Unoffically Official 2017 VQ and CC Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by DBMX119, Nov 5, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 04-07-18
  1. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    My current tire is the EXO version.
    I saw the Sten coming out of the center of the thread pattern about 3" for the valve stem.
    I'll probably order a new tire, and make the final call when I get back home (from TX) on Wednesday night.

Cornholio, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  2. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    I never repaired a TL tire (on a bike).
    If by Wednesday the tire is flat. I'll replace it (and repair the old one later on).

How do you go about repair a TL tire? With a regular tube patch?

DBMX119 likes this.
  3. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I've done it a few times with great results. Make sure you use the good patch kits with sand paper/glue etc and that the tire is as dry as possible in the area of the patch (clean of stans).

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    DBMX119 and HBkites like this.
  5. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Want to hear my war story? One of my VQ's a few years back I flatted on Blackstar. Really messed with me psychologically. Kept going- but wasn't feeling great that day. Ended up missing the lower holy Jim parking lot cutoff by 2 minutes!!! Getting turned around after 6+ hours in the saddle was rough. You never know how these things will play out. I would never risk not having a perfectly tuned bike for this event because you have SO much invested in it. Get new tires, you'll need them at some point anyway. Good luck to all this weekend!!! Ride strong!

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Exactly....things happen. Some can be controlled, some not. There is something to be said about changing a flat when you are on your own time....but put the pressure of time cutoffa and there is a chance of it taking longer than normal size nice you are trying to rush through it.

StrandLeper, DBMX119, HBkites and 4 others like this.
  7. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    And by the way- I was running thru the water with no regard to keeping my feet dry!

StrandLeper, HBkites, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  8. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Sharone - You have been training for a year and probably sacrified a lot of family time to get ready for this. Don't let a $50-$80 tire compromise your countless hours in the saddle for a DNF. You will kick yourself should it fail and you do not finish. Put a new tire on so you have one less thing to worry about. Come Friday night and Saturday morning you do not want to be messing with it.

StrandLeper, MolarM, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  9. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    That was my initial reaction to it, but I wanted to make sure I'm not overreacting.

It is not about the money. It is about making sure I'm not making too big of a deal out of one event.
    After all, it is just a bike ride. The longest one I ever attempted, but it is just a ride.
    I'm not going to win it, and if I finished I probably wouldn't be the last guy to finish.
    I'm over thinking it..... time to get back to work.

StrandLeper, MolarM, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  10. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Well "dry" is a relative term. ha ha. I've never waited more than a few minutes. I usually wipe it with a paper towel then hit it with the sand paper a few minutes later, add the glue and patch. I'll let it sit for 30 minutes or so and will then throw it back on the bike. I've never had to do it on a MTB tire but have done it on several CX tires that were cut by shrapnel the road within a few rides of being new. I'm probably breaking all kinds of rules, but I've never had problems after doing that.

That being said: I agree 100% with the statement someone made above. Its not worth risking a DNF or even dealing with a leaky tire on race day. Get a new one and you can recycle the other one back into rotation after it wears out.

kioti, MolarM, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We're in the same boat... I don't want to keep overthinking everything, or go in unprepared. But after reading the suggestions, it makes sense. Swap the tires for new, change the brake pads, check all the nuts and bolts, and be as prepared as possible. What will be, will be... :thumbsup:

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Well they just sent out the support positions....looks like I'll be out there for one last VQ. Hope none of you see me catching up to you on Maple Springs. :stop::thumbsdown:

After 4 Corners it's a party. :thumbsup:

kioti, Fijirob, jasonmason and 5 others like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I've taken you out on some death marches that are harder than VQ and you did fine.

Just enjoy it.

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    All right, all right... I'll tell the butterflies to get lost. :cautious:
    Yeah... I'm pretty sure the Wrightwood 50 is going to stay at the top of the heap as far as difficulty, exertion and the focus required. VQ should be a walk in the park! :whistling:

StrandLeper, kioti, Fijirob and 3 others like this.
  15. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Given my lack of training my attitude towards Saturday (CC) has shifted to "fugg it, let's see how far your fat ass can get." I'm going to load up on Tailwind, take breaks when I feel my heart pumping too much and push my bike when I need to. I felt like crap yesterday but riding to the Doppler ball still wasn't even that bad so maybe I can make it or maybe I'll limp out defeated, either way I am going to try. Heck, I did the Mt. Whitney hike in one day a few years ago with no training at all (ok I kinda lied, I rode maple springs to 4 corners a week before as "training"). This will be harder than hiking for 15 hours though. :thumbsdown:

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Exactly..:...and I completely forgot about that one.

Faust29 likes this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Event day makes some things a little easier. You tend to get pulled along through Blackstar.

Hopefully we'll get to ride together up Maple Springs. :D

Cornholio likes this.
  18. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I'll stick a lightweight tow rope in my pack just in case I see you.

kioti, mtnbikej, MattB and 1 other person like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So by 8 am or so it should clear for me to start up Black Star? :whistling:

jaime likes this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Yup

21. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    On the spectating side; I'm still looking at going up Maple to the top of Motorway and then 4c.
    In case anyone is having issues on the course, what kind of support is or is not allowed?

Cornholio likes this.
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    As long as you are not riding their bike for them....pretty anything goes.

Faust29, Rumpled and Cornholio like this.
  23. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Mounted new tires onto the JET, the 2.35 Ikon looks wider than the 2.4 Ardent.. I am sure the Ardent will grow a little but not that much.

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    That is because they are both built on the same carcass. The tread on the 2.4 Ardent is narrower than the tread on the 2.35 Ikon.

Faust29 and Cornholio like this.
  25. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2011 Specialized S-Works 29er
    So the 4 times I've done CC/VQ I've ratcheted up the complexity to keep things interesting for myself (CC geared, CC SS, VQ SS, VQ SS rigid).

Although I've gone back to CC based on predicted reduced riding time with the kiddos and all, I've got my biggest challenge this year... 4/8 will be the first time I've touched my bike in 3 weeks due to some back/hip issues I've been nursing since my last ride. Not really sure what I did to it, but got to a point I couldn't throw my leg over the saddle... figured it was time to take a rest.

Minimal bike prep and winging it in the nutrition department sounds like a recipe for success this year. :thumbsup:

I'm still gonna go out and give her hell, although @mtnbikej may be scraping me off the trail somewhere between the Maple Pavement and 4C.o_O

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Sounds like you got it all figured out. :thumbsup:

I'll have the whip, cattle prod and the broom. :eek:

StrandLeper, Faust29, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  27. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Well.... The percentage of rain continues to increase for Silverado on Saturday. This could be interesting.

I'll need to figure out if it would be worth bringing a change of gloves and a thicker jacket as you get to the peak. Coming down from the peak with wet gloves in cold weather is no bueno!

28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    To paraphrase a famous quote: "You've got to get to the peak.. to descend from the peak."

One Friday night forecast: "A steady rain in the evening. Showers continuing late. Low 58F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%."

Of course they've been wrong before..

29. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    My only real concern is the mud on B*. Everything else should be good. Thankfully, thanks to all the bad weather I have experience on the rest of the trails in the rain. :)

StrandLeper, kioti, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Try to avoid a contact high...it'll just slow you down. :)

Faust29, mtnbikej and DBMX119 like this.