Camp Nelson Anyone? Officially : August 8th, 9th, & 10th

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Mikie, May 25, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Oh. Never even noticed the tags! And those aren't the only big parts!

2. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Well said Will-d! On this thread and in fact, the whole site, you never know what might "pop up" :lol:

We could do something on Sunday depending on what kind of shape we're in. And I will have to check with my passengers! I just want to get back to my house before dark so we'd have to be actually heading back home by 3:00 p.m. Let's meet face to face on Friday to discuss our options in a rational and dignified manner! If possible :?
    BTW, "frozen wifie prepared breakfast fancies" was too funny! You're right about the sloshing cereal too! And I just got my truck washed and vacumed! Dougie will have to sit in the truck bed on Mikie's ice chest if he wants to consume his gruel!

Mikie likes this.
  3. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Cool Tony! Glad you can partake in the having of some EPICNESS, and escape the grid.

4. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay

So you all had all nite to figure out a friday ride. Whats it gonna be? And did you let Shidan know? And what about the availability of maybe Margaret driving the truck back?

5. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I'm heading up with the family this afternoon. I'll drive down to meet you guys tomorrow at 2:00 in Camp Nelson.

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I did not let her know about a Friday Shuttle cuz we have been all over the map about Shuttles on Friday.

7. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    Well it comes down to whether we ride Summit Trail fri or sat.

I understand that you want to include as many people as possible in the "main event/Epic" ride. But if it turns out to be a bust/bushwack/ lost boys event, I understand what MD is saying. Can you get confirmation that Summit is all rideable and worthy? If so, then its back to the original plan of Saturday Summit Shuttle and Friday 5 for $55 ( Or cannel plunge!)
    A decision needs to made, sooner the better......

8. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Don't tell me we might have to do a ride without a shuttle on Friday! Say it ain't soooo! :D

9. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.....

10. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I'd prefer to ride Bear on Saturday vs. Summit. From my understanding Bear with Nelson trail is a 3.5 to 4.5 hour ride.

11. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Guys, let's get the trail terminology straight. Jordan Peak is the Summit trail north of Quaking Aspen. To get to Bear Creek trail, you have a 5 mile climb on the Summit Trail south of Quaking Aspen to get to the top of Bear Creek. Bear Creek does not connect to the Camp Nelson trail. I believe Rodney's preference is the best way to do it since the Bear Creek trail looks to be the best and longest trail up there. People who are riding only 1 or 2 days, like Rodney, would naturally want to do the best trails. So, we get up early on Saturday, take the earliest possible shuttle with Shidan, ride Bear Creek first and then do a 2nd shuttle with Shidan to ride the Camp Nelson trail. Those who want to do more shuttles with Shidan can do so at their pleasure.

Because of the questionable nature of the Jordan Peak section of the Summit trail, and because Shidan charges $30 a person for that shuttle, I believe we should ride that on Friday as either a loop or a self-shuttle if another vehicle is available or if we want to pay Margaret to drive my truck back ala Deliverance! Bear Creek should be the major, big ride on Saturday with everybody also doing at least one shuttle ride on the Camp Nelson trail using Shidan. I'd hate to waste Rodney's, Dave's and Supah Chick's main day of riding on a sketchy trail, namely, the Jordan Peak section of the Summit Trail north of Quaking Aspen. Bear Creek sounds like a much better trail even if the JPST is completely cleared of brush, logs and perfectly signed.

On Friday we could ride the JPST at little or no cost, ride Freeman Creek again, ride the Needles trail or do the rotating driver shuttle on the Camp Nelson trail or do all of these options. Bottom line, the only day we'd use Shidan's shuttle service is Saturday for which he is already booked for us all day, thanks to Mikie.

12. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    This is the Bear ride.

CaptureBear.JPG

Mikie likes this.
  13. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    12.2mi
    Distance
    2:02:37
    Moving Time
    2,367ft
    Elevation
    143W
    Estimated Avg Power
    1,053kJ
    Energy Output
    Show More
    Avg Max
    Speed 6.0mi/h 28.9mi/h
    Elapsed Time 3:10:00

14. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    This is Jordan Peak

CaptureJordan.JPG

15. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    17.1mi
    Distance
    1:57:26
    Moving Time
    1,500ft
    Elevation
    142W
    Estimated Avg Power
    999kJ
    Energy Output
    Show More
    Avg Max
    Speed 8.7mi/h 37.1mi/h
    Elapsed Time 3:20:41

16. scottay

Name:
    Scottay
    Sounds like a plan? Mikie, any chance you could ask your buddy Shidan if Margaret or some other local would help us out by driving the truck back? Can your truck fit six people MD?

17. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    I think ya'll are going to kill each other before this is over. Sorry I'm going to miss it. :D

18. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    On sunday. I'd book a shuttle with MRA in Kernville for the Cannell trail. Get up at 6, you'll be packed and ready to go by 7. By 8 you'll be at Kern check in and get yourself a nice omellete at the Cracked Egg. Take the Plunge.

19. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Man! Things just calm down a bit and you have to go and stir the pot :shock: ! You should change your name to "Instah Gatah" :lol: Seriously that is a good idea if I weren't starting another long year of teaching on Monday! I'll nip this one in the bud; my truck is heading back home after whatever nice, easy ride Will-D and the rest of us can come up with on Sunday morning!

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Trust me BBJohn. I'm ready to kill myself... :|

21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    We will call Margaret on the way up in the morning cuz this will prolly change at least 6 more times before 9:00am Thursday morning... :roll:

22. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    It will be tight but it can seat 6 for a short, shuttle distance but Dougie may have to sit on someone's lap! :shock: Volunteers?????
    Hope I did that quote bracket thing correctly this time

23. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    I sincerely hope you guys have an incredible time. Can’t say I’m not a bummed and jealous. :mrgreen: Dive safe, ride safe and have a blast!!
    Looking forward to the RR.

24. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

SEE YAAHHH!!!! :cool:

25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  26. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Had a wonderful time riding with all of you guys Friday! Sorry Rodney couldn't make our Friday ride. Thanks also for letting Parker and me crash in your place. Great to meet you Greg and Mike!

TA

image.jpg

27. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    More pics.

image.jpg

28. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A