11/20/16 - Sisar / Nordhoff / Gridley

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Daddy Dirtbag, Oct 28, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 11-20-16
  1. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Ride Name: 11/20/16 - Sisar / Nordhoff / Gridley
    When: Sunday - November 20th 2016
    Time: Pretty early. . . . . Will explain in post
    Where: Ojai
    Ride Description or Details:
    We will climb up Sisar fire road (9 miles, 3400') to Nordhoff Ridge, traverse Nordhoff Ridge and descend Gridley trail down into Ojai. Ends up being either 24 miles (option A) or 31 miles (option B) with around 4000 to 5000 feet of climbing and descending. Intermediate skills and fitness will be required. It's a little bit of a butt kicker. You'll talk bad about me on the way up Sisar, and then all will be forgiven by the time you're halfway down Gridley.
    ~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location: Will explain in a post. Trust me, this format has worked for me several times and makes it possible for a large group of somewhat varying abilities to mostly ride together by staggering the start where most of the climbing takes place. I will post a map and lots of details in the coming days.
    Skill Level: Intermediate
    Ride Pace: Social Cruise
    Type of Ride: Loop
    Rider Limit: N/A
    Anticipated Mileage: Option A: 24 miles, Option B: 31 miles
    Elevation Gain: 4000 to 5000
    Ride Duration: It's not a quick ride, but it's fun as heck.
    Previous Ride Reports: My previous ride reports for this ride reside somewhere deep within the bowels of the STR archives and I could not find them.
    Possible Bail-Outs: You can bail out any time on the Sisar climb, but we will be speaking ill of you mercilessly in a good natured way for some time.
    Facilities: None
    Food/water suggestions: Bring a LOT of water. If it's still warm, bring even more water. I have used over 200 ounces of water on this ride and still ran out when it was warm.
    Option to Upload:

Cyclotourist, mike, Luis and 10 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I love how 5000' of climbing is considered intermediate fitness on IMTB...

That's an epic requiring a two-day recovery period for normal people.

abuck55, Cyclotourist, Luis and 7 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That sounds interesting, DaddyD... :thumbsup:

Edit: Mr. Google says 126 miles and 2 hours drive time with no traffic. Sounds doable to me... I'll keep a watch on the calendar. I've never ridden up there, and it sounds like a good time.

Luis, Daddy Dirtbag, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    At this point.... I'm in! I love that ride. Coming down Gridley fresh would be nice this time, ha hah!
    How do we get back to the bottom of Sisar? (Please don't say road ride!:sick:)

Ride Reports:
    Sisar to Red Reef
    Gridley to Red Reef and Back

I assume we will park at the elementary school parking lot?

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I believe option A starts at the bottom of Sisar and option B starts in Ojai. Option B will ride road over to the bottom of Sisar and catch up to the option A group by the time they get to the top of Sisar. Both groups will finish together in Ojai.

6. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    I've done this ride a bunch of times. Park at Boccali's Restaurant (yes ride the road to Sisar) it goes quick.
    Interested

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I'd be in for this. Sounds way less painfull then the last time over there right @Mikie...I'll do the road ride back no problem. I must say though climbing Sisar and not dropping Red Reef seems like a crime.

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    We could climb Sisar drop Red Reef then climb back up the remainder of Sisar and then go do Gridley like last time? :ninja: Hee hee!
    But that's up to our ride leader...:notworthy:

MTBHotRod and Daddy Dirtbag like this.
  9. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    A Sunday ride and a chance to descend Gridley?
    I'm 99% in :thumbsup:

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    And I'm on vacation that week so how could I say no?

MTBHotRod, Daddy Dirtbag and Mikie like this.
  11. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Although the total elevation gained is intimidating, I am putting this in my calendar! Thanks @Daddy Dirtbag this ride has been on my list of trails to ride for some time!

MTBHotRod, Daddy Dirtbag and Mikie like this.
  12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Mike! The Sisar fire road climb is totally doable...

MTBHotRod, Daddy Dirtbag and Makoto like this.
  13. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    I like to think of it as a "mini-epic". Another way to describe it is Golden Eagle on steroids. On one hand, 24 to 31 miles might be longer than most rides, but I try to save 'epic' for rides more like something mtnbikej might do on a Tuesday when he's pressed for time ;~).

The good news is that the climbing is primarily front loaded, and it ends with a 4000 ft, 11 mile descent. Once you climb Sisar, to the saddle, the trek across Nordhoff Ridge is more rolling with no extended climbs, and once you get around the backside of Chief Peak, it's on!

I'm no goat'r, but if I am going to climb that much on a ride, this is about as ideal as it gets to do that. The Sisar fire road is primarily decomposed granite and fairly well maintained. You can ride this in the rain, and it's fine (one of the few rides in SoCal that is rain-friendly). I know people that have climbed Sisar on road bikes. I know one person that did it with us on a SS, but says he won't be doing that again ;~) The grade is steady enough, but there is one semi-butt kicker section that's a quarter mile or so long that is a few miles in. Once that is behind you, it's just a steady grind to the saddle. There are two potential creek crossings early on that are usually rideable or there are rocks lined up to walk across. I have always been able to get through and I have ridden Sisar in all sorts of different weather.

I have pulled this off with a good sized group of mixed ability riders. I'll make a post below with the gruesome details.

Yes!

If you were ever to try something like this, Sisar/Gridley is a great ride to go for it. If the climb is too much, you could always turn around and it's pretty much downhill all the way to Ojai.

14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Definitely interested. Been a long time since I've been out that way. Great riding for sure.

abuck55, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Oh I think the Bomb squad needs to get some of this!

abuck55, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A bit afield from my hood, but a ride very worth doing.

Thanks for leading the charge on this, DaddyD. :thumbsup: Have a great time!

Mikie and Daddy Dirtbag like this.
  17. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That's my wife's 50th birthday weekend. I'm 99% in. Lol.

As suggested I prefer to start in the town of Ojai and get all of the road riding and climbing done at the beginning. Nothing but downhill bombing, beers, and burrito's after that.

18. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Trying to get the time off. Who's still in? What's the weather gonna be?

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm in...

abuck55 and Voodoo Tom like this.
  20. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I'm in. Weather looks good so far.

Mikie likes this.
  21. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Blew my shock last week. So long as it's back from being serviced/rebuilt I'm in!

Mikie likes this.
  22. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Still in...

Mikie likes this.
  23. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    I have been hesitating a bit because I have been experiencing some bursitis like symptoms in one of my knees. If you are having physical issues, Sisar/Gridley might be . . . . . . . ambitious, and a host of other unfortunate things. I think it seems to be getting better, so I am going forward with this. I'll layout the corrdination and meet times in a day or so. Count on the start time being somewhere around 8 am depending on which group you're in (mere mortals/relative superheroes). Current forecast is for 72° and partly cloudy in Ojai. It'll be a bit cooler 4,000' higher up on Nordhoff Ridge.

This will be a fun ride!

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  24. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Mikie, TBH, I would put you in the 'superhero' camp. Those are the guys that leave from the Ranger Station in Ojai, ride up the road, and then chase us Mere Mortal 'rabbits' up the hill. If you really don't want to ride up the road, and can arrange to get someone shuttled back to your car in upper Ojai after the ride, then I would suggest that you start at about 9:15 a.m. from Sisar School so you don't have to wait too long (if at all) at the saddle.

Part of the reason for having some riders start from Ojai is so others can get shuttled back to their cars afterwards, but I am not going to be a 'ride nazi' and tell anyone when and where they have to start. All I would ask is that if you want to participate with the group, is that everyone keep in mind that this is still intended to be a fun (but tough) ride rather than an all out hammer-fest/swordfight. If the stronger riders start as I described, they can still hammer up Sisar and hopefully not feel their style has been cramped too much. Trying to make it so everyone gets to ride so it's fun for them, and have a good size group enjoy an awesome day together in the dirt.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm in.......? :whistling:

Tom the Bomb, Daddy Dirtbag and Mikie like this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm in for the fun and camaraderie, I've hammered up Sisar a couple of times (it's perfect for that), but I would rather hang with the group and enjoy the day. I will follow your lead Ride Mastah! :notworthy:

Tom the Bomb, Daddy Dirtbag and UPSed like this.
  27. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I'm in. Planning on starting at the Ranger Station in Ojai and then hitting the Ojai Beverage Company afterwards for food and brews. Who else is planning on starting at the Ranger Station?

28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I will be starting at the ranger station. I was thinking Mexican afterwards but the Beverage Company sounds good.

Daddy Dirtbag and Mikie like this.
  29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm down for starting at the RS and completing the journey at the BC!

Daddy Dirtbag, MTBHotRod and UPSed like this.
  30. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    My status has been downgraded to not likely. Cane Creek just called and it is highly unlikely I will have a shock in time.

Mikie likes this.