Cal Trans Hwy 39 Re-opening Project

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by evdog, Jan 23, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Comment period has already closed, but saw this today and wanted to give heads up this project is going on.

https://dot.ca.gov/DOT/caltrans-nea...it-YzchIZ2jzC1xsZMMRud9jV6DN-5NPsrtl7O-BAlM0Q

These are the alternatives being considered:

Alternative 1 - No-Build
    The ‘No-Build Alternative" proposes to maintain the existing conditions of the roadway without any improvements.

Alternative 2 - Evacuation Route (Minimum Build)
    This alternative proposes limited roadway restoration. Access to the roadway would be strictly for emergency service responders and maintenance access. The roadway would continue to be closed to public highway traffic.

Alternative 3 - Active Transportation Access (Shuttle and bicycle path facilities)
    This alternative proposes to restrict access to the roadway to recreational related activities (e.g., enjoying vista views, hiking, biking, picnicking, camping, fishing, etc.) and allow only onsite shuttle service to operate and ferry national forest visitors through the restricted roadway adhering to a maximum speed of 15 mph and exercising extreme caution at well-marked wildlife crossings. This alternative also proposes two sustainable public parking areas (at PM 40.0 & PM 44.4) to be constructed for visitors to park their vehicles and bikes. The main structural features include 1 major viaduct structure, two rock-sheds, and six soldier pile retaining walls.

Alternative 4-Full Opening
    This alternative proposes to rehabilitate and reopen the closed segment of SR-39 to public traffic and provide unrestricted access and a through-traffic connection between Interstate-210 (Foothill Freeway) and State Route-2 (Angeles Crest Highway). A roundabout feature is also proposed at the SR-2/SR-39 intersection. No parking lots are proposed for this alternative. The main structural features include 1 major viaduct structure, two rock-sheds, four viaduct/wildlife crossing structures, and six soldier pile retaining walls.

Alternative 5 - Viaduct Construction
    This alternative proposes to construct a 4.4-mile-long standard two-lane elevated viaduct structure adjacent to the existing roadway. The continuous elevated viaduct would bypass the slide area, connect SR-39 to SR-2, and allow wildlife, slide debris, and water runoff to pass underneath the highway. The proposed bridge section would consist of a 10-foot-wide outside shoulder and a 12-foot-wide lane in each direction. This alternative would restore public highway traffic connecting SR-39 to SR-2.

Alternative 6 – Single Travel Lane
    This alternative proposes to construct a single travel lane having a total roadway width of 20 feet (12-foot travel lane with a 4-foot-wide shoulder on each side of the travel lane). The lane would be shared by all traffic with room to pull over and allow on-coming vehicles to pass safely.

Alt 1 & 2 are basically status quo for us. Alt 6 seems like it would be a Sh!t show considering how many people would want to try and use the road. Alt 5 seems like basically an excessively expensive version of Alt 4. We've been fine without this access since 1978, maybe don't go overboard on spending here? Alt 3 would be good for us but most benefit to roadies. I don't see the need for a shuttle though. I think Alt 2 but allowing hike/bike access would be ideal. Alt 4 is just going to allow more idiots to get up to the race track that is ACH.

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It's about F'n time they did something about that mess there.

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I spent many moons in the Islip Saddle area via Hwy 39 in my misspent youth. So no, I haven't been fine with this since 1978.

That said, I fully realize the sh!tshow that would result in opening it back up to traffic from the LA basin to Hwy 2, no detour.

I'm of two minds...I'd love to get back up there in a reasonable amount of drive time, but I don't want to deal with the proletariat to do so....

Crystal Lake would once again become a gang-infested swamp, worse that it is today.

There's no good answer. But take heart!! The bighorns will win in the end and ALT 1 will win out. Both because of cost and because of sheep, that have not been molested in the last 45 years which makes people think it's always been that way.

The road falls off the mountain. It's just what it does. Caltrans wants to relinquish it but the Forest Service says they have to remediate it back to pre-road status to do so.

Ah well.

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    So...you do, or you don't want to molest sheep?

herzalot, Obsidian, redwoods and 2 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Why would I tell you?

herzalot, Obsidian, redwoods and 2 others like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I say, not only do they NOT restore the road, but that they dismantle what is left in the closed zone and remove it's scar from Mother Earth. Forever stranding humanity but also enriching the territory of the sheep. Long live the sheep!

I've been fine with the closure since is occurred and I absolutely remember when it happened. Good riddance...

7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Sometimes I want to order the lamb chops, but I would settle for a rib eye depending on your answer.

8. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If I butcher one I'll let you know, but only if they allow bikes from the Crystal Lake turnoff to Hwy 2. Otherwise, no deal.

9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I have no idea where this road is or where it goes :Roflmao

10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    San Gabriel Canyon, out of Azusa. Great roadie route.

Fueledbyex8, Faust29 and redwoods like this.
  11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Used to drive azusa canyon as a teen. Remember going down a dirt road off the 39 to go shooting. Fun times!

12. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I think this is a power play by Caltrans so they can abandon the road in place without reverting back to nature.
    Returning to nature would cost $ Caltrans does not want to spend. Though, going through this process costs $ they don't worry about spending.
    Everyone knows it will never open again as a highway because the sheep like it so much.
    Caltrans is just posturing with options like the viaduct to scare the USFS off.
    I hiked most of it once in the early 90's, I have friends who have ridden it (road) as recently as last year.

I think they should go with #2, as that is basically what they have been doing.
    Give USFS the carrot that it will help in fires while Caltrans doesn't have to spend big $_ to either remove or totally rebuild.

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This looks like your kind of climb: https://www.strava.com/segments/1638547

Before the fire, I was looking at a loop up the front side to Red Box, and then taking the Gabrielino and Red Box-/Roncon fire road out to the 39 and then back home.

Hopefully we get the "dark side" trails back soon. I know the Lowe Lifes have been in there for months working...

14. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I would love to have that section open... and put wrightwood accessible drive from my back yard... but it's probably for the best to leave it closed off.

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I headed up the Rincon-Shortcut fire road on the Sutra before it was open, because I didn't realize it was closed. Yep, that would be a really good ride.

Danimal likes this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

And it's more fun (and more gain) if you start from the bottom of GMR.

Danimal likes this.
  17. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Beach Boulevard - Huntington Beach!

18. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Option none: leave it be. it is a double track for wildlife. Eventually it will mostly fill with debris and be gone. abandon in place and keep Crystal lake the end of the road.