Knee Injury

Discussion in 'Health' started by Stkx66, Jan 29, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I've been having more bad days than good ones lately with my knee. I dread walking my dogs around the block. My daughter lifts weights now at a small gym and her trainer does deep massage therapy on the side. Courtney tested her out for 'her' stiff muscle issues and recommended me to give her a try- so I did. Talk about Hilgas house of pain! I could hardly walk into this lady's house last Wednesday and wasn't much better when I left. Today, 6 days later I'm having a good day-very little clicking in my knee and only mild discomfort. I stretch every morning. My knee feels barely ok but I could've also said the same thing 2 months ago. I had an appointment this afternoon with my Ortho doctor and told him I was having more bad days than good ones but today I was doing much better. He said people like me bounce up and down- good days and bad. He assured me that my knee is strong and I can do all my normal activities. He gave me a business card to schedule surgery down the road or not. No pressure. I'm going back to Hilga's house of pain again next week and see how it goes.

I was bummed to miss on this past weekend's group ride but I've been hurting so much lately that I've become hesitant and protective when I do feel good.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, ~JB~ and 9 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This "getting old thing" can really suck at times...

HBkites, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 7 others like this.
  3. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    The only time my ankles and knees don't hurt is when I'm riding my bike.
    Go figure.

HBkites, Mikie, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I definitely did *something* to my left knee back in March when I spun out on my snowboard while getting off a chairlift. I don't know if it was a "pop" or a "snap" at the time. This is the same knee that has no menisci and where I tore every ligament but my PCL in a dirt bike crash in 2009. I have a high pain tolerance so I'm rarely in pain but there's no telling what sensation may come across my knee during any activity. Sometimes my knee just gives out (usually outwards), sometimes I have some sharp pains at the bottom of my kneecap that go away after 30 seconds and when I'm riding, I'll get this sensation that something is being dragged across my kneecap (I always use the analogy of wound up rubber band being un-spun as it goes across). It's not painful, just discomfort and weird.

I haven't sought any treatment because like I said, I'm not in pain it and doesn't keep me from doing anything I want to do but mostly, I don't want to be told I need surgery when I have a MTB trip to Nelson/Revelstoke/Fernie coming up in late July/August.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  5. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Every day is better. I went to see the message therapist again last week. I'm pain free now. Swelling is gone. I still have a click in my knee but every day it's much less. As time goes by I wonder how much of my later issues have been from the actual knee injury and how much is from a tight IT band or muscles or all of it. I can say this for sure and that is the deep muscle massage therapist I believe has been hugely helpful. She also does cupping that draws blood into the area as part of her therapy. ( There were 6 cupping points on my leg. I didn't take pics because it did not look like I got hit with a racquet ball like my back does. )

IMG_6752.jpeg

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    CJ… Mrs. Watson comes back from the Chiropractor looking like that. I thought she got into it with a giant Octopus, but then I realized there are no Octopuses in the wild of NWA…:gotnothing:

7. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    There are, but you haven't seen them yet.
    Stay indoors during mating season.....

Tom the Bomb, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    o_O Dayyyyyyyum…. Good to know.

Tom the Bomb and herzalot like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Back hickies?! :eek:

:D:cool:

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    My Girl friend in HS used to get mad when I left her neck looking like that. Guess now it a thing and accepted. :cool:

Tom the Bomb, Oaken, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  11. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    These hickies hurt! The therapist is mean! And I pay for it?:confused:

12. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I swear I've had it! I'm done with nagging knee pain. Dumb pain during the day. Waking up with stabbing pain at 3:00 am. I've made another appointment with the knee doc. I expect to have him go in and trim the Plica. I get better then I do something to irritate my knee. It gets better then starts all over again. Date of injury- Dec. 12, 2022 riding down Boobytrap at Black Star canyon throwing out my leg planting it and then twisting it to keep from eating it in a rain rut. I'm going to tell the ortho to leave the fine cutting tools behind and just bring a chainsaw. :p

Danimal, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Sorry to hear. I hope you find a swift and effective remedy. :thumbsup:

14. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!

A good massage therapist is priceless!

Danimal likes this.
  15. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Yep. Orthoscopic surgery some 40 years ago and living with it ever since. Most days are fine, a few remind me, but I just keep on going. Believe me when I tell you good shoes are a game changer.
    Prepare now for the arthritis you will have later.

Stkx66 and herzalot like this.
  16. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I went to see my ortho on a day I was not in pain or limping. He examined my knee after Xrays and said that if I'm having more good days than bad to consider no surgery but if I want it another MRI is required and would still be a 4-6 week wait and like he said before that he would go in fix what's necessary and trim/remove the Plica if needed. The mood I was getting from him was to continue on my current path with stretching and exercise. My pain issues comes and goes but is getting better slowly. I can do all my activities as normal. I have no limitations. There is no ride I won't do because of my knee. All I can do is to be consistent about stretching which I have not been.
    IMG_9424.jpeg

IMG_9426.jpeg

Bluesrider and Old&InTheWay like this.
  17. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Unfortunately, this is very true for many......and it sucks.

Bluesrider likes this.
  18. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Good thing we like biking..... Great for our joints!

Bluesrider, Stkx66 and herzalot like this.
  19. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Agreed.
    All my joint pain goes away when I ride.

Danimal, Bluesrider and herzalot like this.
  20. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Ditto, no pain while riding. After the ride is another story

Stkx66, herzalot and Danimal like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?