Chupacabra Ride #XXX!

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by BonsaiNut, Feb 2, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 02-05-17
  1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Ride Name: Out and back to Santiago Peak via Harding
    When: Sunday Feb 5
    Time: 6:30 in the AM
    Where: Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary
    Ride Description or Details:
    Simple ride up Harding to Santiago Peak before the rains. Regular pace for me means 4:15 round trip with 15 minutes break time scattered along the way. 6:30 departure means plenty of light, but no parking problems.
    ~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location:
    Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary parking
    Skill Level: Intermediate
    Ride Pace: Moderate Pace
    Type of Ride: Out and Back
    Rider Limit:
    Anticipated Mileage:
    29 miles
    Elevation Gain: 4900
    Ride Duration: 4:15
    Previous Ride Reports:
    Possible Bail-Outs:
    Out and back - uphill almost the entire first half. Bail out at any time and glide back to your car.
    Facilities: Mother nature.
    Food/water suggestions: Going to be cool, partly cloudy. Bring appropriate fuel for a 3 hour climb. Water needs modest.
    Option to Upload:

2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Silence...

Mikie, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Oh I looked at this ride but I'm 80 miles away and the early start time just didn't jive with me.
    Maybe next time. TFPU

Mikie, mike, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  4. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Screenshot_20170205-054542.png
    Have a good ride guys, I just got home from work !
    The cake is from the "Chupacabras mtb 100 km race" which is held in Juarez city in Mexico. And yes Tinker Juarez races there.

Mikie, mtnbikej, bvader and 4 others like this.
  5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Hey no worries! I like leaving early because I'll be the first one on the trail, the first one to four corners, the first one to the peak...

I will probably ride three hours without seeing another human. That's the beauty of Sunday morning rides in the Santa Anas! And to think I used to ride Aliso on weekends. You could almost walk across the backs of all the bikers...

mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'll be up there later... I'm just having my oatmeal. I haven't been able to do the Blackstar-Motorway loop since before Christmas. VQ reconnaissance is in order!

mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Someone would do this ride on purpose? :confused:

J/K - I know there are lots of IMTBers who enjoy a fireroad climb for the sake of the climb, all of whom, coincidentally, are better climbers than I.
    Have a great ride and watch out for them mythological critters that bite your calves!

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sounds like a stellar outing...soak it up, Greg. :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  9. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    And the race back down, complete with water bar jumps. Those turns on Harding can feel pretty sketch, especially in loose, dry conditions, but are fun for exactly that reason. Plus the views are outstanding, though maybe not today, unless the climb breaks through the clouds into sunshine.

Hope you had a good one Greg. And yes, Santa Ana's on the weekends and the parks during the week.. good advice.

mike, mtnbikej and Runs with Scissors like this.
  10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    A great day... with interesting weather. When I left my house at 6:00 the skies were clear. All the way down El Toro road I could see the Santa Anas perfectly clearly.

ride1.jpg
    Ah yes. The children were nestled all snug in their beds... Biking conditions were perfect - clear and cool with almost zero wind.

ride2.jpg
    As I was climbing up out of the valley, I could see what looked like a heavy marine layer rolling in from the ocean, but it was far away and far below. The requisite shot of the San Gabs from Four Corners.

ride3.jpg
    At Modjeska, I could see the marine layer pushing up the canyons. It was now just about up to Old Camp, and had completely enveloped STT.

ride4.jpg
    Trail conditions were excellent. The trail from Modjeska to Santiago was in the best condition I have ever seen it. The peak was warm (about 55) and dead calm. At this point, the heavy marine layer was pushing up and over the lower Santa Anas, and "draining" down the east slope into Lake Elsinore.

ride5.jpg
    An island in a sea of white... Santiago and Modjeska peaks were above the clouds, while all else was obscured. On the way down, I caught up with the clouds just above Four Corners. Things started to get a little sketchy when I had to remove my glasses because of the moisture, and then a low drizzle started. Visibility dropped significantly and I had to slow down because I couldn't see far enough ahead to avoid other bikers who were starting their climbs.

And I was down and out in 4:13, total time including a couple of breaks and some photo stops. A great day - but I think a later start and the clouds would have put a real damper on things.

I was not the first biker to Santiago, however, just the second. Some crazy fast dude passed me right when I was starting out on Harding. Given his speed I estimate that he would have hit Four Corners in about 1:20. When I was in the saddle between Modjeska and Santiago at 2:30, he passed me again, but he was heading down. I think he did the entire ride in about 3:10 - 3:15. He was cruisin'- about an hour faster than me! He fit the bonsainut 20/20/20 rule: 20 years younger, 20 pounds lighter, and rides 20 times farther each week :)

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Well that and the 2500 calories of cardio :) After you hit 50 you start putting a premium on climbing. The downhills are the dessert :) And trust me - descend from Modjeska to Four Corners at speed and tell me that you can't have some sketchy moments descending a fire road :)

12. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Great shots

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and BonsaiNut like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sketchy does not equal fun. Never said it was easy, just said it's not my kind of fun.

Can't wait 'til I turn 50 so I can shift my attention to climbing! :whistling:

And I agree - those are some awesome photos!

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The early bird got the good views today! We were on the same mountain, not all that far apart... And we could see 20 feet at times. Soaked through and through 1/2 way up Blackstar, riding in the liquid clouds. :D

Watching it blow across Main Divide, and through us, was pretty cool...

15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Yeah it was wet for sure. My face was dripping rain. For a liitle bit i thought it might be freezing rain because the little drops were stinging my cheeks so badly. Funny thing was that on the way up my windbreaker got soaked from sweat and was showing salt stains , but they all got rinsed away on the way down.

16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    If you don't worry about your health before you're 50, you might not have to worry about it after you're 50. I have two friends who died in their 40's. Just sayin'.

Mikie likes this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for the wisdom. I'll put it to use 4 years ago. :sneaky:

kioti, BonsaiNut and Mikie like this.
  18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Amazing Pics!

BonsaiNut likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?