Magura MT6 NEXT

Discussion in 'Brake Systems' started by Torrent77, Jun 23, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I had my old MT6 replaced under warranty with the new MT6 next. They are far superior and felt like my avid X0. Excellent modulation, good power, nice initial bite and doesn't fade especially on long descends where I keep a steady hand on the brakes.

PROs
    Everything is Torx T25
    Fairly lightweight
    Lever is not directly connected to the plunger so if your bike takes a dive, your brakes don't pull out.
    Uses mineral oil so its carbon safe

CONs
    Nothing yet.
    The handlebar clamp screw seems like it can easily be over torqued and break the master cylinder.
    Magura.MT6.Next.jpg

Mikie, Faust29 and Makoto like this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Follow the torque specs exactly on Magura brakes. When the say 2.5 nm for the bleed screw, believe it. Those are made to break.
    Might be worth it to order a few in advance.

I rode Magura brakes for years and keep a set of MT8 around as a spare. I found the 8s just weren't as reliable as the Louise brakes so I switched to XTs a couple of years ago and all is good.

I have ridden and worked on the Next brakes and Magura seems to have addressed the issues with the earlier MT series brakes.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I was thinking of upgrading my Formulas to the Magura MT5 brakeset. 4 piston calipers would hopefully slow my fat ass down.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  4. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I moved to the MT6 from my formula R1. Honestly, I liked the Formulas better. Far superior power and the construction seems bulletproof. Only downside for my is that it ate away my carbon bar so I switched.

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  5. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    MT5 is four piston, should be more powerful than MT6?

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Magura for me was never really about power, or lack of. If you needed it, they had the Gustav that could probably stop a motorcycle. In an age of dead-feeling brakes such as the Juicy/Elixir stuff, Magura offered a lightweight system with great modulation, but not an excess of power. Almost like ABS for bikes. It was great for experienced riders but hacks and skidders couldn't figure them out.

7. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I am going to pull the trigger on the MT5 Brakes, I was bleeding my Formulas today and got real tired of the horrible bleed locations and tiny bleed screws. Should have them by the endnofnthe week. Can't ride though Fork is at Fox.

Mikie and rossage like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?