IRC Shooting

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Dec 2, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I am surprised that nobody on this forum has said anything about this yet...

Words fail me about the state of our nation. 5 institutional shootings in 5 weeks. My heart hurts for the families of those who perished today. Everybody in the Inland Regional Center works for noble social causes. Who knows why someone would target this particular place and time or these particular people.

Thoughts and prayers to the 1000s who will be directly impacted by this, through the loss of a relative or friend, through the injuries sustained, through the emotional trauma and guilt of those who survived. Through the social causes these people served, and the community that is now profoundly wounded.

I am sure some of you were directly impacted as well. My thoughts and prayers to you, for whatever that's worth.

2. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I followed the story all day on the radio at work. Pretty disgusting some one plans out an attack like that on innocent people. At least the 2 suspects are dead. Hope they catch the 3rd if there is one.

Sasquatch9billion, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    One of the shooters/accomplices house is about a mile away. Three plus copters in the air.

Inland Regional is a big presence in the social services scene out here. Tragedy all around.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    "Like" is such the wrong word for your posts. How about "thanks" or "I appreciate that." For this thread, pretend it says "thanks."

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have no words... I'm just numb.

6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Understood, and thanks for that. This is impacting a lot of people, directly and indirectly. My co-worker's husband works in the Federal building next door to IRC, and was in lock-down all day. Friends here in town are two streets over from the home they're currently surrounding. But that's nothing to the tragedy unfolding in San Bernardino.

7. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    :cry:...........

Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I was on the road doing interviews all day today and only heard about it from my passenger who caught it on Facebook around 6:30pm. I'm still in shock at the gravity of this inhuman act.

What a crazy uprise in violence this year by such ill people.
    It makes me sad to think people can harm others in such a sensless manner.
    There are actually sections of my week where I have noticed indications of developing a near phobia as I am exposed at my job and at church. What a drag...

9. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    The lock-down affected my work too, as I work for UPS which is about about an 1/8th of a mile away from where the SUV was stopped and those two suspects killed.

They had us shut and lock down the facility which is hard, cause it has about 50+ bay doors, then we got rounded up an had roll-call to see if any suspects were hiding with us. And then bomb threats came into the hospitals that were helping victims, which my wife works at one of them too. Incredibly stressful and confusing day to say the least. But its all good now.

10. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Our thoughts and prayers are with the families .Thank you.Take care of each other.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I know what you mean by this (your personal local conditions have calmed down), but in the larger context, I disagree whole heartedly (all is not good).

Note: I edited this to make it even more clear that I am not dis'ing riiz.

12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    It saddens and disgusts me to continually hear of these cowardly acts. My heart and prayers go out to the victims, families and friends who's lives were affected by this tragedy. Kudos to law enforcement officials for their heroic efforts.

13. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    This nation is at war people. It's going to get a lot worse.

I'll stop there before I get spun up.

14. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    More like the world. This kind of stuff sucks obviously. Be vigilant and live your life daily.

Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  15. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    What I can't comprehend is why would a religious group have so much hate??

I understand disdain for people that have done you wrong - I just remove those people from my life. But why kill over a god you can't see?...... :cry:

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    No good answer Rox. People can find reasons in their holy books (any of them...I've read a few) by taking it literally or out of context.

Case in point, solely as an example: Christians are justified in ostracizing and even killing gays if they take the Old Testament literally. It really does say that.

The Koran can be interpreted as calling for the death of all infidels.

I think even the Kama Sutra could misinterpreted as calling for women to be the playthings of men.

No good answer, only self defense and the Platinum Rule: Do unto others before they do unto you.

Edited: Yes, the Platinum Rule does apply...why soften it? If a culture stuck in the 7th centruy declares that your culture must be wiped out, why soft-pedal the reaction? Really...take them out before they take you out. Enough with the feel-good, we can talk them out of this bullpuckey.

The only difficulty with this is defining the bad guys, since they don't wear uniforms that identify them as such. There will necessarily be much collateral damage, which will inflame certain uneducated, witless, and ignorant segments of the great unwashed to hate us. C'est la vie..it's no worse than we face anyway.

17. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Very sad and disgusting to watch.

My understanding of these people is they want to start a war between all Muslims "radical" or not against everyone else. Muslim people better write their own new testament and completely separate themselves from the Koran as it is now. Otherwise I think the "radical" ones will get their wish. Cause if these shootings keep happening, you are going to see Mosques burning and random acts of violence towards all Muslims. I hate to say it, but such is the way it goes...

18. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    I typed a whole thing up on this thread and deleted it. I guess in the end, there's not much I can say about shootings that hasnt been said. In general, they are all a form of terrorism as far as I'm concerned. Why people do it is just a detail.

Mass shootings seem to be all the rage these days, how do we want to handle it?

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I'm pretty sure more people have been killed in the name of religion than for any other reason. Not saying this killing was inspired by a religious motive, but many have decided it must be. Unfortunately, it looks like they might be right.

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Except the shooter was a former, apparently quite unhappy, employee of the department having the party. Yes, he was a Semite, and apparently Muslim...but it's murkier than that given what we know today.

21. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Crazy, just crazy.

Edited to remove the rest. I don't know what I feel, but this probably isn't the place for me to figure that out...

Mikie, ridinrox, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I try very hard to reserve these kind of conversations for Facebook, but I will go this far to make this comment, and in no way does this response result from frustration... just simply an observation.

I find it interesting that of all subjects connected to death by murder we condem religion the most, and with the most disdain. I personally abhor murder connected to any motive as I'm sure you all do as well (unless you are a mountain biker AND a serial killer; but that brings to mind @hill^billy, as he is a serious mountain biker and he can kill several boxes of cereal in one sitting, but I digress...).

I think Greed and Race are the causes of most deaths in the history of murder. Hitler certainly did a number, by the numbers of Jews he tortured and slaughtered. We always seem to forget that.

I want to point out one thing and hopefully we can get through this: Wars have been fought over land, assets, racial discrimination, politics, and yes religion. But it seems that when religion and murder is the subject, we tend to get more riled up than with others.

One other point which for some may be difficult: It's mankind that has misinterpreted their religions to include hate and violence. Some may disagree and say, "What about the Old Testament." At first glance that could easily be interpreted that way. But after a longer deeper investigation, there are answers.

Now if someone wants to discuss or debate "offline" I'm more than willing to have an emotionally responcible conversation.

One last thing, just because I happen to be the physical owner of imtbtrails, this is our site and OUR forum. I am not king, and I believe I can be called out as being out of line just as much as the next member. I know I have to be the one to make final decisions here, but I am always open for correction.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    IT is very sad.....but it also does not surprise me anymore.

I will not refer to specifics about those that committed this crime....they do not deserve my time and effort.

I will say that I am not a religious person....actually I don't believe or trust in any of it. If you do....great for you....it's just not for me.
    Having said that....the people that do these kinds of acts in the name of "(insert your god here)" are weak minded. To believe that they are going to be rewarded for their wrongdoings.

You see it in Bible Belt....errrrr, the South. You see it in the Middle East. People think these made up stories are the instructions to live by. Then, the follow the teachings of someone else who decides they know how to interpret the story better than everyone else. Those followers get brainwashed into doing things that you cannot phathom.

We see it all the time....just look at Gay Marriage. Who are the ones so affraid of it.....Bible Thumpers....why? because their story of fiction tells them so. When at the end of the day, it really has nothing to do with those people, and does absolutely nothing to affect their daily lives.

These are just my opinions.....I usually try to stay out of religious and political debates....people tend to get too worked up and take everything too damn personal.

Now before you get all huffy and puffy....I was raised in a Baptist home....however, we were not pressured/forced into church like the Catholics. My parents allowed us to learn and decide on our own.

24. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    I see things as you do. Religion seems to be divisive by design unfortunately.

25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I usually stay under my rock when I see posts like this. Heard from a friend that a CHP buddy of ours lost his 27 year old daughter in the shootings. I remember how proud he was of his little girl. Very sad. Condolences to all who were affected.

26. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I've been keeping a close eye on this incident and the news coverage. I work closely with OCRC and have referred out-of-county clients to IRC in the past. OCRC and IRC service the most vulnerable people in our communities, not just developmentally but socially and economically.

@UPSed, I'm sorry to hear about your buddy's daughter. I think I can speak for myself and our staff here at my agency that our thoughts are with them.

herzalot, Mikie, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Amazing that we haven't descended into name calling and insults. Thank you. Mikie doesn't even have to delete his own post!

Incredibly sad to hear of the 27 yr old daughter. I look at my little one and can't imagine living with the heartache of loss.

28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I think that we are a special group...
    I'm so very proud of the imtbtrails members. Like family we have to work through lifes challenges, and this terrible act committed in San Bernardino is truly a challenge.

We come from all walks of life with a multitude of perspectives. It is possible to openly discuss any issue with respect for others. What has happened is horrific and we need to be able to express our thoughts and feelings in a safe place. This needs to be a safe place.

One of my biggest fears for imtbtrails is for it to crumble from the differences of personal perspectives outside of Mountain Biking as the subject matter. It's like anything else in life related to relationships, once something has gone too far... there's no going back.

I fear politics and religion may get in the way of a Forum about cycling. I would prefer not to discuss it on imtbtrails, but I would never ban it. As long as we use mature judgement and remember the one imtbtrails golden rule and that is to NEVER attack another member persoanlly, we could navigate safely.

Naturally, it's always safer if we stick to mountain biking...:sneaky:
    I really care abnout all of you, very much.

Cyclotourist, Oaken, LLPoolJ and 6 others like this.
  29. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I'm not getting much into this one, I will say the wrong thing cause I'm a cerial killer! Even though, I have a very sad heart right now, but my eyes are wide open! We must put aside our silly political correctness and report anything and everything suspicious! I'm so happy to finally hear this from our authorities, kind of like pulling our heads out of our asses!

30. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

My son works at UCLA, he was scanned this morning for guns and bombs! Do you think it's changed just a bit more? If you thought you weren't safe before you could pretty much avoid the places you felt were not safe, well I got news for us, nowhere is safe! Tell your loved ones you love them each and every time you, or they leave out the door, if you hadn't done so already.