Brake rotor size snobbery?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torrent77, Jan 29, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Anyone notice the brake rotor size snobbery? Maybe its just me but a few times I took the bike in for service a few people comment on the large rotor size on my bike. For reference I run 203mm for the front and 185mm for the rear. I'm still a year into the sport and I'm of heavier stature so I'm constantly on the brakes going downhill.

Coincidentally, I had the same amount of smug replies when I was running 3x9 and again when I converted to 2x10 just as 1x11 started to take off. I guess I need to grow a thicker skin when I roll out my 3x9 26er with 203 rotor aluminum bike.

2. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Other customers? Or staff? If its staff, try another bike shop. FWIW, after discussion with the guys at The Path-Trabuco, I went with a larger rear rotor. Works for me, and I don't give a feck what anybody else thinks of my bike ;-)

3. cableguy

cableguy Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Michael
    Call out the bike shop on social media, find a new bike shop or learn to service on ur own, and grow a thicker skin

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Sorry, I snickered a little bit.

Brakes these days are much better than before. These days even heavy riders can get a way with smaller rotors, expert on DH bikes.

I know I used to run 203mm rotors on bigger travel bikes....but haven't run anything bigger than 185 in years....including my Heckler, and I was about 210-215 at that point.

5. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Never experienced that, and anyways, to each their own, there are good reasons to run larger or smaller. Maybe the shop caters more to the XC Racer/weight weenie types? If they were more AM/DH oriented more of the bikes they saw would have bigger rotors surely. I personally run 203/180 and and the few extra grams of the larger rotor make no difference on my not so light AM bike (and person), but the extra stopping power does.

6. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Find a new shop, if I was you I would of made the the employee look like a fool like cable guy said. But i would do it to his face at work. It's your bike and if you want a 3x9 or large rotors, so be it.

rojomas, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    You've got to stick with what works for you, your riding and your budget. Don't be bothered by others' opinions on your gear or you'll be upgrading constantly. Just find a shop that treats you well and has staff that will at least bite their tongues until you've walked out the door.:laugh:

8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Torrent77 ,
    Hmmm...
    That just seems so odd that anyone would give anything but light hearted razzing about anything regarding mountain biking. Certainly that would be all you would get here. I see it as, "To each his own" in regards to theirs opinions.

The fact that you own a mountain bike and actually ride it is a triple thumbs up from me and our brothers and sisters of imtbtrails.

I would suggest this. If it's a bike shop, then I would smile and say "STFU! You want my biz or not?" I did say with a big smile...;) If it's just folks, then it's just an opinion and I would smile and think to my self to each his own.

I can tell you this...
    Imtbtrails is your home. You can bring any thoughts, opinions, perspectives, questions, or concerns here and they will be looked at and commented on in a positive environment. We are mountain bikers, and we respect and encourage our kin folk. Period!

Bike on my brothah, and enjoy your bike!
    Mikie

gunga din, herzalot, HBkites and 5 others like this.
  9. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    Our bikes are like our children, unfounded or unsolicited criticism will be taken personal.

10. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Kind of self-conscious there bro. Put on the "get service" glasses and try and see things from their perspective. They could possibly point out the differences about a lot of stuff people bring in, to get through the drudgery of it. Bike shop mechanics tend to have to work on heaps of crap brought in by customers that don't know how to remove and install the most basic of parts, and they're poorly paid, in it more because of their passion. But then again, there are some shops with employees that have anti-social traits that may be crossing the line (including being racist).

Seen this before on another forum where it turned into the OP dramatizing things and getting a pitchfork mob ready to turn a shop inside out, except the guy never said the name of the shop himself. Someone else who knew the OP, deduced which shop it was and explained the circumstances to better understand both sides of the story... basically, it turned out to be like the wisdom about how calling something stupid, only proves that you are stupid. The kind of snobbery you see could fall under the same wisdom...

Downside of growing thick skin is that you become as insensitive as the guys who were insensitively pressing your buttons, and it becomes a chain reaction where everyone becomes insensitive, plaguing those who are still sensitive. An alternative is to become a man of wisdom.

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hi. My name is Steve, and I have little rotors.

Mike.the.Spike, CarlS, Oaken and 12 others like this.
  12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I work in a shop and I never try to judge someone on what they have or what they are wanting. I listen to what they want and try to give them what they want at a fair and reasonable price. Some customers just have upgraditis and, who am I to stop them. You just have to discuss all the options that they can afford. Shops need to make money and upselling is a part of all service industries. Some just go too far.

I am not trying to have a mob mentality, just a prospective of a shop employee. If they can't treat you fairly, find a new shop.

13. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    215Lbs. 160/140.

I know, I know, I know.........One day I might regret it.

(to my defense, all my rotors are original size.)

Mikie, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Will I look like a rotor-size-snob-target if I mention that I don't even know what size my rotors are???

Faust29, herzalot, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    205 in the front and 180 out back. Anything smaller is gold and blue after the first long DH. I'm a big guy and a late/hard braker.

Luis, Faust29, Daddy Dirtbag and 5 others like this.
  16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I am 230 and I have 180's front and rear. I have been using that size for a while. Probably could use a 205 in front.

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    205lbs... 180's front and rear. I keep it simple for maintenance. Never have to worry about having the wrong size rotor and this comb seems to stop just fine with the ICE Tech Resin Finned Brake Pads.:thumbsup:

Faust29, herzalot, Voodoo Tom and 2 others like this.
  18. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    203's front and rear. Im heavy and it keeps the brakes cool. used to do more steep dh and now i keep it a lot mellower but still do long descents, dont see a reason to change. Dont worry about what other people think, screw them jesus you were close its not like you were trying to use a bagel as a rotor or something.

Mikie, UPSed, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  19. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    203 and 185..really? Sheesh, what are you thinking! :rolleyes:

Mikie, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  20. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Hi Steve, my name is Jaime and I'm 200/180 and I feel great !

Mikie, Luis, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  21. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    There is no disadvantage to big rotors unless your trying to save weight.

Mikie, knucklebuster, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have a big rotor in front and a small one in the rear. Not sure of exact sizes 8" and 6" I think. Looks funny, works great. I weigh 215 with pack. I use a LOT of front brake when I really want to slow down. My DH bike has two 7" rotors, I think. Not sure.

23. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Can't really argue with that, though I'm sure there's some disadvantage in the peloton :whistling:

24. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Being a rider of somewhat larger proportions, I will make mincemeat out of smaller rotors. I thought you were going to say you got flak for running tiny rotors, but I guess the tables were turned. I usually end up at 203/203 or at least 203/180.

If someone made a comment about my large rotors, I would just say, "Why yes, they are quite large, and bless your little heart for noticing!"

Nothing wrong with 3x9 or 2x10. It's just gears and a chain.

I work in a shop too, and I'm just as excited to see a 1995 bike as I am a 2015 bike, maybe more. I like the older stuff too.

Customers are an important commodity these days. If you're going to pay LBS prices for your cycling needs, they should at least do their best to make sure you leave with a smile on your face if at all possible. I think I'd find a new shop that appreciates my business if possible.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Oaken and 4 others like this.
  25. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    OP, you ought to show up at your LBS with this setup and ask for a bleed, just for grins and giggles...:laugh:
    Gatorbrake-dual-hydraulic-front-disc-brakes-carbon-rotors01-600x450.jpg

Faust29, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  26. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Do you also wear spandex, use clipless pedals, have a carbon bottle cage...loser?

Dean

HBkites, Mikie, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  27. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Mikie, knucklebuster and Cyclotourist like this.
  28. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  29. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I see no real reason for that. A tad bit overkill in my opinion. Cool looking though.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    You must not ride the gnar and steeps that I do....I absolutely need all that braking that I get from those dual rotors....on my singlespeed.

Faust29, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.