Knee Injury

Discussion in 'Health' started by Stkx66, Jan 29, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    In mid December 2022, I was working long hours and remember crouching down and feeling a twinge in my knee. Pain began filling my knee days after but it came on slowly. My knee is just tired I thought. December 27 I was finally free from work and could go back to a regular riding schedule. I believe I hurt my medial tendon. Pain on the inside of my right knee. I went to a local medical supply and bought a knee brace and then bought another off Amazon. Key words spoken by the salesman at the medical supply that I don't find a "quick to go in and cut" knee ortho surgeon. My knee is getting better. It would click here and there. Swollen. Clicks and seizes when unloaded- when sitting on the couch with my feet up. It's time to ride and I don't want to go see a doctor for this. I just want it to go away and get back to riding. On January 13 I kicked a box in my living room and re-injured my knee. Since then I'm icing my knee every night for 30 minutes. Yesterday while riding up Black Star I tried to ride a small wheelie and my knee couldn't take the extra load nor can it take jumps or drops on the bike. This morning my knee still hurts but I think I'm slowly improving. I know I can ride regular rides but I put my knee strength at 70- 80%.

Mikie, UPSed, Danimal and 8 others like this.
  2. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    All that says to me is "Go to the doctor."

Agent Orange, Sidewalk, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Brutal. You should see a professional for advice.

Mikie likes this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yeah... I have to say that this sounds like something you should have checked, Steve...

Be smarter than I was in March 2005 when I did a flying tackle and landed on cement with the left knee. A doctor visit or two would have saved me a few years of discomfort. :oops:

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Put some 'tussin on it. It'll get better in no time! :thumbsup:

No - sorry. Sounds like it's actually injured and may need some form of medical intervention beyond ice or pills. :thumbsdown:

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Well that sounds like a fun time......

I'm someone who will grit it out and just deal with the discomort.....as a cyclist...knee issues are one of those that I don't mess around with. Bad knees keep me off the bike.

May just be a slight strain or sprain....but probably best to have it checked out.

Mikie, Voodoo Tom, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  7. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    I had orthoscopic surgery on my left knee after a MX issue in the early 80's.
    I didn't have the surgery until the mid 80's after my knee kept putting me on the ground playing ball every other week.
    The Doc told me to open it up and fix it all would have a long recovery and since I wasn't going to play professional ball, he didn't think it was worth it. He could go in and "clean up the damage" and I could still have a good working knee.
    Done deal. Surgery was done, walked out of the hospital, a month later I was playing ball and riding my bike.
    Fast forward to today. Knee reminds me every day, but when I'm on my bike no discomfort and the more I ride (choosing the right trails) the better it gets.
    YMMV

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    6 responses so far and there is complete agreement. That doesn't happen on the internet. :eek: It's a sign you need to see the Doc.

Sidewalk, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 5 others like this.
  9. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Or.....you give it a couple more weeks, then you go see the doctor, only to find out it is more serious than you think.....now you are a couple more weeks behind in feeling better.

Or....you give in and see the doctor now, then you know for fact what is wrong. If it is serious, then you already started the process of healing...if it is not serious, well then all you did was waste a few hours and you are on the correct track. Win/Win

Sidewalk, Mikie, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  11. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I'm going to look for one tomorrow and get it checked out.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Steve I’m sorry to hear about this. My tried and true method for injury recovery involves countless Ice cold Pacifico's and then eventually giving in and going to the doctor because I get tired of hearing my wife tell me I need to go to the doctor. Once I do give in and go it almost always turns out there's something wrong and I should've listened and gone earlier. I hope for your sake it's something minor and you can get back to 100% well before Kokopelli. If not near perfect I wouldn't chance it doing Koko.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    This is exactly what happens in my household :laugh:. She keeps telling me to go to the Doc and I'm like...Naaaa I don't need to do that......Ok Steve, if you're going I'll go too. For my F-d up hip. Too Hip, gotta go!

And my opinion Hawt Dwag Steve, because random dude on the 'Nets opinion matters, you should go. :thumbsup:

14. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I went and saw an Orthopedic Doctor today. They took Xrays which looked fine. No bone on bone or anything like that. Everything looked normal. The doc said if I want more information then get an MRI. If not then go for physical therapy and tough it out. He is perfectly fine after examining my knee for me to ride my bike. He said most likely I pinched my cartilage and an MRI will reveal that for possible surgery or not. I'm giving it another week to schedule the MRI. If I make improvements next week I may check into PT and tough it out.

Mikie, bvader, Rumpled and 11 others like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    It never hurts to have MRI prescriptions ready to implement. Actually, it kinda hurts...you know what I mean.

Mikie, herzalot, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  16. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Where is Mikie?

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Exactly. I would think he would have a thing or two to say about the topic.

Paging the Godfather - @Mikie

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I shook my Magic 8 Ball and it said an MRI is going to reveal a torn meniscus. It will be on the inside of the knee. You will have outpatient arthroscopic surgery, it will take two weeks to heal and you will be back to riding your bike…
    upload_2023-2-4_22-58-21.jpeg

Sidewalk, Walleye, ~JB~ and 7 others like this.
  19. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I'm hoping to skip the above steps. Currently I'm whistling while limping on past the front doctors office on the way to the trails you might say-:whistling: I hope it just keeps getting better and I can put this hiccup behind me. My schedule has opened up and it's time to ride!:D

20. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    Get a compression sleeve for the knee and see if that helps. It will keep it warm and tight. It works for me.

Mikie, UPSed and Obsidian like this.
  21. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    When you need a little help from your daughter starting your 2004 KX 500. I made it 40 miles on race day and had to stop. MRI scheduled for March 7.

30354900-4541-476B-9B43-0CFA9AE52E12.jpeg

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, bvader and 7 others like this.
  22. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I went in for my MRI on March 8. I never had an MRI before. 30 minutes in the machine with a lot of clunking and buzzing sounds. My knee hurts worse than ever. Just a constant dragging pain but I don't find myself reaching for ibuprofen. My knee feels just ok in the morning but hurts in the afternoon. Loose, clicky and clunky. I still feel that I can pedal a bike around. My MRI reading with my doctor is next Wednesday.

Mikie, redwoods, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  23. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Much better than an MRI on your head.
    My knee had similar symptoms, including biking with no problems. Ended up being a complete tear of the meniscus.
    Recovery from the surgery was slow, but the pain did go away.

Mikie, redwoods, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  24. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I saw my doctor today and had my MRI results reviewed. He saw no tendon tears. Aside from mild arthritis he said most likely the Plica is bothering me. The initial pain was on the inside of my knee. That's gone. Now my whole knee hurts on the front and in the middle. Options: He can go in with 2 small incisions and trim/ remove the affected Plica or give me a cortisone shot and see if that does it. I chose the cortisone shot. If it doesn't work it's a minimum of 2 months before the surgery to be scheduled. For now 3 days rest and I can get back to normal activity.

25. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Fingers crossed.

redwoods and Stkx66 like this.
  26. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    All of you with knee, back, shoulder and elbow issues should do some research into stem cells before scheduling surgery. Many MMA fighters have had great results.

Faust29, Old&InTheWay and Stkx66 like this.
  27. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Not covered by insureance right?

Obsidian likes this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Don't forget the neck! :laugh: :unsure:

Hopefully the shot works, @Stkx66 ... Fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Yeah, my issue was that the ice cream wasn’t going to reattach itself to the cone properly with just an injection.

30. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I had my cortisone shot administered on March 21. Today, 20 days later, I feel like I am finally winning the battle. I rode up Telegraph road in Chino Hills today. My knee felt really good. I was able to stand up and peddle on the uphills and I could easily drop the saddle as needed stand / squat / crouch ( or load my knees ) to go down hill. I'm having more days of less clicking if that makes sense. If I were to describe how it feels now I would say my knee feels stiff. ( more tight? ) My retired doctor friend says you know when you are fully healed when you don't notice the injury anymore. I'm looking forward to that day. Here is the only pic I have of my MRI knee that my doctor said was the most interesting.

6AD55CCC-A67E-4471-8027-26B7A8F43F03.jpeg

Old&InTheWay, Y-not, scan and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?