the conga line. Once again when we reached the switchback bridges climb...it was HAB time. Fortunately, later in the race it would be more open and ridable. Been down the DH's out there enough, pretty much had them dialed in...really really fun. Finished the lap and pulled into the pit. Loosened up my pedals and headed off.

About 1 minute later I noticed my left foot was at a funky angle on the pedal....and I still couldn't clip out. Finally broke it loose and saw that the cleat bolts were loose and the cleat had shifted. Took a minute or so to fix it head off again. About 1/2 through this lap, it was apparent that I just didn't have my best game today. Thought to myself, I am just not warmed up yet, so it should get better. Was still fighting pedal issues through lap 2 and 3. Not to mention, something I ate was not agreeing with my insides....had a bit of nausaeus feeling.

When I came in after lap 3 my pit crew said that Steve was a little ways ahead of me. Turns out it would be about 3/4 of the lap before I caught him. A

Cramps kicked in about lap 4 or 5. Big problem with riding SS....when you cramp up, you can't just shift up and spin it out. Continued to push on.

Really struggle through lap 6. However, I was 6 laps in at 5hrs. So I figured I still had plenty of time to get in another 6 laps.

Out on Lap 7 most of the 6hr racers were done and the course was pretty wide open. Cramps were getting worse. In addition, the breeze turned into a good wind, which seemed like it was a headwind in every direction. Took a break following Lap 7.

Onto Lap 8....this is were the race went south. I found myself walking a lot....anything that wasn't flat or DH, I couldn't pedal up. On the DH's I began having issues processing what I was seeing...kind felt like I was going lightspeed, and everything was just a blur...this was a first for me. Never crashed, but wasn't comfortable with how I was feeling. Finished the lap and took a break in the pit. At this point, I chose to call it. There was no way that I was gonna be able to will my way for another 5 hrs. Normally I am just too stubborn to quit. Not the results I was looking for.

I was pretty disappointed. I know I am much more capable than that. I had done 10 Laps in Round 1, on a longer course, so I set a lap goal of 12 for this one....only got 2/3rd's the way there.

All in all, not my best day on the bike. Most of the riders out on course were friendly and supportive...and being a 12hr Solo SS rider, the other riders seem to be a bit more supportive. Well run event, and we started on time this time.

Not so sure about Round 3 in November.

Still ended up with 70 miles and 8800'

Faust29 likes this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Holy cow! You had it rough... I couldn't tell when you lapped me. I'm going to blame it on the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnbikej likes this.
  7. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    You guys are my heroes mntbikej and faust29 !!! I'm going to sing up for the next one and try to get a couple friemds in to it. now that I know what it this about maybe 6hrs and get a pit and stuff like I saw this race, it was really fun, even though it was only a lap I get the idea of what to do and not to do in a 6hrs ... thanks for letting us know this event existed mtnbikej !!! Btw faust29 you got me in the pic !! I'm like getting my phone from my pocket, my rear tire is like touching the red grip on the bike behind me, wearing all black ! [emoji16]

uploadfromtaptalk1433718731103.png

Faust29 likes this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    I'm making an IMTB tag for the bike next time. We need to spot each other!

9. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    yep or next time say at least what kind of jersey or clothes are we wearing, and that way we can say hi at least you know... [emoji41]
    here is when an Imtb tshirt comes in handy [emoji112] Hello mikie !

10. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    I've rolled the solo 12-hour in the past, so I make it a point to say some words of encouragement to every solo that I pass now that I roll with a multi-person team. But, a weird part of me longs for the solitude and suffering that only a solo effort can bring. And then I see someone solo and think, "nah".

It was actually cooler than it has been in years past...even though the Garmin's might have hit 90 in the sun, it can easily register 110 or more and be much hotter throughout the day...we got pretty lucky with the early cloud cover and the mild temps. Traction was also pretty good with some sand and some leftover damage from the March Kenda Cup muddiest, but Jason Ranoa and the SoCalEndurance crew have done a great job with the course. It was also a little shorter and less technical than in years past, probably because we would have torn up some of the lines that were going to be used for the Enduro on Sunday. That's ok, because fatigue+tech=crash.

That segment on the video at 4:00 isn't so bad, its actually better than what we had to do before that sidecut was put in two years ago; finish that climb! Its a good spot to catch your breath and get a little back in the groove before the rolling ridge lines of fun.

It was good to see everyone had some fun, even those first-timers, and the November race is even better with the night laps (and the snakes are asleep in November too...nothing seeing a giant one stretched out across the trail in the "Tunnel of Love" segment).

mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    I'm really going to plan better if I try it again with that heat! 90 was bad enough... Cool November temps might be tempting... :)

12. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    My ride report is a tad different than you awesome solo studs! This was my first time to participate at the 12 Hours of Temecula, but I was part of a 4 map open relay team. I previously did a 6 hour solo in Lake Havasu, and wanted no part of another torture fest. Because I know that a solo is not easy, I acknowledged every single solo person I passed and gave them words of encouragement. Heck, I was even passed by a couple of solo guys!!! Not sure how those guys were going that FAST! Anyway, I had a ton of fun as part of the 4 man team. However, as this was my first team event it was still challenging sitting for a little while then going out and giving a 100% max effort on each lap. Our team ended up doing 16 laps and I was the last guy to finish at 8:40. It was really cool seeing all the lights when I reached the top of the switchback climb. Overall, I really enjoyed the course, it was super fun and had enough climbing to keep you humbled. The fast and flowy single track was super fun!!!! Oh, did anyone notice all the water bottles accumulating at the bottom of that first chunky drop after the first climb! It was funny to see all the lost bottles at the bottom of that drop.

Faust29, the video is great and I kept looking for you after I spotted you on the track but never saw you again. Looks like you were camped out near the transition area, but I didn't see your there even though we were super close to your EZ up. I was with the MVP/thinkASG guys in their compound.

I am looking forward to the next event out there!

Rob

Faust29 likes this.
  13. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Damn, I wanted to do this! Reading your ride reports make me wish I had. But a nasty cold two weeks ago left me feeling completely unprepared. When I can barely survive 3 laps at OTH, 6 hours Solo doesn't seem like a good idea.

That and the hangdog expression on my son's face when I told him I was going to miss his baseball team's end-of-year party for an MTB race sealed the deal. But unless something's broken, I'll be there for the November race!

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

I agree on the team part of these races. I think it is easier to ride all day solo, than to sprint for 1 hr...sit for 3-4 hrs, then have to go back out and sprint for 1 hr....just difficult to get into a groove. Having done 24 hr races on 5 man teams, I can relate.

There were a couple of spots on the course where it seemed like the water bottle collection was growing....watched one guy lose his about 1/2 way through the lap. Just more obstacles in the trail to deal with.

Faust29 likes this.
  15. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Congrats to everyone who did the 6 or 12 hr solo, that's some tough going. I still have yet to sign up for one of these,.. However, I have done a few 12hr team events, and yes... sprinting until your lungs explode for an hour and then resting for 2 or 3 just to go and blow yourself up again is pretty tough also. But it is FUN! There is a comradery among fellow team mates and at the end of the day, beers and a chance at the podium is shared. Get a team together and do all 3 races... fun stuff. I don't know if they have the "old guys" team thing still. all 4 racers age had to add up to 200 I think. Need to get a team together again. it's fun

16. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    That was pretty cool- hearing another IMTBer coming up fast! My first 4 laps, I only pitted for a couple minutes. I felt good, so I kept getting back out there. That may have been a mistake considering the 5th lap from hell.

The water bottles were funny... 1... then 2, and I think there might have been 4 on my last lap. I have stainless cages, and I gave them an extra bend to hold the bottles after seeing that.

17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    I can relate to the "baseball dad" thing... We just got the email about summer ball starting up already. This will reduce my already taxed riding time! I have to go through the schedule, and start planning now!

18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    This was a great read! Thank you! :clap:
    Very sorry that you lost your original RR. That has happened to me a couple of times. Sometimes my RR's take longer than the ride itself! :|
    One thing I have done to prevent that is use Microsoft word to do my initial report in. I just save it or have it on auto save. Once I got the bulk done, I will cut and paste it, and then "Save Draft". Then I go in and pepper it with the pics. "Save Draft" will NOT save your pics. :cry:

Hope this helps in the future...

Faust29 likes this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    I used the old word processor for round 2... Live and learn!

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Found a pic:

ND5A9530-XL.jpg

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  21. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Kudos to you guys for doing this event! Faust - is that a standard GoPro with the handlebar mount? Nice video!
    Sorry to hear it wasn't your BEST day Jason but you put in an impressive run even with your issues. Your usual smile looks a little grimacing on the one climb.
    (that's usually my look when climbing anything)

mtnbikej likes this.
  22. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    mtnbikej thanks for the tip about this pb creative photos, since the other one "called to creation " took one but I really wanted this one with the flash.. your pics looks really good man !!

23. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    I think that if you pay for the pics Phil takes off the watermark.....

24. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    me "I'm going to pay the print photo, it's cheaper"
    her"no, pay this one, and then put it on facebook"
    me " no"
    her"I pay for it"
    me "ok"

uploadfromtaptalk1433874774603.png

mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    I use one of the knock-off mounts from Amazon... It's the "fotasy" aluminum handlebar mount- under $10. I have it turned down, so it's under the bars.

26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Those are some cool shots!

I broke down and bought a few of mine...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433876689.480023.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433876702.577822.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433876712.277873.jpg

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  27. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    so.... I got you from behind? I meant the photo, we were so close and so distant at the same time... brothers next time we need to meet before the event.. [emoji57]

uploadfromtaptalk1433881366972.png

28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Now that I'm the proud owner of an easy-up, I will hang a shingle and a welcome sign next time!

Did I just say "next time?" :crazy:

29. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Here's me in my OC Bike Garage kit.

rob.jpg

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    First - kudos and major props to all y'all who went out there to enjoy suffering. Great ride reports. I had to lie down and rest from the heat exhaustion just reading about hallucinations and cramps.

Second, the reason J's grimacing in this photo is because clearly his saddle just got rammed into his nether regions. OUCH! That would make me hallucinate too!

:wave: :clap: :wave: :clap: :thumbup:

Faust29 likes this.