Thieves Suck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faust29, Apr 14, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  2. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Frickin'Aholes!
    Thing is, crimes are hardly prosecuted or punished now. Criminals know this.
    Coworker had the cat stolen off of his Prius this week. Got it on Ring video. Can't read license plate, cops barely take a report.
    Insurance says $2700 and a few months.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It's not new... :thumbsdown:

Almost 20 years ago... I lived in one of those "tough on crime" states. I lived in the county with newly elected Sheriff Grady Judd. He's still in office all these years later, and has made quite the YouTube name for himself! If you haven't seen a Grady press conference, they are worth seeing... :thumbsup:

When our car was stolen from our driveway one night, I expected some action! Instead, with the number of crimes being what they were, I was mailed a questionnaire to complete and mail back. Snail mail. No deputy, no report on scene, no contact of any kind. They recommended over the phone that I walk the streets to look for my belongings, because thieves usually dump personal items. That was actually a helpful tip, but somehow my favorite Raybans didn't make it to the discarded pile. :thumbsdown:

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Interesting. I saw a red Spesh HT like that one on our ride up the Toll Road recently. The guy with it looked old and out of shape, but he was way up at Henninger Flat so he couldn't be that out of shape.

5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Woke up on wed morning to two smashed windows on my wife’s Kia Soul. The only other time I’ve had a car breakin was at the trestles parking lot 20 years ago. We’ve gotten so complacent living in laguna beach, made the mistake of leaving a pile of stuff, mostly jackets and crap, in the car. They did get an old but nice camera that was in a backpack, stupid of us to leave that in there I know. The cop who responded said there are lots of car breakins in the area now, don’t leave anything visible in the car, valuable or not.

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I had my Honda broken into and Maui Jim sunglasses taken at Crystal Cove. Almost left the bike in the car but chose to take it into the room, glad I did. Violated my own rule that is don't leave anything in the car you aren't willing to lose, or stay close to the vehicle. The soft on crime mentality is coming home to roost.

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It seems trailhead break-ins are happening more and more these days. If I drive to a trailhead, I make sure nothing is visible to the passersby in my vehicle. Not much more I can do.

I'm continuously reminding Jennifer to take her Trader Joe's shopping bags out of her truck. She reminds me they're empty, and I remind her that the thieves don't know that. It's not worth a broken window.

8. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    There has been a few break-ins at one of our trailheads in the middle of nowhere. We know it was the locals based on the Sheriff that was sent. We now don't leave anything in the cars and don't bother locking the doors either. So far all is good.
    I do put tape on the bottom of the door to see if anybody opens it.

9. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    had my cat stolen at monroe on a crowed sunday morning

Danmtchl and Danimal like this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Huh? I just can’t understand why this is happening? If this is nothing new than why the uptick? Must be some reason? Wish I could put a finger on it?

Obsidian and Danmtchl like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Something new?

News article from 1880 about a stolen velocipede. I'm trying to find the resulting trial, but haven't had any luck yet... :laugh:

Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 11.13.08 AM.png

12. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    There's no "action" to take on a simple stolen car report. 99% of the time there is no evidence and cops don't go looking for specific stolen cars that could be anywhere. They are generally found when your white, VW Jetta with a license plate of BUBBLES shows up in the ghetto. Profiling goes a LONG way in the recovery of stolen cars. :whistling:

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ours was found in less than a day… At Disney World. :laugh:

Their reason for not responding was distance. One deputy for 1000 square miles…

Sasquatch9billion, UPSed and Danmtchl like this.
  14. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    When I worked as a civilian at an OC agency the early 90's, we required all stolen car reports be made in person so you could personally sign the report. Supposedly to prevent fraud...or at least be able to prosecute people if necessary. In San Diego, we stopped that practice in about 2010 (?) because the liberal City Attorney at the time refused to prosecute people for filing false police reports. Luckily, he only lasted one term. The City never went back to taking the reports in person and does them over the phone...along with identity theft and a whole host of crimes when there is no evidence to collect.

Danimal and Danmtchl like this.
  15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We had a Levo Pro stolen out of our shop last week, the charger was next to the bike but he didn’t take it. So someone comes back to order a charger a few days later and when he comes to pick it up, we stalled him and the cops came and arrested him. This fool was out on bail with serious pending charges against him already. EA010C53-D7D1-4573-BBDB-10FA3D029A10.jpeg

siata94, OTHRider, Toby1 and 15 others like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I loved doing media ride alongs with the drug interdiction officers. Good afternoon! I pulled you over for your cracked windshield, oh, and the three kilos of cocaine in your front bumper. Those guys were good.

17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Many cities (you can guess the type) are banning their officers from doing these types of stops. My son is working over in the PHX Metro area and routinely makes huge recoveries off traffic stops. A few weeks ago, he and his partner got 5000 (yes thousand) doses of fentanyl off one guy.

18. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Huh?

Tom the Bomb and Danmtchl like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Nobody is held in custody for non-violent crimes. It's the State's way of keeping the jail populations lower. Meanwhile, that freed crook is out committing crimes the very same day he is released and of course, he will be a no show on his court date.

In recent history, my local PD, Glendale PD, has busted the same guy committing the same crime up to two times in 24 hours, just hours after release from the first charge. On the third offense, they hold them in custody. There is no release. This has happened multiple times with multiple subjects. The criminals know that they will be released so they don't sweat an arrest.

20. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Both of these vids pertain to THEIFS!
    Seems as though there is a slight uptick in just about everything around here, watch them both, this will be affecting you soon!
    https://www.bitchute.com/video/5LfxNS8fft7N/

https://www.bitchute.com/video/OXlXv10uYB48/

Obsidian and Danmtchl like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
  22. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    The first vid is just disgusting, but hardly surprising given the area. :poop::poop:

For the second, as I understand it, the "flat rate" is just a base rate, and we will then be charged for usage on top of that. They are trying to sell it as a "flat rate," which obviously would not work. They say the Kw/hour rates will also go down, but .... come on. :laugh:

23. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Seems like stuff is getting worse. I finally just replaced my bike that was stolen in October. My brother had the cats stolen off of his tundra in his work parking lot. He got lucky and his work covered the cost. The thieves ruined basically the whole exhaust and I think it was around $8k to replace.

I live on a pretty quiet street, which is nice and the neighbors all look out for each other, but there’s definitely been more questionable activities noticed.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    At the risk of being political - property crimes and theft aren't crimes anymore. That's just stupid. There has to be a better way to achieve "liberty and justice for all."

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  25. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    I believe it, in the cement jungles, but in our area we have more than a few LEOs living here, everybody has at least one big dog, and probably have a few guns on them or near them.
    Yes, everyone has their neighbors cell number.
    I did have a bale of hay stolen one time.
    There is the normal "kid" stuff that goes on, like riding a dirt bike or a horse to the store and the 4X-ing in a open field.
    I don't go down south to the LA/OC area unless I have to.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?