Saturday and Sunday San Gabes

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by rossage, Jan 2, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Saturday: Strawberry Pk with the Bomb Squad. Starting from Switzers. Time TBD. Probably early. Trail is in great shape. I think they want to ride up to Josephine too.Adds some miles, total about 19.

Sunday: Mt Wilson from Chantry. Remember that one Mikie? 7:30 rolling from the upper lot. Early start due to parking limitations at Chantry. At least 3 options off the top.
    Rim trail to the Gabe. Sturdevant to the Gabe. Kenyon Devore to West Fork to Newcomb saddle and ....the Gabielino back to Chantry.

Unless you guys got something better going on....shop vac-ing water.....(back) Ho-ing around.....slaloming through saguaros....eyeballing my wingnut.... :lol:

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I'm in for Saturday!

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Saturday is 9am at Switzers. I would get there a little earlier to make sure you get a spot.

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I gotta stay local this weekend... :(

Gonna post a ride for Golden Eagle Trail tomorrow as an option...

Tear it up MTB Rockstahs!!!

5. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Would of been great to join you Rossage & Tom the boom & crew on Saturday, but will be doing CPR/ First Aid with the Angeles Forest Service to prepare for mikie's Sawyer "B" Chainsaw 2 day recertification (next weekend) to be able to get to work on the big boy trees down in our Forest. :) have fun!

uploadfromtaptalk1420251947633.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1420251955826.jpg

6. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I'm in for today's ride. Possibly for Sunday too. Will be my first time on both.

Looking up the directions to the parking location for Switzer's (Truck Trail), I got this: <a class="postlink" href="https://www.google.com/maps/dir//34.266722,-118.144956/@34.266722,-118.144956,17z/data=!4m5!1m4!3m3!1s0x0:0x0!2zMzTCsDE2JzAwLjIiTiAxMTjCsDA4JzQxLjgiVw!3b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.google.com/maps/dir//34.266 ... LjgiVw!3b1</a>

I see there's 5 parking lots in the area. 1 at the corner on the bottom, 1 leading up to it and 1 further down the hwy, 1 part way up, and 1 at the top. Just pick the first one that has an open spot?

Clear, 36F with high of 54, calm wind - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=wxmap&query=34.26952,-118.14069&lat=34.26952&lon=-118.14069&zoom=15&type=terrain&units=english&rad=0&sat=0&svr=0&cams=0&tor=0&wxsn=1&wxsn.mode=temp&wxsn.opa=50&wxsn.bcdgtemp=0&wxsn.rf=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... &wxsn.rf=0</a>

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I gotta stay local this weekend... :(

8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Plenty more spots at the bottom but as Ross says they fill up fast.

9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Varaxis, park at the very bottom if you can. When you drive down you'll see why! Start with a climb, end with the downhill. ...see you there.

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Varaxis-cant make it tomorrow. Gotta be home too early. Probably just do an early Brown Mtn run. Possibly next weekend... :D

11. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Roger that. Passed by the signs on the 210 for Mt Wilson and Mountain Ave, so I got an idea of how to get there. Just need to look it up for next time.

12. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Name:
    mikie and robin
    After spending all day Saturday with the Forest service First aid/CPR for Mikie's recertification Sawyer B Chainsaw . We couldnt wait to get back to work and inspect for upcoming Chainsaw work & ride Switzer to Red box and loop Strawberry. So by 9:00 am we parked at Clear Creek ranger station . Went down the Nature Canteen trail to go up Switzer (Gabrielino) After climbing Switzer to Red box (mikie was able to cut a couple of down trees & move some rocks) (will need chainsaw next time) than got to our favorite sweet Strawberry loop and down Josephine. .What a spectacular day. .Next time will be taking the Chainsaw with the tool trailer ..I'm not a very good ride reporter like Mr. Watson or you all, but I just wanted to say Love reading your RR'S. Thank you! [emoji4] , Robin.
    ef6415460ea34bcbc8ddd3cf0ff4019e.jpg779ad0584482bd5969741996d89bb9a7.jpg03c09f66c9ff336756b57ad1085c8451.jpg9fabcafb682d6cfa6ce1b3efcd4c1ed1.jpgfce67a32832a974ccef0b04a24d39199.jpg

13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Thanks you guys!

14. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Thank you trail angels!

15. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Thank you for the Thank you ' s :) , have been addicted to trail work since 1993 in the ANF.photo of our crew back in the early 90's.
    That's Mikie (bottom photo) on Gabrielino back then wasn't much safety certifications going on.. top photo Mikie's Chainsaw Certification (check the outfit) . 8b32bee7e3b4bffc03358d7718ea6d3d.jpg
    P.S. back then mikie had a lot more hair too ;) don't tell him I said that..lol[emoji72]
    And that's Hans in the back with the ponytail :)

uploadfromtaptalk1420486436103.jpg

16. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    You guys are the best!All those downed trees were a kill joy descending the Gab. Thanks a million!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?