Is the bike industry in trouble?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lost Kiwi, Jun 30, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. office

office Member

Name:
    office
    I've taken LA metro red line from valley to Hollywood or Downtown or USC many times. The heavy rail underground lines are good. Problem is that Los Angeles isn't centralized enough - there's like 6 "downtowns" - Downtown LA, Century City, Glendale, Burbank, Warner Center, Santa Monica's business district, probably more. The probability of living somewhere close enough to metro and also work somewhere close to metro is low. If LA county was its own country it would have the 19th largest economy in the world.

If I could commute via metro that would be ideal. Better than burning up my vehicles sitting in traffic. Cars make you poorer and sicker. Metro needs to build something over the 405 but rich neighborhoods stall it indefinitely.

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  4. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    They could build it, but you'd complain.

5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If they built it, I might use it. But it wouldn't be used enough to justify the cost, since the vast majority of folks aren't interested in going to South Main Divide.

Didn't carry it through to its logical conclusion, did you??? :Roflmao:Roflmao

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    See previous comment.

7. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    That was a statement of fact. A complaint would be something like "well, they built it but there's no A/C or heat, and the wheels are the wrong size, and the seats are plastic...."

As opposed to "there are not sufficient numbers to support it."

See the difference? No? Didn't think so.

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I’m probably the only person on the planet who lived in New York for over 20 years and has never been to NYC. I’m good with that… :laugh:

9. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    you've missed out on *the* Halal Guys :)

10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Don't know who they are...please expound.

11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I went to NYC to help launch a new equity business for my company in 2010 and had the OG Halal cart at 53rd and 6th, our NY office was right there back then. I’d say I hit that thing at least 8 times in 2 weeks while I was holed up in a 1bd suite at Le Parker Meridien. The Burger Joint inside the Meridien is a must try when in Manhattan as well.

12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    halal guys in NYC is good esp in cold weather. saw that they had one in Cerritos!! not the same...

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl and Danimal like this.
  13. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I believe the first franchise was in Costa Mesa. The line went around the plaza for weeks. Def not the same.

If you happen to go to nyc, be careful because 30' away is a cart that looks identical in color and signage. Only diff is
    the line is a lot shorter. But it's Halal Guy, instead of Halal Guys.

14. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    You can’t take the metro train without stopping at Union Station, going across the street to Olvera Street, getting some taquitos at Juanita’s then picking up a few sandwiches from Philippe’s (double-dipped) for the ride home.

15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    That's EXACTLY why we use the metro rail. :thumbsup:

16. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Homegirl cafe and Oriel right under the Chinatown stop of the GoldLine are fantastic too! Plus, you've got the state park and HP brewery right there as well.

Danmtchl likes this.
  17. Sasquatch9billion

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I'm going to dig this thread back up because I'd like people's current thoughts on the topic.
    Everywhere I look I see big discounts on new bikes, constant sales with the larger retailers and used bikes deals. Are things not going well for the industry as a whole recently?

I'll read a passing mention in articles online or with YouTubers (well, Path Less Pedaled is the only one I watch,) and of course the occasional comment in other threads here.

I know people mention e-bikes selling well. IDK, because I don't click on anything e-bike-related online. But, I see some shops already have reductions on the most recent Sant Ana Cruise abominations.

18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I've been shopping for a roadie for a while, finally settled on one and ordered.

I have been seeing reduced prices on already highly inflated prices. So, basically normal seasonal bike sales with less discounts than before.

I ended up with a direct to consumer. I actually like the looks and build of the bike, I didn't compromise. But the price/value ratio is better than the other I really wanted (Sworks Tarmac).

Danmtchl, herzalot, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    From what I am seeing, bike companies are having clearance sales every year to lower their stock that isnt selling like it used to. Covid made sales explode. Everyone wanted a bike since they couldnt go do the indoors things they were used to doing. Most of those people arent cyclists. Now there is an over population of unused bikes for sale out there. The industry is upside down until this sorts itself out. Just gonna take some time.

fos'l, Danmtchl, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It's just like the 1990s and country music - everybody had to be "in," and now they don't.

Lots of people bought mountain bikes, or road bikes, or gravel bikes, because it was the "in" thing. Then they realized it was actual work to make them move.

So they moved on to e-bikes.

It's possible I've got this completely wrong. But it's not likely.

mtbMike, fos'l, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  21. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    No trouble in my industry

2002-02_1.jpg

22. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    As a shop employee we’ve slowed down considerably in the sale of new bikes and service. During Covid it was sink or swim, either you got bikes by backordering them or search for companies that had some stock. But that kinda shot us in the butt. We have so many bikes in stock it’s crazy. We probably have 600 bikes on the floor and they aren’t moving at all, except the wheelie bikes which are can’t keep up the the stock on them.

23. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Everything I see reflects a glut of bikes that aren't selling. When Orbea Occams with Fox front and rear suspension and pretty good components all around (IMO), are selling for $2K, there's something amiss in the industry.

24. Sasquatch9billion

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    What's a wheelie bike? Those big BMX bikes all the 'Lil Homies are on?
    How are the e-bike sales?

25. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Yes, lots of shops who backordered bike for Covid are now having a lot of overstock, including us. We have tarmac and Roubaix models from 21, 22 and 23, and can’t sell them with discounts on them. It’s just slow everywhere I go.

Wheelie bikes are SE bikes that all the kids ride nowadays. Junk bike for a lot of money. But we sell a ton of them and the kids beat the crap out of them and they single handily keep up in business right now.

26. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I bought one for my nephew a few weeks ago.
    img_2151-jpeg.jpg
    $565 MSRP, and they wouldn't lower the price but offered a grand off a high-end Intense MTB. I ended up negotiating a free set of pegs and spoke covers, only to find out later online that pegs are included in the price! Shout out to Don's Bicycles in Rialto for the dog and pony show.

27. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Got me thinking. I'm surprised there's not e-peloton

28. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    those kinda bikes are in demand and parents pay full price for those. We don’t sell GT’s but I do like those. The best wheelie bike I’ve seen is the Haro Radical Rick model. I know a lot of you know who/what that is. Very cool bike.

29. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    You just lost your place on my Christmas list.....
    Peleton is junk. Keiser is the best.

Danmtchl, Stkx66, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  30. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I prefer rollers and old school ergometers :)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?