water bottle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 7Mary3, Apr 23, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    Well I decided to use 2 water bottle on my ride and it was great. I have this modified fanny pack that has and backpack strap but not a convienient way to carry water bottles. Ideally looking for something that can carry 2 camelback podiums 24 oz on my hip

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I swear by the 2 bottle system (when I need that much fluid) for riding my HT. It's so nice not to have a 100 ounce bladder on my back that is full of fluid. For my FS rig, year, full bladder on the back.

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  4. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    I was using my kids 32 oz Gatorade waterbottle..I had 32 oz left..over kill..I tried to fit the 32 oz Gatorade water bottle on a cage, but it is too long..what is a good/recommended size for a FS bike so it will not interfere with the suspension?

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    That most likely depends on the bike and it's design. I would call the technical dept of your bike's manufacturer and ask.

6. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I use a feedbag, fits near the stem with a cinch on it to tighten as needed. Hold 1 there and bottle holder on frame.

IMG_20161219_130715.jpg

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I use a feedbag too. Mostly to hold food and other items, but it will hold a 1 liter bottle if necessary.
    I found that using a fanny bag with 2 bottles and gear was not that great. The fanny pack became too heavy and I started wishing it had some more support-like shoulder straps...but wait...I already have a Camelbak Charge 10LR and that is a low-slung pack with straps so I was back at square one.
    I use 1 or 2 frame mounted bottles on most rides lasting less than 3 hours. On epics and foul weather days, I use the Camelbak to carry more water and extra gear. When I do use the Camebak, I will still use 1 bottle filled with some sort of rehydration drink.
    Just keep experimenting until you find what works for you. Even then, don't be afraid to try something new-you can mount bottles just about anywhere on a bike. There are also more options than ever for using frame bags, oversize seat packs, handlebar bags, collapsible bottles, life-straws, and bluetooth enabled, nuclear desalination portals for drinking directly from rock outcrops in arid regions.

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Let's not forget this little guy for long hot days... :thumbsup:

top-mount.jpg

9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Got one of those too! Just make sure you strap that bottle in-there's a whole lot of shaking goin' on up there....

Faust29 and pperrelle like this.
  10. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    What does that look like on the bike, never seen one before

Faust29 and pperrelle like this.
  11. PATKOUG

PATKOUG Member

Name:
    Pete
    Current Bike:
    2015 Niner WFO 9
    I like using my Dakine Low Rider 5L Hip Pack. It includes a 2 L (70 ounce) hydration bladder (with hose and mouthpiece) and has a little internal storage for stuff as well as a flap that can be used to strap-down a jacket or a set of pads or the like onto it with two adjustable straps. I believe Camelback makes a similar pack and bladder combo, but it's reservoir is a little smaller--which turned me off--so I went with the Dakine. I like it. Check it out.

https://www.dakine.com/low-rider-5l.html

Also, if you're interested in possibly mounting two water bottle cages to a single set of water bottle cage bosses--like on your down tube--I just happened to get an email from JensonUSA this morning showcasing a few different Wolf Tooth items including their (I believe to be new) B-RAD (Be-Rad), Bottle Relocation and Accessory Devices, which consist of a Double Water Bottle Cage Holder Adapter, a Strap and Accessory Holder, and a mounting rail/base that comes in a three different lengths/sizes. Its looks to me like you have to use one of these rail/bases in conjunction with either the Double Water Bottle Cage Holder Adapter or the Strap and Accessory Holder though--so... there's that... but... Anyway, check it out

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com...cts/products/b-rad-double-bottle-cage-adapter

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/b-rad-products

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pages/b-rad-bottle-relocation-and-accessory-device

Grego, Faust29 and HBkites like this.
  12. PATKOUG

PATKOUG Member

Name:
    Pete
    Current Bike:
    2015 Niner WFO 9
    It's a stem top cap with tabs for a water bottle cage.

Faust29 likes this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    PATKOUG and rossage like this.
  14. Wait a minute!!!! That's what I might need.

Any other cool water bottle mount ideas???

15. I just got one of these, however I have a few complaints using it for bike riding.
    1. Strap to narrow
    2. Strap in wrong location to keep the weight of the bottles supported from sagging down off my lower back

I think some sewing could fix these issues

IMG_6989.JPG

16. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I don't think you really need water for the FLoop. :Roflmao

mtnbikej and Runs with Scissors like this.
  17. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    There is the Two Fish velcro mount one.
    311jub%2BZyYL.jpg

18. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I wear specialized SWAT mountain liner bibs to carry water bottles. I hate the big S but their Mountain liner and mountain liner pro are by far the best products of their type on the market. I prefer the pro because it has an extra cell phone pocket and can be worn without baggies if i so chose. At any rate, I typically carry a 24 of 27 oz bottle in my water bottle cage and then another 27oz bottle in my bib. This setup works for me on any rides that are going to be under 2 hours. In the 2-3 range I use a dakine low rider pack that has 70oz capacity. For 4+ hour rides, there is no substitute for a camelbak.

doublewide, PATKOUG and mtnbikej like this.
  19. I was just sketching up a concept to make a custom water bottle mount for my foes frame, but it might not be worth the work. I want to saddle two bottles (thin flack style bottles) over the top tube near headtube

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    A bottle on the frame....when I ride the FS rig....and a bottle in the jersey pocket. I can mount a 2nd bottle on the Tallboy, but don't like the bottle on the bottom of the down tube.

On the SS....2 bottles on the bike, and a 3rd bottle in my jersey pocket of water sources are too scarce. One more reason to ride the HY all the time, and why I ride the frame I do.

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I use dehydrated water. It's light and very portable.

Just add water!

22. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    Dusty, I was also considering this but reviews I've read said it didn't work too well with MTB'ing
    My top tube is unconventional..more hexagonal (inverted diamond-like) than cylindrical..but I dig the minimalist design.

23. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    True, that Floop is a one
    That looks perfect, wonder how well those elastic binders will hold though..would be perfect for those (me) that have non-cylindrical top tube.

dustyyoungblood likes this.
  24. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    Patkoug, I'm leaning on this one..how has it been so far? Does it sag or sit well on your lower back. I was using a Burton (snowboarding) fanny pack, but the way that one is designed if it gets loaded it starts slipping off your back..not meant for holding water..more like gloves and lighter goods.

25. PATKOUG

PATKOUG Member

Name:
    Pete
    Current Bike:
    2015 Niner WFO 9
    I've had it about a year now and I like it a lot. It carries 2 liters of water at the back of my waist instead of up high on my back which is great because I really like having the weight lower and not having a perpetually wet back. Its weight is of course most noticeable when full, and when jumping it flops up and down a little, but it lessens as it lightens with every drink. I just keep it cinched down nice and tight and it becomes one with my body/waistline and I practically forget I'm even wearing it. I've found that as the bladder empties I have to keep cinching down the waist buckles to keep it nice and tight around my waist, but that's no problem. I recommend it highly.

26. PATKOUG

PATKOUG Member

Name:
    Pete
    Current Bike:
    2015 Niner WFO 9
    Ebruner has a Dakine Low Rider that seems to serve him well, as well. And like him, if I need more than 2 liters of hydration, I use a tried and true Camelback-style 3 liter hydration pack as well.

27. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    The Dakine pack takes a bit to get used to if I'm honest. I sorta hated it on the first ride, hated it less on the second and by the time I did the third I really liked it. The deal with it is that you have to wear it tight. If you've been using no camelbaks or just bottles for a while, it's going to feel really restrictive at first. It's all about finding the right spot on your body to wear it. Instinctively, you're likely going to start with it a bit looser and on your hips... but it's way better off a bit higher and tight so that it's supported by your abs.

I have a pretty bad back and I find that a full traditional camelbak that braces off my shoulders seems to leverage against it making it stiff/sore. The dakine does not do that. Also, for what it's worth the camelbak competing product is pretty nice as well. It's larger (taller) and has a stiffer back support built in. It feels comfortable but the extra size makes it a bit more awkward and it can be a bit fussier when it's time to drink. My buddy has one and we've tried each others back and forth to compare. I think I would adjust to the camelbak palos in time... truth be told all of these take some adjustment from our well worn in habits.

28. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    Well I had some extra parts/bladders lying around and made a DIY waist hydro pack..I was also able to transfer over the clips from the other bag and it fits pretty well..gonna give it a test run tomorrow. It turns out this fanny bag has additional charges cinch straps that make it snug against the lower back.

IMG_6500.JPG

IMG_6498.JPG

IMG_6504.JPG

pperrelle likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?